Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golddiggie said:
Look into 300 Blackout... Not much more recoil than a .223/5.56 NATO, but it's a 7.62mm projectile (7.62x35). Get a 1 in 8 twist barrel and you'll be doing well. You can also use your .223 brass to make the cases to use and reload your own. We've been doing that and figure out costs are under $0.30 per round (making our own cases). You can get projectiles ranging from 100 grain all the way up to 220 and 240 grain. You, basically, can use any .308 projectile. Stay at 150 grain (or lower) and you're supersonic. If you already have an AR15, then just build up a new upper for that with the 300 Blackout barrel and muzzle device (only difference between them). You can even use your existing BCG and charging handle. MAS Defense has barrels at a good rate (got mine from them) and ship out fast.

I had coworker try talking me into a blackout, I looked into it but the muzzle energy isn't very impressive. I would imagine it would make a spectacular CQB round like its designed for, but for other purposes I would think its abilities would be limited.

Airborneguy said:
I've been thinking about a .17 also, but I need to buy another hunting rifle first. I've hunting mostly with a .30-06 my whole life but I don't want to deal with the recoil anymore now that I've been shooting more frequently. I'm thinking about a .243 or a .270.

To your other post, boo glock :). Ok great guns, I shoot the hell out of them, I just like metal frames better.

I'm right there with you on a hunting rifle for my next purchase. However we have elk, beer, and if I'm lucky enough to ever draw the tag, moose so those deer rounds just aren't great overall rounds. I started hunting with a .308 rem 700 but I built it for precision work so it's a bit heavy to hump around. On the flip side I know it will go the distance if I have to shoot over a large draw. So, I'm trying to decide what to build into a good scout rifle, maybe a 7mm or if I can take the abuse, a .300 win mag.

I had coworker try talking me into a blackout, I looked into it but the muzzle energy isn't very impressive. I would imagine it would make a spectacular CQB round like its designed for, but for other purposes I would think its abilities would be limited.

147gr and 150gr projectiles (300 Blackout) are on par with up to 62gr .223 rounds as far as ft lbs of energy. Also, it's 7.62x35, so just 4mm shorter than AK47 rounds (7.62x39). Do you poo-poo AK47 rounds too? You can get the faster, but lighter, projectiles for 300 Blackout if you want. OR go with the larger, but slower, rounds and put a can on the gun and get something damned near silent.

There are people out there hunting with 300 Blackout rifles, taking down good size game.

Not everyone wants a Rem 700 rifle. IF I'm to get something in .308 Win, it will be an AR10 that I build up. Chances are, though, that unless you're hunting big game, at LONG distances, it's extreme overkill.

I'll probably make a pistol upper for the lower my 300 Blackout is using right now, in 5.56 NATO too. That way I can just use whichever upper I want. Great thing about 300 Blackout is I can use all the same magazines, BCG, etc... Simply a different barrel and muzzle device/brake on the barrel.

300 Blackout pistol (10.5" black stainless barrel) is complete...
300_Blackout_pistol_completed.jpg

Initial carry case for it...
300_Blackout_pistol_Guitar_case.jpg

Yes, that's a guitar case. I got it for pretty cheap ($40) and only had to modify it slightly. Basically, I removed styrofoam in a small section between where the guitar body would sit and a storage pocket under where the neck would rest. Removed the door for the storage pocket too. I just used some glue to secure some black fabric under the liner I had trimmed and glued the liner back over it (so that there was no styrofoam showing at all). The removed material helps hold the hand guard in position in the case. So it won't move around in transit.

With the JP Enterprise springs in the FCG, the pull is nice. I also did part of a 50 cent trigger job to take up a lot of the creep in the trigger.

The lower is one that I completed (from an 80% lower) and anodized at home. I wanted the two tone look, that I got. Once I machine the rest of the lowers (I have three forged and one billet 80% lowers left) I'll be able to build them up. I picked up some dye to use on those too.

desperado.jpg

500px-DesperadoMAc10case-2.jpg

Part of my collection:

image-62002948.jpg

Mossberg 500, S&W M&P15 MOE, S&W M&P .40, and Kahr PM9

A picture of my M&P15 in its current state minus the sling:

image-2314781097.jpg

I also have a .38 Special revolver and .22 rifle passed down to me by my grandmother but can't even remember what make and model they are.

