Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Back on the Train

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 1973

I'm writing this on the commuter train into the city, the first time I've taken it in over a month.

On the one hand, its pleasant - I can relax, browse HBT, read. And it's better ecologically and for metropolitan area planning and quality of life.

On the other hand, it takes me twice as long as driving. It's more expensive than the cost of gas.

Tonight, my wife will be driving downtown and meeting me at an art-movie theater to see something she wants that isn't at the megaplex - hence the train today.

So, what do you think? I've got two bad choices:

1. Selfish bastard - drive because its easier, even though it adds to urban congestion, pollutes, and increases our dependence on oil

or

2. Martyr - spend more time commuting and pay for it, but be a better civically minded citizen.

I know the best solution is to live near where you work, which isn't possible at the moment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't recommend being a "martyr," but don't under-estimate the value of being able to relax, read, take a nap, etc. Also, gas isn't the only cost for your car. The miles add wear and tear.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Keep in mind that driving downtown, you're also paying out the nose for parking. That alone evens out the cost of the train ticket for me.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3153 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 2666

I'd gladly pay extra to read on the way to/from work. I don't get enough reading time.

Quick Reply