The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Battlestar Galactica....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Battlestar Galactica....

Okay, I'm no sci-fi nerd or anything, but I enjoy the Star Wars flicks and all that. Okay, with that out of the way...

...I just stumbled upon the revamped Battlestar Galactica mini-series and subsequent seasons. I'm about to start season 2 and I'm totally hooked. This is an AMAZING show.

I have 3 episodes from the second half of season 2 waiting on Tivo..I cannot wait to get to these....

Any fans? Let's discuss....

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
EternalKnight
Recipes 

I had watched the 9 hour mini-series that started the whole thing, but had never seen anything since then. Last night I got the 1st DVD of Season one and started watching. This show is pretty incredible. It makes you wonder what the hell the directors who make sh*ty shows like Stargate and Andromeda are thinking.

Anyways, I am totally hooked.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have been watching it since it came on the air a couple of seasons ago. I like it very much. I might suggest that you rent the original episode as that would give some additional background on how things have progressed. I may be able to answer questions from prior episodes.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
I have been watching it since it came on the air a couple of seasons ago. I like it very much. I might suggest that you rent the original episode as that would give some additional background on how things have progressed. I may be able to answer questions from prior episodes.
Are oyu talking the orignal 70s series? I've read that the 2 really aren't related. Same title, same names for some of the characters, same designs/names fo rsome of the aircraft, but not much else.

I just love how dark the series is. It is mind-blowing, to me.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The original series is really bad. They call this Season 2 but Season 1 opened in the summer of 04 I think, then returned in January 05. This part of Season 2 is a continuation from back in September or so when the Gallactica met up with Pegasus. There has been 26 shows of the new version on Sci Fi so far. You have some catching up to do.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
The original series is really bad. They call this Season 2 but Season 1 opened in the summer of 04 I think, then returned in January 05. This part of Season 2 is a continuation from back in September or so when the Gallactica met up with Pegasus. There has been 26 shows of the new version on Sci Fi so far. You have some catching up to do.

I have about 8 episodes to get on track according to my calculations. That'll be done before the end of the week.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The original series from the 1970's was far more impressive on the props, and costumes (least at the time). So, both the Xylons and humans were presented as avanced cultures. With the current series, the technology seems more like current or near future possibilities. In all fairness, I think original series and movies are better than any sequel. I like the original King Kong best. May seem amature by todays standards, but was leading edge technology at the time.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis77
The original series from the 1970's was far more impressive on the props, and costumes (least at the time). So, both the Xylons and humans were presented as avanced cultures. With the current series, the technology seems more like current or near future possibilities. In all fairness, I think original series and movies are better than any sequel. I like the original King Kong best. May seem amature by todays standards, but was leading edge technology at the time.
That is what I like about the new series. It isn't trying to be the original. It is a very different story, just based around a similar concept. In the original series it said the Cylons were created by an advanced culture, not by the humans, which it makes very clear in the very first episode.

I really don't think it is fair to compare them like that--they are apples and oranges as far as entertainment value. IMHO.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 AM   #9
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The new series definitely has a more complex plot. The original was simplistic. The new one requires watching several episodes in sequence to grasp where they are going.

Things like the old Flash Gordon were really something. Space ships, though the weapons of choice seemed to be spears and swords at close quarters. Hard to believe, but that was taken half seriously as entertainment.

Amazing the way so much of science fiction has evolved into science fact though. Makes me wonder if the writers were fantasy or seers of the future.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #10
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

See, I loved the original, but I can't stand the new one. The writing is awful.

Quick Reply