Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Best beer stores in raleigh -- commercial beer selection, not homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
peripatetic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best beer stores in raleigh -- commercial beer selection, not homebrewing

Hey all,

I'll be working in Raleigh during the week for the next month or so, and I'm wondering where I should go for the best selection of local, national, and world beers.

I've heard that Peace Street Market (near where I'll be working) and Team Beverage (near where I'll be staying) are both good. Any other suggestions/comments?

(FYI, I've already found J. Betski's, which has an AMAZING selection of rare German beers. If you haven't been there yet, you must try it. The food is outstanding, and the beer selection is ridiculous (as long as you like German beers).)

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
peripatetic
Recipes 

OK, edit, Team Beverage is NOT close to where I'll be staying. After google-mapping it, I realize that I was misinformed. Is it still worth visiting if it is 25-30 minutes away? I'll be staying near Lynn Lake (near Creedmore & Lynn St.)

Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

J. Betski's is awesome. I had a kellerbier there a while back that was outstanding. I didn't note the name and the next time I went back they didn't have it. I wish I had wrote it down so I could look for it elsewhere.

Anyway, if you don't mind driving, try to make it out to Durham. http://samsquikshop.com/ has a huuge beer selection. North Carolina, US craft beers, and international beers are all well represented. I think it's supposed to be the best selection in North Carolina. It really is worth the drive. Don't let the appearance outside fool you, this place is a treasure trove inside.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
DirtyPolock
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agree with Sam's Quick shop. If you want to buy beer to take home this is a great location.

If you want to go out to a pub/bar I haven't had a problem with Tyler's taproom. I know that the one on Durham has about 50 beers on tap.

If you don't want to make it out to durham try a Total Wine & more store. You can buy six packs or mix and match your own six pack.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
peripatetic
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip! I definitely don't mind driving to Durham. Not to hijack my own thread, but are there any upcoming homebrew or other beer-related events in the area that happen during the week (Mon - weds. evenings) in the next 3-4 weeks?

(Also, @KingBrianI: that is an awesome list of brews you've got going on.)

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

+1 on Sam's. You'll have a hard time beating that selection.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
DaveO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sam's Quick Stop is the best in the area for bottle variety. Peace St. is next. Team Beverage is owned by the son of the Peace St. Market, but their selection and turn over is not as good.
The Flying Saucer is great for a beer bar, as is Tyler's in Durham.
There are several local breweries where you can get a growler filled. My favs are Aviator in Fuquay-Varina, Big Boss in Raleigh, Lone Rider in Raleigh, Triangle Brewing in Durham.
I believe on Thursdays Aviator Brewing releases a cask conditioned ale, w/ a real beer engine.
Raleigh Times bar has a great selection of Belgian brews.
Natty Greens just opened a brew pub in DT Raleigh
Raleigh has a great up and coming beer scene, you can usually find local craft beers on tap at most restaurants/bars, and the micro breweries are popping up everyday.
Have fun in town, I know I do.

Dave:-)

Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
peripatetic
Recipes 

I went to Peace Street Market and was quite happy! Still no Russian River beers to be found, but I guess that is too much to ask. I thought their selection overall was outstanding. I picked up a couple of Dogfish Head 4-packs (they don't distribute in my area yet). I'll go back to try some of their other stuff soon!

Then I went to Raleigh Times tonight on a recommendation for an inexpensive but tasty dinner. I asked if they had any good beers, and the guy just smiled and handed me the largest Belgian selection I've ever seen, plus an impressive selection of other craft bombers. Holy crap.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Reddheadedstepchild
Recipes 

The flying saucer is close. They are good folks there. I dont know if they still do it but tues nights used to be 2.00 pint nights. The last time I was in there they had alot on tap and a large bottle selection as well. The food there is hit or miss. But the beer is good as is the conversation.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Reddheadedstepchild
Recipes 

Also if you want some good pizza check out the mellow musheroom. Have fun and enjoy the area.

Eric.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Quick Reply