Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ban Smoking in Bars??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 12:45 AM   #11
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1594 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 814

Yea it's a really dumb regulation. More and more government regulations make it seem like private enterprise is being defeated. Laissez-faire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All good comments and arguments both ways.

I am a former smoker. I've been smoke-free for 15 years. Going into bars and restaurants with smoke does not bother me one bit.

Business owners and smokers should join and make a "Members Only" Smoke Club where you'd have to list the by-laws that EVERY MEMBER HAS TO ABIDE TO - to get around the "law". It's comparable to where all the "boys" clubs and colleges had to integrate...how many guys to go girls colleges? I believe the answer is "none"! Why is that? The point here is if you take Gov't $$$ you have to integrate.

IF the Gov't really practiced what it preached all tobacco products would become illegal, but since tobacco is legal the Gov't wins in many ways:

Federal sales tax, State sales tax, taxes for: dry cleaning, carpet cleaning, new clothes, odor eliminators, etc., then there's the entire medical profession starting with cancer research and "cure".....there's money being made hand over fist on this scheme alone....you don't want to give up on that kind of profit potential.

Don't even get me started on the FDA or the Penal System...talk about making immoral decisions made by Gov't officials mandatory and ripping off the taxpayers!

This country was founded on hypocracy by hypoctites! Unfortunately, the bullsh*t never stopped flowing...if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you always got.

Later.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll drink to that...

Old 03-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
NUCC98

Recipes 

I'll end it......it's not right vs. left in this country...it's top vs. bottom......done.

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #15
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx

I'm a member of several other forums on topics like scuba diving or music and in those forums political posts are outright banned. As in, a mod would delete any political posts. I honestly think that should be a rule on this site as well.

OK. Agreed.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:29 AM   #16
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess I'm a little strange, because I smoke, but I cannot stand second-hand smoke! I quit smoking in my own home about 5 years ago....I only smoke outside. I do enjoy having a smoke in a bar or restaraunt, and beer and smokes just go together really well. But I do not like walking into a place that is just filled with smoke...it's nasty. Like those little smoking rooms they have in some airports. They have big "smoke eaters" in them, but they're still just awful, stinky places. When I'm travelling, I'll duck into one and have a few drags, then get on my way. I can't imagine how some folks just go sit in there and shoot the breeze for hours while waiting for their flight.

I'm really not for regulating what a private business can or cannot do, but it's not a big deal to me as long as they have a decent place outside where you can go and have a smoke. For me being able to smoke inside is quite a treat, but not if I (and everyone else) is just totally stinking up the joint. I guess that's as much a function of ventilation and size as anything else.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Here is one solution

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #18
HIM_Tattoos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll chime in, I am a smoker, and they banned smoking in bars here in July, I couldn't be happier actually. I bought an electric cigarette so I can still smoke inside if I want, otherwise it's a pain to go outside, but I enjoy not smelling like an ashtray at the end of the night.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #19
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6028 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Is this the first 5.5 year thread bump in the history of HBT?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 715 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 1787

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
Here in Austin they are trying to ban smoking in bars. They already did it in restaurants but I mean come on bars that should be up to the bar owner.
Get used to it, the antismoking nazis are on a roll. They passed a similar law here in MT a year or 2 ago. I don't even smoke, but I feel for the smokers standing outside to smoke when it's below zero. Biz has dropped off a bit for many bars/pubs since the smoking ban went into effect. Hell, you can't even smoke OUTSIDE on the sidewalk in Mesa, AZ anymore. It's always something. Regards, GF.

EDIT: Just saw the age of the original post... Never mind.

Quick Reply