Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Average Joe to Brewing Pro - My two years of brewing school.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #51
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy16
Hey does the beer get sold at the lcbo at all? I would be interested to try it.
Saw it at Bloor/Royal York LCBO last week. Two different kinds. Hands were full of spearhead IPA so I did not try it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #52
EricR
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I will share a small secret with you, the beer in the LCBO currently was not brewed by us. The demand for the beer outgrew our small breweries capabilities so we have had to brew it off-site while the new brewery is under construction (currently in the planning phase). If you make a trip out to the college you can try a whole variety of different beers all brewed by us students and available for sale in growlers.

Plus Je Bois
Mieux Je Chante!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #53
EricR
Recipes 

Today was our first day back after Niagara College's first ever reading week. The week was mostly uneventful, as I spent most of it studying for exams and writing papers. Tomorrow is our midterm in Sensory Evaluation, and I have just about done as much reading on the subject as I can. We also found out today that our Brewing Ingredients midterm will be next Monday, and now has an expanded scope to include some barley physiology which we went over today. There is lots of studying to be done for that test, as well as a few assignments for Communications to work on, so until I get through those updates will remain small.

Today in Brewing Ingredients we went over how to calculate mineral additions to your brewing water using Molar Mass. It has been many, many years since I have had to look at a periodic table and to say I was a bit rusty would be an understatement. Heck, I never understood it when I learned it the first time. Fortunately, it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be and we managed to avoid having to do specific calculations for the midterm - we only need to know the general steps. After Molar Mass we got to draw a diagram of a barley grain and then label it with the many components that make it up. Another thing to commit to memory. Oof.

On the plus side, due to scheduling conflicts we will no longer be having a second test in the course. Instead we will be given another assignment to do. I say on the plus side, but I'm not sure which I'd rather do.

I forgot to mention that we started the day with our math midterm, which went pretty well. I made one mistake that I know of, as for some reason my mind shut itself off and I blanked out on how to calculate the break even point in sales based analysis (set the price to 1$, if anyone was interested).

Anyhow, I will work on typing up some notes and drawing out a diagram or two to share with anyone who wants more specific information. Also, expect a post on Hop Calculations as it will be on my midterm and it is fairly interesting (arguably one of the most useful things we have learned so far).

Cheers,
Eric

Plus Je Bois
Mieux Je Chante!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #54
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR View Post
...as for some reason my mind shut itself off and I blanked out on how to calculate the break even point in sales based analysis (set the price to 1$, if anyone was interested)...
Are you sure about that? Doesn't seem right to me (but I only took Economics/Account at high school level). I would of thought you would set you profit to $0

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #55
EricR
Recipes 

profit = 0 but the price of the item being sold gets set to 1$. In a sales based analysis you are only given the sales figures, the variable costs and the fixed costs. The variable costs to sales are a fixed ratio and can be represented by VC/S. In order to find break even, you need to know the price of the item, but since it is not specified we are told to set the value of the item to 1$ and then proceed with the calculations. I very well could be wrong about this, but I think that's how we were supposed to do it.

Plus Je Bois
Mieux Je Chante!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #56
Lumpy16
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'll have to try to stop in at the store next time I'm in the area. Do you know what styles of beer they usually have for sale?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #57
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
profit = 0 but the price of the item being sold gets set to 1$. In a sales based analysis you are only given the sales figures, the variable costs and the fixed costs. The variable costs to sales are a fixed ratio and can be represented by VC/S. In order to find break even, you need to know the price of the item, but since it is not specified we are told to set the value of the item to 1$ and then proceed with the calculations. I very well could be wrong about this, but I think that's how we were supposed to do it.
I think I just clicked, this is for multiple products right?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
EricR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy16 View Post
I'll have to try to stop in at the store next time I'm in the area. Do you know what styles of beer they usually have for sale?
It is hard to tell, as we can brew whatever we want on certain days, providing there is fermentor space, and it all has to be sold in the store. I know the project for the second year students this semester is to brew a bitter, a stout and a hefe, so there is a good chance at least one variation of those will be on tap as well as our NC Ale, Lager, and Bitter. There is normally at least one other beer on there as well, but I couldn't predict it. If you tell me when you are planning on coming down I'll let you know whats on tap. You do of course get to sample the beer before committing to a purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I think I just clicked, this is for multiple products right?
This specific question was just for one product. I will try and dig up an example of the question so you can see what I mean. Check back tomorrow and I'll have that for you.

Plus Je Bois
Mieux Je Chante!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #59
Lumpy16
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow that's awesome, get to brew what you want and sell it. That's great. Sounds like I'll have to make the trip, maybe over Christmas break.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #60
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
This specific question was just for one product. I will try and dig up an example of the question so you can see what I mean. Check back tomorrow and I'll have that for you.
Thanks, good luck with you studies! Sounds like the University I wish I had gone to, damn engineering school! One day... one day...

Quick Reply