Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Best overall gun... Target, hunting, home defense, shtf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
haus88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best overall gun... Target, hunting, home defense, shtf

What do you think is the best overall gun. I like the ruger 10/22 because there are many spare parts for the rifle and you can hold 50 rounds in one hand, downside it's a glorified BB gun. 12 gauge is nice but the rounds are heavy and you need the right round for the right job. I'm looking for my next rifle and its a hard choice.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Hmm. Well you cast a pretty wide loop with what you want in a single gun. A pistol of the largest caliber you can shoot accurately is best for home defense while a rifle is better for hunting game.

For me a rifle is what works and I have several for different reasons. Smaller calibers for home and varmints and bigger for the freezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus88
What do you think is the best overall gun. I like the ruger 10/22 because there are many spare parts for the rifle and you can hold 50 rounds in one hand, downside it's a glorified BB gun. 12 gauge is nice but the rounds are heavy and you need the right round for the right job. I'm looking for my next rifle and its a hard choice.
10/22 is a great rifle. In my area at the range I work at 22 is in the most demand right now. Dead accurate accuracy and in a prepper outlook it's the best round to have. And the upgrades for the ruger is unlimited. I love mine and would never get rid of it. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Best overall gun... Target, hunting, home defense, shtf
I would say for this all this criteria your best bet would be a AR15 or other carbine. You can target shot with it, you can hunt small-midsize game (depending on your state), SHTF check, Home Defense with proper training you could manage this one as well.

However, would you build a house with a Leatherman tool? It can be done, but its not the best for any part of house building. No one firearm is going to be the best in all these situations. Narrow your focus, and I'm sure we could help you better.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus88 View Post
I've seen someone shot with a .22 LR before, it's a little more than a BB gun that you realize. I would mention that for me I prefer the Marlin Model 60 over the 10/22.

I own 35 guns or so and the shotgun is my go to, it is what I say everyone should buy before anything else in the gun world, but you mentioned your in the market for a rifle.

Buying a rifle is always a hard choice for me, because I want them all!! I love the modular design of the AR-15, if the 5.56/.223 is good enough for our military, then it's good enough for me. I reload my own ammo for it and I tend to keep a stockpile around, well when I can keep my hands off of it. The SKSs can still be found at reasonable prices, but it's tricky to mount a scope and keep it sighted in, not to mention for just a bit more money you can have yourself an AK-47. I've been seeing a lot of AK-47 Ohio Ordinance recievers with Tapco furniture on them (not sure what company is building them) lately for $350-400. I'm guessing your not looking for a high powered bolt action, but I'll through in my .02 for the Savage if you go that route. Super accurate and reliable right out of the box at an unbeatable price.

Let us know what you buy!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3408 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus88 View Post
You want a laser gun.

For target, it's whatever you're best with and how far you want to shoot. Fully adjustable sights and a see under scope mount would be nice on any gun for that.

It's hard to beat the shortest shotgun you can get for home defense. And it doesn't have to be a 12. Nobody wants to get shot with a 20. A shotty gives you spread to fill a hallway and you can choose loads that may not go through little Suzie's bedroom wall.

For shtf, I'm torn between a shotgun, a .22 or an SKS.

You can take down a lot of targets with a shotgun and not have to be an expert marksman to do it.

A .22 is relatively quite, and you can get ammo to help with that, has longer range than a shotgun, lighter, smaller ammo, and can still kill stuff.

The SKS is a beast. Mine has been drug around wet and muddy and works every time. And it's got capacity. Drums, if you want. If you can tear up an SKS, you don't need a gun. You're already the baddest thing under the sun.

Thing with home defense and shtf is you may find yourself having to use it when you're tired, not on your best game, not in the ideal situation and in a jammed up spot. Shotgun.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Look into a .243. Very accurate and flat-shooting for target/range, good for varmints, and legal for deer in every state as far as I know (which is a downside to the .223, which isn't legal for deer here in VA and in some other states).

People Like This 
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
haus88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You want a laser gun.

That my friend wold be amazing!! Picturing DR. Evil saying lazy beams!

I'm not looking for one gun solve all I'm jut curious what you guys think. I'm going to head to the gun store when this dam blizzard is over. I have a 2 22's and working on my pistol permit when ever that happens aa the waiting game.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
haus88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya btw I'm a medic in a friendly NYC projects, I see people shot all the time n 22 rounds don't do too much. I had a perp shot 12times with a 22 and survived. 22 are nasty when they enter a cavity and can not escape, or follow a bone. Vs a 45 just devastating

Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I agree that a 22 is a good round and everyone should have one. Big draw back to them in my head though is once shot they are done. With a .223 or my favorite varmint round the .204 you can reload the brass

Quick Reply