I've been thinking about a .17 also, but I need to buy another hunting rifle first. I've hunting mostly with a .30-06 my whole life but I don't want to deal with the recoil anymore now that I've been shooting more frequently. I'm thinking about a .243 or a .270.

The .17hmr is my favorite caliber to shoot, so cheap and excellent performance for your dollar. I love .270 but .25-06 is a sweet, versatile round that has great performance and a subdued recoil to .30-06.

To your other post, boo glock :). Ok great guns, I shoot the hell out of them, I just like metal frames better.

I'm right there with you on a hunting rifle for my next purchase. However we have elk, beer, and if I'm lucky enough to ever draw the tag, moose so those deer rounds just aren't great overall rounds. I started hunting with a .308 rem 700 but I built it for precision work so it's a bit heavy to hump around. On the flip side I know it will go the distance if I have to shoot over a large draw. So, I'm trying to decide what to build into a good scout rifle, maybe a 7mm or if I can take the abuse, a .300 win mag.

If you get the .300 win mag with a decent wood stock, there is way less kick than you are expecting. My dad has one that he uses for bear and it kicks a heck of a lot less than my .270, which has a composite stock.

My 300 mag with a wood stock is a thumper. Everyone know's when I shoot. 300 mag has lots of kick, IMHO.

147gr and 150gr projectiles (300 Blackout) are on par with up to 62gr .223 rounds as far as ft lbs of energy. Also, it's 7.62x35, so just 4mm shorter than AK47 rounds (7.62x39). Do you poo-poo AK47 rounds too? You can get the faster, but lighter, projectiles for 300 Blackout if you want. OR go with the larger, but slower, rounds and put a can on the gun and get something damned near silent.

There are people out there hunting with 300 Blackout rifles, taking down good size game.

Not everyone wants a Rem 700 rifle. IF I'm to get something in .308 Win, it will be an AR10 that I build up. Chances are, though, that unless you're hunting big game, at LONG distances, it's extreme overkill.

I'll probably make a pistol upper for the lower my 300 Blackout is using right now, in 5.56 NATO too. That way I can just use whichever upper I want. Great thing about 300 Blackout is I can use all the same magazines, BCG, etc... Simply a different barrel and muzzle device/brake on the barrel.

I didn't poo poo it, I just have little use for it. If I needed a 30 cal CQB I would probably save the money and go with the 7.62x39. However, I see those rounds as, in the words of Alton Brown, a uni-tasker. I like the .223 because it is highly accurate and can do well for varmints at range, so for me it is what I chose to go with. Could I press the .30 cal "assault" cartridges into hunting, sure; but, I would rather use the right tool for the job. A .308 is considered a little under powered for elk with the 30-06 being about ideal.

Not very often I get to enjoy a cider but a friend introduced me to this one. It's tasty but, I can only put down 2 before I switch back to beer.

Also in the pic is my Sig P229 which is amazingly accurate, smooth as can be for a .40 cal and for the 15 years I've owned it, maintenance and trouble free.

Edit: see next page for the pic.

Just got this beast a week ago, Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, .44 mag. Can't wait for Deer season!
null_zpsb5327be4.jpg

I have a benelli supernova 12 gauge pump, marlin model 60 .22, browning x bolt 30-06, smith and Wesson 44 mag revolver, smith and Wesson m&p 9mm and just got a 1964 12 gauge browning auto 5.

I didn't poo poo it, I just have little use for it. If I needed a 30 cal CQB I would probably save the money and go with the 7.62x39. However, I see those rounds as, in the words of Alton Brown, a uni-tasker. I like the .223 because it is highly accurate and can do well for varmints at range, so for me it is what I chose to go with. Could I press the .30 cal "assault" cartridges into hunting, sure; but, I would rather use the right tool for the job. A .308 is considered a little under powered for elk with the 30-06 being about ideal.

