Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ban Smoking in Bars??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #41
Kikshaaz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Freetail and Blue Star are the only brewpubs. If nothing else, I highly recommend you stop by Freetail.

Ranger Creek is a new brewstillery that may be having tours when you're visiting. Cool guys.

Flying Saucer is the best craft beer bar.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #42
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I agree that's it's a great thing. I couldn't be happier that they banned them here a couple years ago. Not a smoker myself. But enjoy being able to go into a bar/restaurant and being able to enjoy myself. It's easy for people to say that smokers have a "right" to smoke. No, you don't have a right to possible inflict disease on other people. "But they don't have to be there if they don't like the smoke", not so much the employees if they're trying to support themselves and families.
Someone said in another thread that you have the right to swing your fist around as much as you like, but my right to not get punched is just as valid as your right to swing your fist. Smoking in a public place (such as a bar, which must meet other government regulations safetywise that my house is not subject to) is not a benign behavior toward non-smokers. I love our smoking ban here, but I also love that there are designated areas, usually nice ones, where those who smoke can do so. I go to bars more now, and I find them at least as crowded as they were before.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I agree. Bars around here are still just as busy as ever. Maybe for a few weeks people would avoid them, but then they realized, they like getting drunk and hanging out with friends more than smoking indoors.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #44
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Oregon used to allow bar owners to decide, but to protect the people too stupid to live, we now have a total ban. Too bad, it was a great way to eliminate dives with one sniff. Although I admit, I haven't been into a non-brewpub in years.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #45
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
...but my right to not get punched is just as valid as your right to swing your fist.
Actually your right to not get punched far outweighs anyone's right to swing their fists. Hence, criminal law.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #46
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's been banned in all public places (that includes coffee houses) here for a couple of years now and personally, I love it. Bars lost some revenue when it first went into effect, but that trend reversed within 2-3 months - maybe b/c non-smokers realized the law had gone into effect!

My wife & I went to South Carolina a couple of months ago and smoking is still allowed in bars there. We went to two bars and it was a kind of a surprise to see the air thick with smoke. We'd been so used to it being smoke-free here that we forgot what that was like! The first bar had an outdoor area and we made a beeline for it to get some fresh air. We weren't so lucky at the second bar and it made for a miserable experience. We had one beer and left. On the plus side, the one brewpub we went to was smoke-free.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #47
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Here in Maine it's illegal in all public places. They have been trying to pass a law (maybe it did pass, I don't pay attention) to make it illegal practically everywhere except your own house or a designated smoking area. It's also illegal to smoke inside your car with a child under the age of 18 in my city, even if it's your own child. They are trying to make Maine nothing more than a tourist state (jacked up the taxes that make it difficult to live here, the licence plate says "vacationland" on it, the whole anti-smoking everywhere law is to help save the air in the forests and parks for the tourists, blah blah blah...)

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #48
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just my $.02... I'm a smoker, at least at the moment and I don't mind the smoking ban in my state. Going outside for a smoke isn't that big of a deal for me and I like being able to come home and not reek like stale smoke. I always hated that.

Plus, when I've been trying to quit, it makes it a lot easier. In the past, I just had to stop going to bars when I quit. Now, the temptation is much less. If I want to bum a smoke, I have to get up and follow a friend outside rather than just grab their pack from the table and light up.

Quick Reply