The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Best naval bases?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Coronado for the win!

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #12
fishsniffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtd6628 View Post
I would say from who I have been talking to and the research I have done Everett wa would be my pick if I had one
The outdoor life and Beer scene is a good one.

There are few ships to pick from though as only 6 are homeported here. The motto of Naval Station Everett is "The Sailors Choice".

If you do get the chance, it really is fun out here. Sure, the weather sucks (rain), but if you can find your way around that, the outdoor life is phenomenal. From 4 wheeling, to hiking, to shooting, to camping, to mountain climbing, rafting, kayaking, fishing, we have it all. The bonus is all these things are close to base.

If you are very interested, let me know and I can tell you more. I'm 13 year Navy been stationed in Everett since 05 and would love to give a new squid some advice.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

If you're looking for someplace overseas but don't want to leave the country I'd recommend Pearl Harbor, plenty of ships there. Beaches, hiking, surfing, fishing and perfect weather 12 months out of the year (by a mainlander's point of view, the locals think 60 is freezing!) not to mention many beautiful girls. Really can't go wrong with paradise. The home brew scene exist, there's at least one home brew club that I know of, probably more. Anybody who gets bored is doing something wrong. Kuaii also has a Naval base. Also another thing nice about anywhere overseas is COLA (cost of living allowance)

Out of the country. There's Sigonella Sicily. White sandy beaches and some hiking. Don't know anything about the craft brew scene. I've only passed through a few times but it looks pretty nice. I have a few friends stationed there and they enjoy it. If you want to travel Europe on your leave good oportunity. I personally wouldn't put it at the top of my list.

Yokosuka, Japan has a Naval Base. Japan is okay. They do have beaches and hiking. If you happen to get stationed there you have to climb Mount Fuji. There is another base I know of in Sasebo Japan.. It's been 25 years ago but I would not step foot back at that place. Not much there to do.

Cubi Point in the Phillipines was a place to beat all other bases but it has long ago closed up. Much different Navy and world back then...

As said above San Diego and surrounding area very nice. There's a lot of outdoor stuff to do and the weather is beautiful all year long.

Best of luck in your Navy career!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I'd say Everett for a Quatermaster who likes craft brew.

San Diego is nice but the base is huge.

Don't let them fool you a Quatermaster is gonna be on a ship; it's an underway rate. But if you pick overseas go with Japan. I haven't heard anything bad about Gaum or Sicily but I haven't heard anything good either. COLA isn't what it once was but if you pick overseas you'll get it and if you make the navy your career it looks good if you do an overseas tour. Atleast that's the way it was when I was in.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

My Navy buddies liked their stations in Italy and San Diego. We have a huge Naval Air Station here in Jacksonville, FL. It's not a bad town to live in.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Quick Reply