The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ban Smoking in Bars??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Default Ban Smoking in Bars??

Here in Austin they are trying to ban smoking in bars. They already did it in restaurants but I mean come on bars that should be up to the bar owner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i don't smoke, but there is something about a bar.... there should be smoke in it!!!!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, i don't smoke either, but i would never complain about smoke at a bar. The bars there will lose a lot of business i bet if that happens. I think that in some countries, they have like a designated room for smokers to go smoke in that has a special filtration system in it.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In NYC, they've banned smoking in all public places (indoors). Bar owners fought the ordinance, but lost. They say it's for the health of the workers. I say if you fear for your health, don't work where there's smoke. It is definately way out of the government's role...it IS the right of the owners to decide...just another one of those "you're not smart enough, so we'll decide for you" oppresive goverment regulations. Fear what's next.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
In NYC, they've banned smoking in all public places (indoors). Bar owners fought the ordinance, but lost. They say it's for the health of the workers. I say if you fear for your health, don't work where there's smoke. It is definately way out of the government's role...it IS the right of the owners to decide...just another one of those "you're not smart enough, so we'll decide for you" oppresive goverment regulations. Fear what's next.

I grew up in toledo where there was one of the first bar smoking bans, now I live in columbus and they just passed a similar law here about 2 weeks ago, lookout cause its having the snowball effect. Anyways a couple of bars have started a "tips for first offense" jar that some regulars add to. First offense is only $150 fine, not sure what happens next. Other bars I've been to won't say its OK to smoke, but will never kick you out for doing it. Funny thing is the people voting for the smoking ban are NEVER at any of these bars in the first place.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
Here in Austin they are trying to ban smoking in bars. They already did it in restaurants but I mean come on bars that should be up to the bar owner.
Today's the first day of the No Smoking Ban in RI.....news is that a lot of local bar owners (somewhere slightly over 100 I think) are trying to fight it. I just don't see it happening. I used to smoke, but quit about 6 months ago. Still, I don't get all twisted if someone's smoking in a bar...some vices just go better together. What does bother me are places that put smoking sections RIGHT next to non-smoking ones....where's the point in that!@?!@

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I gotta say I *love* the smoke-free bar rule in California. We've had that law for 10 years or so and it's great. My hair and clothes don't stink if I got out for a beer. And bars didn't lose any business. I mean, heck, whatcha gonna do?

It did create a community on the street out front of every bar where the smokers have to go to have a smoke.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #8
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
I gotta say I *love* the smoke-free bar rule in California.

It did create a community on the street out front of every bar where the smokers have to go to have a smoke.
That's great if you live in a place like CA. where you can step out for a smoke pretty much any time of the year and not freeze your A*S off! Try stepping out for a smoke in Idaho in January, the only community you find is a bunch of people huddling together wishing they could be inside. Probably similar in NYC in the winter -- not exactly a balmy climate. I think a smoking ordinance is a nice idea, but there should be some allowances for proprieters who want to design adequately ventelated smoking areas -- surely the technology exists to create an smoking bar environment that is not any more adverse to your health than sitting on the freeway at rush hour! Just have enforcement officers with air quality monitoring devices randomly check a given bar, and if it is out of some reasonable range of air polution, slap them with a fine.
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 03-02-2005, 03:22 AM   #9
seven77
Recipes 

I just see it as big government telling everyone what to do and how to run their own business. A bar is a private establishment, and laws telling them what can or cannot go on inside is just a form of dictatorship. What's next, government telling people they can't smoke in their own homes? .... which by the way, is also a private establishment.

There's a wonderful little machine called a "smoke eater", and I've never been in a bar worth going to that doesn't have one. At the same time, I never stepped into one of these bars and was overwhelmed by smoked.

Bottom line is.. if you don't want to work around smoke, don't get a job at a bar. This isn't russia where you're assigned a role where you HAVE to work at a certain place.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its weird not having the smoke in the bars....... I quite almost 3 years ago but as mentioned if you don't want the second hand smoke then stay away....... if it was that good of an idea someone whould have opened a SMOKE FREE bar....... but if they did they prob would have gone out of business.......

Quick Reply