Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Beer Judging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
AleHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Judging

I have never looked into how homebrew competitions are judged but I assume its similiar to a BBQ comp where the judges sample many different types of beer throughout the day. If I am wrong correct me. It got me to thinking after trying 3 different beers in one sitting how the judges could actually make a sound judgement on a particuliar beer. I mean, If I sample a brew and then turn around and sample another different brew my palate is not ready for that. Then after a few beers everything tastes better and different anyways. Any judges out there that can explain how a fair judgement is made?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've worked several competitions as a Steward or Head Steward. We set the judges up with beers ranging from lightest to darkest, robust, or hoppier. It normally takes 15 to 20 minutes for each entry and rarely is the whole entry consumed between the 3 judges and Steward, There is also water and soda crackers to cleans the palette. Judges should never judge more than 12 entries per day although I've seen some do more.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not a beer judge but this site will tell you everything that you need to know about the certification and judging process:

http://www.bjcp.org/index.php

Cheers

Quick Reply