In an AR platform a 6.5 Grendel is, in my opinion, nothing short of amazing. A friend of mine two grendels to my house this past summer to help thin out some pigs....I was impressed ...so impressed that I've been I'm now on the grendel bandwagon. I've been waiting in a long line for a Satern barrel. I already have everything else but the bcg from a 6.8 spc build that I abandoned a few years ago.

In an AR platform a 6.5 Grendel is, in my opinion, nothing short of amazing. A friend of mine two grendels to my house this past summer to help thin out some pigs....I was impressed ...so impressed that I've been I'm now on the grendel bandwagon. I've been waiting in a long line for a Satern barrel. I already have everything else but the bcg from a 6.8 spc build that I abandoned a few years ago.

Checking out the 6.8 SPC now... Round looks pretty good. Better than the 6.5... Just need to find out if it takes a completely different BCG, or just a different bolt in a standard (M16/AR15) pattern carrier group. I already have a couple of uppers waiting for barrels, BCG's and charging handles. So building one up in 6.8 wouldn't be an issue. I'd also look into getting the dies and mats to reload the ammo.

Do you get less rounds in a mag with 6.8 or is it the same as with 5.56?

Checking out the 6.8 SPC now... Round looks pretty good. Better than the 6.5... Just need to find out if it takes a completely different BCG, or just a different bolt in a standard (M16/AR15) pattern carrier group. I already have a couple of uppers waiting for barrels, BCG's and charging handles. So building one up in 6.8 wouldn't be an issue. I'd also look into getting the dies and mats to reload the ammo.

The same BCG can be used....but with a different bolt. I've only used mags made for 6.8 when shooting a 6.8 and dimensions are a bit different then 223 mags.

I picked up a mosin nagant on Friday. I shot it yesterday, and it is a blast. Loving it already. Everyone needs over of these!

ForumRunner_20131111_084722.jpg

ForumRunner_20131111_084659.jpg

A few of us went ahead and bought a full case (that's 100) of Gen2 PMag's (30 round, or standard capacity) this last weekend. I have most of them at home waiting for the others to come get them.

Case-o-PMags.jpg

I went in for 10 mags. We got them for the same cost that BCM had them on sale for, without any shipping costs (just my fuel to get up to Hooksett to get them).

68-61327.jpeg

Love my 6.8 :rockin:

NH is a special place! My girlfriend is from Hollis, first time I went to visit her family his dad brought out his gun collection...now i keep trying to get him to take me to the field. Im trying to get my mass permit and hopefully in the future get either a 1911 family pistol, or a beretta. Not gonna lie, mostly because i love the look of those guns.

NH is a special place! My girlfriend is from Hollis, first time I went to visit her family his dad brought out his gun collection...now i keep trying to get him to take me to the field. Im trying to get my mass permit and hopefully in the future get either a 1911 family pistol, or a beretta. Not gonna lie, mostly because i love the look of those guns.

NH is a GREAT place to live, if you value freedom. Even better if you can land a job in the state (no state income tax). Plus the people are just so much nicer (in general) than those in MA. Funny how stepping over a line drawn on a map can change people so much. Hell, even people that just work in NH seem so much better than those in MA.

As for someone showing you their collection... That's very common. You also don't need to fear the po-po up here, like you do in MA (if you're a gun owner). Also, no need for a state issued permission slip to simply own a firearm. You also don't need to read through pages of moronic laws to keep your firearms (storage of them, ammo, reloading components, etc.).

This is how I legally store one of my pistols...
night_stand_surprise.jpg

It's within this, right next to the bed:
night_stand1.jpg

It has a 15 round magazine inserted (.45 ACP) with a 14 round next to it.

BTW, in NH we also don't need to worry about magazines holding more than 10 rounds being 'pre-ban'... :D

...and that beer store in Nashua is REALLY good!

He's moved to Amherst St. just past NHCC... MUCH larger place, and a parking lot (no more parking meters to deal with, or too few spaces).

Looking at a decent weekend coming up. Gun show in Nashua the 23rd/24th, and brewing on the 24th. With any luck, I'll have my new BBQ/smoker at home before turkey day. Of course, it's made from decommissioned [sanke] beer kegs. :D

NH is a GREAT place to live, if you value freedom. Even better if you can land a job in the state (no state income tax). Plus the people are just so much nicer (in general) than those in MA. Funny how stepping over a line drawn on a map can change people so much. Hell, even people that just work in NH seem so much better than those in MA.

