Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bands you should like, but don't.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #101
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
Another one that I don't get, and definitely wouldn't consider it "one that I SHOULD love" is Taylor Swift. I don't get it. That girl cannot sing, and sounds absolutely horrible on every live performance I've heard on TV. (swmbo has CMT on every saturday morning) I'd rather hear my dogs howl at the moon.
No one...let me repeat, NO ONE, with the POSSIBLE exception of pre-pubescent girls, should like Taylor Swift!

Ok, on with my list:

Journey-LOVED their early stuff, but Steve Perry "gayed" them up
Bon Jovi
Rush-I keep hearing that I should love them, but I don't get it
REM
U2-love their early stuff, up until "Boy". That's about when Bono started taking himself WAY too seriously
VanHalen-I find it hard to take Dave seriously
Beatles
Tom Petty
Genesis-after Gabriel left

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #102
JebCkr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
Who is the "he" to are referring to??? Dave, Sammy, or Gary??? if is is either of the latter two, I will let it slide, but if you are referring to Diamond Dave...then I will say good day too you!!!
Sammy is who I was referring too, but Gary too. Some of the old stuff is OK, but the rest I just don't Care for.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #103
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2275 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
VanHalen-I find it hard to take Dave seriously
LOL! That's the whole point about Dave! You're not supposed to take him seriously!

And man I like Gary Cherone with Extreme, but his VH album was AWFUL!

For Christ's sake I wish Eddie would just record some sort of instrumental guitar album. F the singers.

I was going to add REM to my list since someone else mentioned them, but then I realized that there was actually no reason that SHOULD like them!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #104
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Ok, why not let me in on the secret awesome bands that I somehow failed to appreciate during my 20s?
I could make a long list of bands for you but that wasn't really my point. The idea that all music since 1990 sucks is like saying all breweries started since 1990 suck. Its just silly, and wrong.
If you are genuinely interested tell me what genre of music you listen to most and I will add to your listening pleasure. Unless of course its country or top 40, because almost all of that IS crap.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #105
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I doubt the object of this thread is to delve into hidden jems of music, but to highlight well-known and respected bands that somehow fail to impress us. The 90's bands I was referring to were the bands that everyone would have heard of. I.E. popular music.

For the life of me I just can't think of any that were worth noting. I realize there is a huge underground music industry with some very interesting bands, but frankly I don't care to poke around hunting for them. The "Industry" ought to be doing that for us. But they aren't, which is why I vote to shut them all down. The crap that is spewing out, for the most part, today is not worth listening to. Yeah, there are a couple of songs now and again that I think are catchy, but as a whole I just can't stand to tune into the modern music stations.

So which popular bands from the 90s on were worth adoring?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #106
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

So which popular bands from the 90s on were worth adoring?
Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

The Black Crowes

The White Stripes (very late 1990s)

Green Day (not my favorite, but they rock)

All, of course, submitted for your rejection. As a kid born in 1980, I feel like the rock in the 1990s was pretty good, though it was a marked turn away from guitar gods and arena rock in a lot of ways. Also, by the end of the decade, Napster and the internet were decentralizing rock music in particular- the best bands now don't get a lot of mainstream radio play, but I'd put groups like The Arcade Fire on the more recent list as well. The Industry may be abandoning rock, but don't blame the bands.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #107
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

The Black Crowes

The White Stripes (very late 1990s)

Green Day (not my favorite, but they rock)

All, of course, submitted for your rejection. As a kid born in 1980, I feel like the rock in the 1990s was pretty good, though it was a marked turn away from guitar gods and arena rock in a lot of ways. Also, by the end of the decade, Napster and the internet were decentralizing rock music in particular- the best bands now don't get a lot of mainstream radio play, but I'd put groups like The Arcade Fire on the more recent list as well. The Industry may be abandoning rock, but don't blame the bands.
I can agree with Pearl Jam for an album or two. And I like Green Day, except I am not fond of the turn they've taken recently.

The rest I like a song or two from, but none of them I would consider bands that I ought to like, mostly due to the fact that they didn't have enough success to show their work. White Stripes sound is actually pretty good to me, but I don't know enough about them to form the opinion that I *ought* to like them. Maybe if they had a few more hits?

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, JIMI... This is if I had to base my opinion on his popular tunes. He had a blues album of his that really showed his talent. But except for Little Wing, I'm not a fan. It could be that I think his vocals are very bad.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #108
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Oh, while I'm thinking of it, JIMI... This is if I had to base my opinion on his popular tunes. He had a blues album of his that really showed his talent. But except for Little Wing, I'm not a fan. It could be that I think his vocals are very bad.
You've gotta love Hendrix for the direction he took the guitar. No one else came close to what he did at that point. IMO, the most important electric guitar players ever were Les Paul and Hendrix.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #109
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Collective Soul

I am not saying they are terrible or anything, I just don't like their music and can't understand how they became so popular.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #110
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
You've gotta love Hendrix for the direction he took the guitar. No one else came close to what he did at that point. IMO, the most important electric guitar players ever were Les Paul and Hendrix.
Uh oh, are you going to change the topic to who was the best/most important guitar player ever? I am not going to touch that one being a guitar player myself.

Quick Reply