Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Balancing fitness with beer drinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Agtronic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Balancing fitness with beer drinking?

Hey guys & gals,

I've been wanting to ask about this for a while.

Long story : I was always in good shape as a kid, and most of my teen years, until I discovered beer at age 15-16 ... I managed to stay fit / thin during the next few years, despite drinking a lot of beer, until I turned 20. Seemingly overnight, I had a belly, and a 2nd chin. I stayed this way throughout my 20s until the about 26-27, when I started to pay attention, and stopped drinking altogether. The next 3 years (I am 30 now) I basically went on and off drinking beer and my weight and general fitness reflected this. I vowed to go into my 30s completely fit. I started to eat very well, (studied the subject at home) and managed to get into pretty good shape. Then, a few months ago I found this site and it re-ignited my passion for good beer. I started home brewing again and now I'm drinking beer every day, including at work (I own a welding shop). I gained 15 lbs in about 2 months, and have completely given up, and even stopped going to the gym.

I was wondering if anyone on here is into fitness, and is successfully balancing a love for beer / brewing with staying fit and lean. I DO NOT want to give up beer completely, and I really don't know if I want to limit myself to one beer every two weeks ... Do I really need to pick one?

Share your thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
scottthorn
Recipes 

I'm working on a device that will hold a pint glass so you can have one sip at the top of every sit up. Stay tuned for details.

nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Its a give and take sort of deal...I normally limit myself to two homebrews an evening and if I still want more of a buzz I switch to something easier on the wasteline....in my case I drink gin and tonics with diet tonic. Its a pain in the ass when all I want to drink is beer but its worth not having to hold my breath to tie my shoes

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
yeqmaster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ride my bike and drink beer everyday... Find some kind of fitness activity that becomes a hobby rather than a way of "burning" the beer off. I am in the best shape of my life simply because I started riding my bike around town to do errands, mountain biking every week, and going on road rides with friends as well. I use to try to go to the gym, but never kept up with it cause its simply... BORING! Once you can find some kind of exercise that is as fun to you as homebrewing is... you'll be set.

Im telling you BIKES AND BEER!!! a wonderful combo...

Nico Chiarito --- Brew or Die
--- (Oakland, CA) ---

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Agtronic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

HAhaha, I love biking, and I used to love going on long bike rides when I was buzzing ... sometimes that didn't end well, but I don't drink like I used to.

So, you drink beer every day and are not losing control of your weight, that's good to know! I do enjoy the gym, but it's hard for me to go when I'm in "beer is okay" mode. Weird ...

Thanks guys!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts

I do curls with a pint glass.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
UTbrewer
Recipes 

Agtronic, I am wondering the same things. Although still in my 20's I have seen my weight jump by about an avg. of 20 lbs in 2 years or so from regular beer drinking. I try to run and go to the gym but it is as Yeqmaster said BORING! I can't keep myself motivated for longer than a few weeks because I just don't enjoy it. I like the mountain biking idea though...now I just have to try not to spend money on brewing to get a decent mountain bike!! I like this thread though!

"And if you're drinkin well you know that you're my friend and I'll say, I think I'll have myself a beer." - Reel Big Fish

Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Exercise sucks and unfortunately it's the only way to stay fit and drink copious quantities of beer as well. I've been talking to the wife about getting a recumbent stationary bike to help us get in better shape, but I'm not convinced it will work. We both have a history of not being able to stick to a fitness program of any kind for any length of time.

I'd rather play badminton or shoot hoops, or anything exciting rather than any form of boring exercise. But I can't force myself to do it alone and there's nobody around to do it with. The bike might be the best solution yet, but I am not certain we will stick with it. Regular bikes are great, but I don't like road biking and there is no good off-road trails that I can use regularly. Just too much family stuff going on each week.

I only have 1-2 beers a night and so far my weight hasn't gotten past were it's been the past few years so hopefully my intake is not too bad.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
scottthorn
Recipes 

Not sure how much bike riding you can do during the long quebecois winter.
I lived up in the Chicoutimi-Jonquiere area 20-some years ago... Mon ventre est trop grand parceque j'aime la biere et la poutine - et je suis paresseux!

I have a recumbent stationary bike at home in a room with a nice sound system and TV/DVD player. I don't get bored on the bike when I'm watching a movie.

nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quit your job and become a super model. You can spend all your free time working out and the millions of dollars you will get paid for staying in shape will be your motivation. It is a no brainer!

Quick Reply