Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bar Tricks - Freeze A Beer In 2 Seconds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
BNVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bar Tricks - Freeze A Beer In 2 Seconds

http://www.videosift.com/video/Freeze-a-Beer-in-2-Seconds

A cool trick if you have some lousy beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone ever left a homebrew in the freezer long enough for it to freeze? Since this "instant freezing" trick supposedly relies on the beer being below freezing but without any nucleation sites to begin cystallizing, I wonder how an unfiltered beer like homebrew, with yeast at the bottom, would compare - I would think the sediment would provide enough nucleation sites for it to freeze while still in the freezer, as soon as it was cold enough.

Not something I really want to experiment with though, as I've always been pretty paranoid of freezing beer... Years ago, my mom forgot a couple bottles in the freezer and they exploded, filling half the freezer with a mountain of frozen foam laced with broken glass. Not fun to clean up.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 01-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yep. The things can blow, alright, as the water expands into ice and the CO2 comes out of solution. I remember when I was a kid and my Dad put a couple Coors Lights in the freezer to chill quickly. He forgot about them, and they blew. They were cans, thank goodness. He just had to laugh about it and said "well, I guess that's why they call it 'the silver bullet.'"

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger

Not something I really want to experiment with though, as I've always been pretty paranoid of freezing beer... Years ago, my mom forgot a couple bottles in the freezer and they exploded, filling half the freezer with a mountain of frozen foam laced with broken glass. Not fun to clean up.
sounds like my g/f

she'll sometimes toss beers in the freezer if we're playing games and usually those games lead to being farely tossed. so of course they'll get left in the freezer. we've had more than a few explode in there because of her the clean up definitely sucks.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I had a few HB's out in the garage last week, brought one in and it was clearly not frozen, as soon as a popped the top it turned to slush.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I've always been careful about this because my Mom used to do it almost WEEKLY with Diet Pepsi in the deep freezer.

I did, however, accidentally go to bed without removing a flip-top of Apfelwein from the freezer. Luckily, I had already popped the top, so any excess just leaked out between the gasket, and froze on the sides. No explosion, no sad flip-top.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply