Besides fermenting things, what are your other hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been helping a buddy with a house that was also "improved" by the previous owner. We plan a project, start demolition, and find 3 more projects that must be completed before we can even resume the original. That can be really unmotivating work sometimes.

I bought a foreclosure 7/13/12. Though I knew it needed some serious work I figured I could get it livable in six months. HAH!! Like so many other people find, one job turns into five or six. After totally replacing the roof trusses and all. I gutted the whole thing and started from almost scratch.

The good news is that while it is not completely done (still needs trim and carpet) it's livable and I'm moving in next week. Which of course means I will soon get back to brewing after a five year hiatus.

One of my other main hobbies is bladesmithing / blacksmithing. Being tied up with the house I haven't fired up the forge in almost a year and a half. I hope to be getting back to that as well, pounding on red hot steel is very therapeutic and it goes very well with cold beer. :D

Usually a lot of trouble.

935461_4872345048796_17342812_n.jpg

It isn't as rad as restoring cars but I'm into photography, though it's taken a back seat to most things, I love tinkering around the house on various projects at my own pace (read: I lag), building random stuff out of wood, hiking with my pup and riding my motorcycle. I'm not super crafty and I don't have a green thumb so I'm kept from doing cool things like growing my own vegetables and fruit.

Hello said:
It isn't as rad as restoring cars but I'm into photography, though it's taken a back seat to most things, I love tinkering around the house on various projects at my own pace (read: I lag), building random stuff out of wood, hiking with my pup and riding my motorcycle. I'm not super crafty and I don't have a green thumb so I'm kept from doing cool things like growing my own vegetables and fruit.

I'm into photography as well. What type of pic do you shoot? Do you have a Flickr page?

Besides Brewing??
I suppose these days it's Motorcycles mainly.

Current collection is more road than dirt as Texas has crap for public riding land.
Supporting current and past toys and hobby's is a well outfitted Automotive garage with machining, welding and metal fabricating capability.. that in itself can be a consuming "hobby"

Firearms long and short entertain me as well.
Past adventures have been off road adventure racing in the US, Australia and elsewhere.

Building guitars (electric), hunting, fishing, and astrophotography. I need to find some hobbies that aren't so damn expensive!

Brewing related, learning to make cheese and yogurt.

Sailing, fishing, orchids, traveling...searching out good beer while sailing and traveling.

Rio Dulce Wing on Wing.JPG

ForumRunner_20131012_201440.jpg

ForumRunner_20131012_201546.png

Vela Narcosis Corpus Christi Jetties.jpg

I ride motorcycle, play guitar, dabble in stained glass, read a lot, walk with my beagles, and work around the house much for the same reason Epimetheus does- (creative is a good way to put it).....

Do you belong to any guitar/luthier forums? Wondering if I've seen your work

Im a member at both TDPRI and Mylespaul. I haven't posted in either for a while, I mostly just read and lurk. I did have a build thread going on a silverburst flying v on mylespaul a while back but I don't think I ever put the finished pics up. It actually turned out pretty nice. Which ones do you hang around?

Im a member at both TDPRI and Mylespaul. I haven't posted in either for a while, I mostly just read and lurk. I did have a build thread going on a silverburst flying v on mylespaul a while back but I don't think I ever put the finished pics up. It actually turned out pretty nice. Which ones do you hang around?

I'm on both, but (to me) tdpri pales in comparison to mlp

I agree. I still find lots of useful info on tdpri but the overall quality of the builds on mlp is flat out insane, not to mention the knowledge base.

Epi dot?

I got a sfg strat too...tortoise pg

Some of those prs are really nice:rockin:

Thanks, man :D dig a surf green Strat

Yes, the Epi is a Dot Studio... the name seems odd when there are no fretboard markers! It's an Epi "Custom Shop" model. Unlike a regular custom shop, they aren't actually made to order instruments, more like limited run. It has a cherry finish, quite different than the standard Gibson/Epi cherry and black chrome hardware. It's actually a factory 2nd that was refurbed by some guy in Nashville and resold with USED stamped into the headstock LOL Set up by a luthier buddy of mine, it is the best playing 335 style I have ever touched and sounds killer.

Both Strats are MiM and modded to one degree or another. The white one is a Richie Blackmore signature, added the black pearl guard, a 3rd Quarter Pound pup and 5 way switch. The Surf Green one is a Classic 50s, added pearl guard, 5way switch and Duncan Quarter Pound pups.

The Dean V has PRS HFS/Vbass pups and 5way rotor switching, the Z has an HFS in the bridge. The Epi V is heavily modded; Dimarzio X2N, Tone Pros bridge, locking Klusons, bone nut, custom made pearl guard.

The yellow PRS is my #1, it's a '91 Custom 24. The Purple ('94) and Bonni Pink ('08) Cu24s are both 10tops, the Bonni was built by the Private Stock team as part of a limited run. I swapped the tone pots in the '91 and '94 for Sweet Switches, the Bonni will get one too eventually. The McCarty has Dragon II pups in it.

I actually do a lot of textile arts. I spin my own yarn, usually starting with the raw fleece and processing it myself, and then either knit or weave with the results.

I'm also a big outdoors person, and am finally getting back into running and cycling. We've got these fantastic forest preserves all around the Chicagoland area with miles and miles of paved bike/running trails. Rumor has it there are also unpaved trails for running and hiking, but as klutzy as I am, running on unpaved/uneven trails is generally a poor idea.

Roadie said:
I'm into photography as well. What type of pic do you shoot? Do you have a Flickr page?
I do but it's seriously under utilized. I'll grab the link and send it. I'm on my phone right now. I do a lot of landscapes and architectural. A lot of my stuff isn't online because I did it under the wing of a pro.

I actually do a lot of textile arts. I spin my own yarn, usually starting with the raw fleece and processing it myself, and then either knit or weave with the results.

I'm also a big outdoors person, and am finally getting back into running and cycling. We've got these fantastic forest preserves all around the Chicagoland area with miles and miles of paved bike/running trails. Rumor has it there are also unpaved trails for running and hiking, but as klutzy as I am, running on unpaved/uneven trails is generally a poor idea.

I have some friends/family that do this with alpaca here in Colorado. Do you collect the raw fleece from a farm or something?

One of my other main hobbies is bladesmithing / blacksmithing. Being tied up with the house I haven't fired up the forge in almost a year and a half. I hope to be getting back to that as well, pounding on red hot steel is very therapeutic and it goes very well with cold beer. :D

This has always really appealed to me. I don't think I would ever get into it, but I sure do love watching the smiths at renaissance fairs and the like.

Flint knapping, braintan buckskin, friction fire, primitive bow making, hunt, fish, look for artifacts, mushroom hunting, gathering rock, eating stuff we find and kill or catch Mike

I have some friends/family that do this with alpaca here in Colorado. Do you collect the raw fleece from a farm or something?

Yup. Most places that raise sheep and alpacas will happily sell you the fleece.

Other than wine making I'm really into IT type stuff (solving computer related issues a both hardware and software), I enjoy coding in C (sometimes), hunting when I can, being a college kid, video games, music, and the outdoors. I wish I could get into more stuff, but I go to school and live in the dorms. It's hard to make wine in the dorms let alone do much if anything else.

Thanks, man :D dig a surf green Strat

Yes, the Epi is a Dot Studio... the name seems odd when there are no fretboard markers! It's an Epi "Custom Shop" model. Unlike a regular custom shop, they aren't actually made to order instruments, more like limited run. It has a cherry finish, quite different than the standard Gibson/Epi cherry and black chrome hardware. It's actually a factory 2nd that was refurbed by some guy in Nashville and resold with USED stamped into the headstock LOL Set up by a luthier buddy of mine, it is the best playing 335 style I have ever touched and sounds killer.

Both Strats are MiM and modded to one degree or another. The white one is a Richie Blackmore signature, added the black pearl guard, a 3rd Quarter Pound pup and 5 way switch. The Surf Green one is a Classic 50s, added pearl guard, 5way switch and Duncan Quarter Pound pups.

The Dean V has PRS HFS/Vbass pups and 5way rotor switching, the Z has an HFS in the bridge. The Epi V is heavily modded; Dimarzio X2N, Tone Pros bridge, locking Klusons, bone nut, custom made pearl guard.

The yellow PRS is my #1, it's a '91 Custom 24. The Purple ('94) and Bonni Pink ('08) Cu24s are both 10tops, the Bonni was built by the Private Stock team as part of a limited run. I swapped the tone pots in the '91 and '94 for Sweet Switches, the Bonni will get one too eventually. The McCarty has Dragon II pups in it.

I've owned several guitars... sold several of them. Currently own a Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst, a black Mexi-Teli, a Guild Bass - not sure what model, a Washburn EA-44... and....

A Gibson J-200. Bought the J-200 about 6 years ago. haven't picked up another guitar since. It's absolutely the very best guitar I've ever held in my hands, played with my fingers, and listened to with my ears. Used to love the Les Paul, but this guitar is special. Gibson KNOWS how to build a guitar.

Back