As for someone showing you their collection... That's very common. You also don't need to fear the po-po up here, like you do in MA (if you're a gun owner). Also, no need for a state issued permission slip to simply own a firearm. You also don't need to read through pages of moronic laws to keep your firearms (storage of them, ammo, reloading components, etc.).

This is how I legally store one of my pistols...

It's within this, right next to the bed:

It has a 15 round magazine inserted (.45 ACP) with a 14 round next to it.

BTW, in NH we also don't need to worry about magazines holding more than 10 rounds being 'pre-ban'... :D

What kind of pistol is that? I am looking for a good .45 and that one that you have sure looks good.

I gotta get around to taking pics of some of mine. '58 British Enfield,'47 22cal semi auto,long barrel & factory peep sites. Then my TC 50cal Hawken,45cal Kentucky long rifle....I wish I could've gotten the Carcanno pop brought back from the war as well,but oh well. He also converted a Japanese 7.7 with the straight bolt to a sport rifle,7.57 Remmington super express.

What kind of pistol is that? I am looking for a good .45 and that one that you have sure looks good.

It started off as a Para-Ordnance P14-45 pistol. I bought it in the early 90's with the aluminum alloy frame. Around 1997 I had the frame changed to a steel one from Entreprise Arms. I ran over 5k rounds through the alloy frame without issue. I just wanted the steel frame. I plan on building a carry pistol up with the original frame at some point (next year I hope).

You should be careful when looking at the Para-Ordnance pistols. There was a span of time when their QC wasn't up to snuff. I believe that the issues have been resolved, so any new production should be rock solid.

Entreprise Arms has their wide-body 1911 frames (and kits) available again it appears. I'd get one of those if you're in the market. I plan on reaching out to them when I have funds available to see what the pricing is like...

Got a new beretta a300 outlander. Took it out and put down its first pheasant this past weekend. Really like it so far. In terms of beer I just kegged a Pumpking clone and a Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

ammo crate score...

106mm_HEP-T_4_M40A1_side.jpg

106mm_HEP-T_4_M40A1_top.jpg

Each originally held two 106mm HEP-T rounds for the M40A1 rifle... Got a group buy going on another forum for more of them. :D

Crate dimensions are 8" tall, 12" deep and 45" long... Need to see how many [30 or 40 round] PMags will fit inside one.

56 more ammo crates delivered today. Part of a group buy from another forum.

Delivered_stacked_1.jpg

Delivered_stacked_2.jpg

Most of the crates, after 28 were taken for distribution
LR_stack.jpg

Seriously thinking about putting this on the side of several of them:
RAD_hazard_small.jpg

There is a guy near here that sells those old ammo crates for $5 a pop. Personally I like ammo cans better.

There is a guy near here that sells those old ammo crates for $5 a pop. Personally I like ammo cans better.

We're going to use them for all kinds of things. Some people are planning on making tables from them. I'm thinking of rigging them up for wall storage. Have them open with the lid coming down. Will make things easier that way. Of course, I do have some gas pistons, so I could have some open up, with the piston holding the lid open for me. Another idea I have is to use some for storage at the back of a workbench (or reloading bench). :D

We had them delivered to my place for a price we could live with. Not as available as out where you are. Actually, we pretty much wiped the guy out of them. When I checked ~2 weeks ago, they had 85 in the warehouse. On Wednesday, when I placed the order, they were down to 66. Today, they only have 6 left in their entire system (after we got ours).

BTW, I've seen the versions that you open up the end of too. these have a cover/lid on them, so easier to get into.

I have the IL CCW course coming up, I thought I'd get some nice new 45acp rounds for it. They want 27$ a box of 50 for reloads at Bass pro shops. AND their is a limit as to how much I can buy. WTF!! I have Whinchester Ranger SXT boxes of 50, I paid 13 bucks for, several years ago. I have to start looking for the boxes that my casting and reloading stuff are in. dam

Back