Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "Bio-Beer" that can extend life created

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Hambone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default "Bio-Beer" that can extend life created

This is an article that I read on the American Beer Drinking Club's website and thought I'd share here.

Rice University pupils are a bit different, for they have created a beer, called 'Bio-Beer', that could extend your life.

The Bio-Beer has three genes spliced into special brewer's yeast that produce resveratrol.

Resveratrol is the chemical in red wine, which is believed to protect against diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's and other age-related conditions.
The yeast cells produce resveratrol inside the cells. The cells have to burst for the human body to access the resveratrol.

After entering the body, resveratrol binds to the SIRT1 receptors, which are located inside mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell.

SIRT1 activity has been linked to combatting a variety of medical conditions, including diabetes and cancer. It may also play a role in the way calorie restriction diets have been shown to extend life in animal models.

What kind of beer? I don't know. Would I drink it? I guess it depends on what kind of beer it is, but I'd definitely give it the old college try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Every time we start messing with stuff though, something always seems to go wrong. I'll pass for two generations and see what the long-term effects are.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by albannach View Post
Every time we start messing with stuff though, something always seems to go wrong. I'll pass for two generations and see what the long-term effects are.
Cool in one way and scary in another. It could become ZOMBIE BEER!!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albannach View Post
Please expand on this comment. What has gone wrong, for example, with the bacteria we messed with to make insulin?

As to the beer - I'd drink it.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know how a lot of new drugs etc. seem to end up causing cancer, heart problems, obesity, etc. This isn't the "Debate Forum" (argument forum), so I'm not going to argue about it. Cheers.

Quick Reply