Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Best value in Dial-up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Hippie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I think Hughes.net is out... abit pricy, and you can tell when BAD weather is coming as the sat signal can go to hell

Thanks ollllllo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
MriswitH
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

DSL has some insane coverage nowadays as well as some pretty impressive bandwidth to your door. I would suggest giving your local telephone company a call to see what they can offer you.

I would also tend to shy away from satellite services as well. Our company used to be installers/resellers for one of the two-day satellite providers and they were utter crap. If you must go with satellite, check out Wild Blue; they're probably one of the best services out there if you have no other options. Being on the same subject as a wireless medium, check out some wireless high-speed providers in your area and feel free to hit me up if you find one and I would be more than happy to take a look and see if they are worthwhile. (We do dial-up and wireless high-speed service)

Dial-up is limited to 50.2kbps but your connection varies constantly as you are online. Just because you connect at 33.6kbps for example, doesn't mean that you aren't getting speeds as high at 50.2 or as low as 9200 baud, heh.

That being said, if you need to go with dial-up, there are a plethora of low-cost providers out there right now, such as NetZero, AOL (in some cases), etc. To help ease your pain, see if your provider will offer you something such as a dial-up accelerator. Most carriers nowadays offer this as a free and included service. (We do.. and yes, I work for an ISP )

Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Hippie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ollllo, I must not be focusing very well (busy multitasking), but those sites aren't making much sense to me...can you give me a short run down of how to use it.

thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Apparently the mapping isn't woking like it used to. It helped identify broadband providers. Try this DSL page to see if there is availability in your area.

http://www.dslreports.com/prequal

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply