Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bad News from the Mechanic

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
daholl01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 92
Default Bad News from the Mechanic

A couple weeks ago the engine in my car (1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee) started making this hollow knocking sound, I brought it in to a Monro to have it checked out, and it was diagnosed with low end engine noise, which I understand to be not good. Rather than have them tear it down, I decided to bring it in to a Jeep dealer repair shop and they diagnosed it with a damaged connecting rod in one of the cylinders. They said they do not typically do any major work on older engines (mine is at around 98,000 mi.) and their only recommendation is to replace the entire engine (quoted at around $4,500 which is about what my car is worth).

I really do not know anything about engines, and I am guessing someone around here does. Is a problem like this really needed a entire engine replacement?

__________________
daholl01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Addison,TX
Posts: 2,717
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I would look around at junk yards and E-bay thats probably your best bet. Also I would have a local reputable shop do the work and not a dealership you will save a lot of money by doing that. Or if you have the tools do it your self, replacing an engine is not to bad of a job if you have the right tools. Good luck with it.

__________________
Ryanh1801 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
daholl01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I would look around at junk yards and E-bay thats probably your best bet. Also I would have a local reputable shop do the work and not a dealership you will save a lot of money by doing that. Or if you have the tools do it your self, replacing an engine is not to bad of a job if you have the right tools. Good luck with it.
Would a damaged connecting rod merit an entire engine replacement? Is there any way to just have that replaced?
__________________
daholl01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fingers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 4,212
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daholl01
A couple weeks ago the engine in my car (1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee) started making this hollow knocking sound, I brought it in to a Monro to have it checked out, and it was diagnosed with low end engine noise, which I understand to be not good. Rather than have them tear it down, I decided to bring it in to a Jeep dealer repair shop and they diagnosed it with a damaged connecting rod in one of the cylinders. They said they do not typically do any major work on older engines (mine is at around 98,000 mi.) and their only recommendation is to replace the entire engine (quoted at around $4,500 which is about what my car is worth).

I really do not know anything about engines, and I am guessing someone around here does. Is a problem like this really needed a entire engine replacement?
If it's already thrown the rod there could be extensive secondary damage caused by the rod clanking around. Sometimes they punch a hole right through your engine block (but you'd probably notice a spectacular failure like that) or bend the crank. In any case, the repair is extensive and if you can't do it yourself an engine replacement might be the cost effective way to go.

Here's an option. If your car is only worth the price of the engine, buy a puddle jumper and a set of full service manuals for your Jeep. Teach yourself to do the job. You'll learn something and in the end you can sell your little car and recover the money. The skills you learn and the confidence you build will more than pay for everything.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Fingers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,278
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Damaged connecting rod doesn't sound good. I'm not a pro car mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that needs an engine overhall or new engine. I worked on helicopters for 4 years and am pretty mechanically inclined, but that's more trouble than I would want to get into (unless forced to financially). That's sad... 98,000 miles. That's nothing on today's vehicles. Every time I hear about a massive failure on a car with relatively low miles, it's always an American car. This tells the story: http://www.theonion.com/content/news...w_2008_line_of

__________________
menschmaschine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fingers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 4,212
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daholl01
Would a damaged connecting rod merit an entire engine replacement? Is there any way to just have that replaced?
Usually the bearings need to be replaced and you will probably have to replace the piston and rings and hone the cylinder wall. If you do one, you might as well do the rest. If the crank races got scored, you'll have to send it out to get turned. It really needs to be fully pulled apart to assess the extent of the damage.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Fingers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #7
capcrnch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
capcrnch's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meeeechigan
Posts: 881
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Its times like these that im glad I can work on a car.
Its times like these that im not to happy I can work on a car.

The problem you're going to have is, you don't know how much damage was done. Like Fingers said, you can have a crank issue now, bearings, etc etc.. Not to mention that you don't know if that rod was knocking against the block and could have done some damage there.

Either way, best of luck!

__________________
capcrnch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Addison,TX
Posts: 2,717
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daholl01
Would a damaged connecting rod merit an entire engine replacement? Is there any way to just have that replaced?
No, and all it sounds like is a barring, but for the cost of a low mileage used motor it would cost about the same, maybe cheaper. See you can't just pull the motor a part and replace the barring, well you could but, thats not the right way. In the long run I think you would be better off with a low mileage used motor.
__________________
Ryanh1801 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brauhaus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Susquehanna Valley, PA
Posts: 1,563
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

you can buy jasper engine replacements for cheaper than normal engines (basically they are rebuilt motors)

i bad rod is never good for your engine, it can lead to scaring of the cylinder walls, holes in your block and severe internal damage...

Monro isn't the greatest place to go, and the dealer is going to rape you... try to find a local garage and a local mechanic who can give you another quote...

and one last thing, don't drive it more than you have to... the more you drive it, the increase in risk you run in damaging the internals.

__________________
brauhaus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
daholl01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Here's an option. If your car is only worth the price of the engine, buy a puddle jumper and a set of full service manuals for your Jeep. Teach yourself to do the job. You'll learn something and in the end you can sell your little car and recover the money. The skills you learn and the confidence you build will more than pay for everything.
You are saying buy a cheap car and put the engine into my Jeep?
__________________
daholl01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faux News - the official Tea Party news network Brewkowski Debate Forum 34 09-22-2009 04:25 PM
Good news and Bad news ;( pompeiisneaks General Beer Discussion 2 05-12-2009 03:39 PM
Bad News, Good News Wolf General Chit Chat 3 01-15-2007 02:13 PM