Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bank Reviews Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bank Reviews Please!

Ok, I've been less than happy with Washington Mutual for the last few months but now I'm finally ready to take my money out and find another bank. Can you all help out and share your experiences with the banks listed below? I've got a few I'm interested in, but I really can't find very many reviews on their services.

Bank of America
Wells Fargo
Butte Community Bank
Umqua Bank
Tri Counties Bank

Any others you can suggest would be fantastic also.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No more WaMu? Chase is a decent enough bank.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

If you are the kind of person who always has problems with retailers and service provides (and of course those problems are never your fault) you will never like any bank for very long and should just stay put.

If you are a reasonable person, I like BoA, Wells Fargo and ING Direct.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I switched to a Credit Union based in GA not too long ago, the difference is awesome. The lines aren't ridiculous and you get to talk to people that don't treat you like a number. I would look into that if you're willing to part from the mega-banks...

Last edited by nealf; 05-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Bank of America, they seem ok. I liked how your debit card has your photo on them. I also use the "keep the change" service and its nice to watch the savings account grow with each transaction. No fees, tons of locations.

I have been through 5 banks in the past 8 years, the only one that never screwed me over was the local credit union. But we moved to far away from their location.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
No more WaMu? Chase is a decent enough bank.
Well, my main problem with them is their "availability of deposits". If you deposit checks into their ATM's, your balance is not "available" for use for up to 3 business days...in my experience I've waited up to 5 business days. Now, if you walk into the brank and deposit those checks, no problem...the money is avialable immediately. The problem lies with their system of sending ALL deposits to a central clearing house; they don't actually process any checks for 1-2 days. This is just not acceptable to me, and since we are both busy working during bank business hours we very rarely can go into the bank. About half of my monthly income arrives by personal check, and sometimes I just cannot wait 3-5 business days to use that money.

I'm looking for a bank that makes those deposits available no later than one business day.

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Well, my main problem with them is their "availability of deposits". If you deposit checks into their ATM's, your balance is not "available" for use for up to 3 business days...in my experience I've waited up to 5 business days. Now, if you walk into the brank and deposit those checks, no problem...the money is avialable immediately. The problem lies with their system of sending ALL deposits to a central clearing house; they don't actually process any checks for 1-2 days. This is just not acceptable to me, and since we are both busy working during bank business hours we very rarely can go into the bank. About half of my monthly income arrives by personal check, and sometimes I just cannot wait 3-5 business days to use that money.

I'm looking for a bank that makes those deposits available no later than one business day.

Yeah, that probably won't change with a bank change. The large banks all operate the same and at the same speed. If the second largest bank in the country can't process your checks within two days, then no other ones will be able to either. I think the problem lies more with financial institution that the check is drawn on, rather than WaMu/Chase.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I have been pretty happy with BoA's ATM deposits. I am honestly not sure how long it takes for the deposits to become available, but it has never been an issue. I like that they scan the checks and give you a copy on the receipt, I am not sure it this would be helpful if there was an issue, but it makes me feel better.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
Yeah, that probably won't change with a bank change. The large banks all operate the same and at the same speed. If the second largest bank in the country can't process your checks within two days, then no other ones will be able to either. I think the problem lies more with financial institution that the check is drawn on, rather than WaMu/Chase.
That's why I'm considering small, local banks. I'm assuming that they don't send their checks to some third party, although I may be wrong. I know that at least one of the banks does all of their deposit verification nightly, right here in town.

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need business type account rather than a personal one.
IME That's usually the only way you'll have same or next day availability of funds.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Quick Reply