Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "beer snob" says Miller Lite > Newcastle??
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
mack25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mack25's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 116
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default "beer snob" says Miller Lite > Newcastle??

SWMBO sees a thread on a wedding planning site about beer options offered at a reception venue. The poster says they offer BMC as part of the package and can add Newcastle and Sam Adams for an additional fee. The poster claims to be a "beer snob" but would choose Miller Lite over Newcastle any day, so the additonal charge isn't worth it.

Hmm.

Now, I know Newcastle isn't the greatest beer in the world, but I happen to like it and would absolutely choose it over a BMC. And I surely wouldn't want BMC to be the only option at my wedding.

What do you think?

__________________
mack25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 3,169
Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Are you ordering beer for you or your wedding guests?

Hell, I spent $1,400 dollars on McMinnemin's beer for my wedding.........

BendBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

People like what they like, and it's not our job to judge them or try to convert them...

And it's your wedding, get what you want.

But as to what a "supposed beer snob" or whatever likes, it's HIS tastebuds, he's entitled to his choice of tipple in this society. Just like you are.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,881
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People like what they like, and it's not our job to judge them or try to convert them...
You're wrong and I'll do everything in my power to convert you!!!!

This is the INTERNET!!!

__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
JetSmooth is offline
weagle05 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MeatyPortion's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,327
Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

Maybe the beer snob has noticed that most people avoid the Newcastle and drink the Miller Lite, thereby making it a waste of money to spend the extra on a beer that no one will drink.

__________________
On Deck
hurr
Primary
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
MeatyPortion is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
mack25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mack25's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 116
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I just found it odd that someone who calls themself a "beer snob" would prefer Miller Lite. I'm not going to judge, but I would wager a guess that it's not typical.

__________________
mack25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 3,169
Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack25 View Post
I just found it odd that someone who calls themself a "beer snob" would prefer Miller Lite. I'm not going to judge, but I would wager a guess that it's not typical.
I see your point but it depends. Getting married in the summer outside? A beer snob might suggest an American Lager over a Brown Ale. He should anyway.
__________________
CarPort Brewery
JCMAC Farms Garden
BendBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
mpruett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 86
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
Maybe the beer snob has noticed that most people avoid the Newcastle and drink the Miller Lite, thereby making it a waste of money to spend the extra on a beer that no one will drink.
You would be surprised....

At my wedding 4 years ago, we got 4 kinds of beer and 4 kinds of wine, and something like 5 cases of each. We got married in the first week of December, so that will explain some of the seasonal choices. We specifically went for things that were good and easy drinking, especially in the wines category. We expected most of the guests would stick with the Shiner or Coors.

Beers:

Warsteiner Oktoberfest
Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold (Helles)
Shiner Bock
Coors Light

Wines:

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ Marlborough)
Santola Vinho Verde
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau (2007)
Some cheap-ass Australian Shiraz ($3 a bottle)


I expected to end up with a bunch of Oktoberfest and Helles, and a bunch of Sauvignon Blanc and the cheap Shiraz.

After it was all said and done, I ended up with 4.5 cases of Coors Light(out of 5!), 12 bottles of Oktoberfest, a full case of Beaujolais Nouveau, a case and a half of Vinho Verde, and 2 bottles of the Sauvignon Blanc.

On the other hand, it was one hell of a party!
__________________
mpruett is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
mack25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mack25's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 116
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpruett View Post
You would be surprised....

At my wedding 4 years ago, we got 4 kinds of beer and 4 kinds of wine, and something like 5 cases of each. We got married in the first week of December, so that will explain some of the seasonal choices. We specifically went for things that were good and easy drinking, especially in the wines category. We expected most of the guests would stick with the Shiner or Coors.

Beers:

Warsteiner Oktoberfest
Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold (Helles)
Shiner Bock
Coors Light

Wines:

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ Marlborough)
Santola Vinho Verde
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau (2007)
Some cheap-ass Australian Shiraz ($3 a bottle)


I expected to end up with a bunch of Oktoberfest and Helles, and a bunch of Sauvignon Blanc and the cheap Shiraz.

After it was all said and done, I ended up with 4.5 cases of Coors Light(out of 5!), 12 bottles of Oktoberfest, a full case of Beaujolais Nouveau, a case and a half of Vinho Verde, and 2 bottles of the Sauvignon Blanc.

On the other hand, it was one hell of a party!
This is what we're trying to work through now. How "unique" to make the selection so that it appeases the micro and BMC crowds. And so that it doesn't go to waste.

Did you have hard liquor too? or keep it to beer & wine?
__________________
mack25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,212
Liked 579 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Default

Might be that the "snob" was saying that Miller Lite is a better example of a Light American Lager than Newcastle is of a Nothern English Brown.

__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!
AnOldUR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scientist comfirm "Beer Goggles" are for real abracadabra General Chit Chat 7 08-16-2012 02:44 AM
F-I-L Asks If I Could Make Miller Lite jasonsbeer General Chit Chat 51 12-24-2010 11:32 PM
Am I a "Beer Snob"? sflcowboy78 General Chit Chat 31 10-22-2008 02:47 PM
"The Shield" viewers - have you seen "Sons of Anarchy?" Laurel General Chit Chat 2 09-10-2008 07:41 PM
Did HB make you a "Beer Snob" Ryanh1801 General Chit Chat 29 06-21-2007 04:32 AM