Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > AWESOME aquarium hardcore question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 499 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

My wife was an aquarium addict for about 7 years. All Freshwater, the majority dedicated to African and South American Ciclids. She started with 2 30 gallon tanks and expanded to 5. At the height of her obsession she had 13 tanks from (1) 10gal to (5) 55gal. We are down to (1) 55gal African Ciclid tank and she just offered that to a neighbor.

SSBN 641 B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1544 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
My wife was an aquarium addict for about 7 years. All Freshwater, the majority dedicated to African and South American Ciclids. She started with 2 30 gallon tanks and expanded to 5. At the height of her obsession she had 13 tanks from (1) 10gal to (5) 55gal. We are down to (1) 55gal African Ciclid tank and she just offered that to a neighbor.
WOW. That is a little frightening!

I am in for very little $$$ so far.......

One 70 gallon tank - $25 on craigslist.
Filter - $29 +
$29(got a more powerful pump)
Plecos - $20 (1 big 1 smallish)
BIG crawdad - $10

Turtles, crawfish, tadpoles free from local creek.

Assorted goldfish and shrimp are ongoing food for the other animals so I don't count them.

All rocks, gravel, log etc, free from the creek.

So REALLY, I have very little invested, and nothing in the tank is irreplaceable.

The turtles have the highest priority. If anything threatened them seriously, it would be left for dead to be consumed by the turtles.

The Plecos are second followed by the BIG crawdad.

I am beginning to be attached to the 2 big goldfish that have outsmarted the turtles for so long and doubled in size, but they still do not rank officially.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3020 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 2559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
That's the other thing I don't miss. Living in constant fear that my tank was a ticking time bomb! Acrylic's are no guarantee against failure either.

I know someone that that came home to many gallons of stench on the floor because his protein skimmer decided to go haywire with foam production and overflowed the skimmate reservoir.
He's still not entirely sure why, but it wasn't mechanical. Some sort of event occurred that (possibly coral chemical warfare) caused his tank to go into a rapid crash. The water was dark green and almost everything was dead or dying.
Probably an anemone croaked. I've made that mistake too many times.

My skimmer is in a very large sump. No worry about it. But there are myriad other things that could cause catastrophe. Luckily I live worry-free due to my other hobby, beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #44
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1544 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Luckily I live worry-free due to my other hobby, beer.
Which you use to water the lawn with monster truck force!

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Which you use to water the lawn with monster truck force!
Well there is a very green spot in my backyard. Look closely and you can see the grubs and cinch bugs dancing in random merriment. Who said it went to waste?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #46
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ View Post
Holy crap that would suck. I have always worried about that happening in my house. Did homeowners insurance cover it?
Yeah, they covered it. The adjuster came two days after the incident, and then the day after that I got a phone call from his supervisor. Seems when they saw "Aquarium Leak" on the claim form, they were figuring small area of carpet damage, maybe some drywall, and when the estimate came back for $8k, they thought something was up. The supervisor and a senior adjuster came and looked at it again, and while they came up with a slightly lower number, they let the initial check ride. A big reason for the high dollar amount is with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, the entire upper level is uninterrupted hardwood, and they figured the entire surface would have to be sanded and refinished. Plus, the basement was one large empty space, with a finished ceiling -- in a type of sheetrock that they had never seen before (they actually took a chunk of it with them to show the guys back at the office. Pretty hideous stuff...sheetrock covered with a wood-grain contact paper type stuff)

Biggest lesson I learned through the ordeal.... when you're standing in your socks, in front of the tank, with water cascading out onto the floor, be very careful moving the light hood. Don't drop it in the tank. (Amazingly, nothing happened at this point). But also, don't reach THROUGH the waterfall, under the stand, and grab the power strip the whole works is plugged into. Yep. I rode the lightning. Hurt like a SONOFAB___.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #47
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
Yeah, they covered it. The adjuster came two days after the incident, and then the day after that I got a phone call from his supervisor. Seems when they saw "Aquarium Leak" on the claim form, they were figuring small area of carpet damage, maybe some drywall, and when the estimate came back for $8k, they thought something was up. The supervisor and a senior adjuster came and looked at it again, and while they came up with a slightly lower number, they let the initial check ride. A big reason for the high dollar amount is with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, the entire upper level is uninterrupted hardwood, and they figured the entire surface would have to be sanded and refinished. Plus, the basement was one large empty space, with a finished ceiling -- in a type of sheetrock that they had never seen before (they actually took a chunk of it with them to show the guys back at the office. Pretty hideous stuff...sheetrock covered with a wood-grain contact paper type stuff)

Biggest lesson I learned through the ordeal.... when you're standing in your socks, in front of the tank, with water cascading out onto the floor, be very careful moving the light hood. Don't drop it in the tank. (Amazingly, nothing happened at this point). But also, don't reach THROUGH the waterfall, under the stand, and grab the power strip the whole works is plugged into. Yep. I rode the lightning. Hurt like a SONOFAB___.
Wow thats insane. I always woundered if home owners would cover something like that though. Im glad it does. Mine is 125 g. It would pretty much sunami my whole house.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #48
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post

Scary. Did you replace the tank or are you done? A GFCI is a must have. Only problem is, they tend to trip a lot if your home is prone to dirty power i.e. surges/brown outs like mine. Not fun to come home to an aquarium full of floaters. Holy crap, how long has this thing been off?!!

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #49
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
Scary. Did you replace the tank or are you done? A GFCI is a must have. Only problem is, they tend to trip a lot if your home is prone to dirty power i.e. surges/brown outs like mine. Not fun to come home to an aquarium full of floaters. Holy crap, how long has this thing been off?!!
YES. Must have the entire tank on a GFCI. Mine trips for some reason every few months. Also, you should have a titanium rod in the tank (and sump if you have one) that is tied to earth ground. Usually this means it's screwed into a wallplate screw or plugged into the ground pin of an outlet.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #50
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Are you reef guys running metal halides, fluroescents, or a mix?

Quick Reply