Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Attn: Construction Gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Attn: Construction Gurus

So, I'm about ready to put an offer in on this house. It's in a neighborhood we thought we'd never be able to afford, but now the times right. The only thing holding us back is that we would like to have more than 1 room to hang out in. My plan is to turn the sun room into a "family room." I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what kind of money its going to cost me. The sun room is 15' x 8'. I'd like to take it out to about 15' x 22'. I'm not very versed in construction and I have no idea what it might cost. Basically, we want to just extend it out, wall it up, and put a few windows in. I think I can do a lot of the grunt work myself. You may need some more specific details from me, but here's the link.

http://www.talktotucker.com/property...AgentCode=308a

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
bohdan987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

depends on the options and a job site, you looking 3000-8000$.
if you going to extend it to the yard, you will need to do a foundation and new roof for a addition!
if your roof is old i would recomend re-doing it main roof on the house when new roof instaled on the new room.
your chepest bet is to keep the way it is just frame walls for a windows and doors.
ones you start re-doing roof and foundation than when its will get expensive!

T.O.P
Brewery

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I want to extend it out into the yard about 12'-14'. I know I'll have to pour more concrete. I was hoping that since the roof to the sunroom is already started we could just tie into it. I wanted to make it bigger so I didn't really want to just wall it in. It's already 15' wide, I just want to extend it out away from the house. I figure we pour more concrete, tie into the existing roof of the sunroom and wall it up. Add a few windows. I don't know about the existing roof. Haven't had an expection yet.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
bohdan987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well if you want to tie to a old roof you will need some kind of suport NEW AND OLD roof eather a header with colums or a wall. wich way you want to add new roof, to a GABLE( THATS A FRONT OF "TRIANGLE") or RAKE( thats a SLOPED SIDE)? its hard to see on that pic!

T.O.P
Brewery

Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You'll have to figure me bohdan, because I'm not sure what you're talking about. Partly because I'm clueless about construction and partly because I've got Apfelwein on tap. What I want to do is extend the roof of the sunroom out towards that tree you can see. Perpendicular to the house. I know the picture sucks but I want to come out perpendicular from the house. To me, it looks like the sunroom is an "addition" already. Somebody built that sunroom onto the existing house. It's 15' wide by 8' out, perpendicular, to the house. All I want to do is, cut that tree down. Extend the "roof" of the sunroom so that it is still 15' wide, but make it about 14' farther out. Toward the tree aka into the backyard. The 15' dimension will stay the same. I want to make the room "longer" and wall it up. Not so its an extension of a sunroom but so that its more like an additional room. ???? Prost.

Reason: Can't spell

Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

It can certainly be done, but it won't be cheap. The existing roof is a gable-end, so that's good, but you can't just "extend" it - because the rafters sit on something - (essentially a 'top plate') and that can't just be butt-joined to the existing top plate. It won't be strong, a good wind would knock it down. You need overlap, and with that short a distance, I'd reuse the the lumber, but I'd start over with that gable off the main roof once I had the walls handled. And you'll need a good concrete man - you want your floors to match in height - look seamless. (it can't be "seamless", you'll have to do tile or something, but they have to be exactly the same height). You need an expert. Someone in your area who does additions. Tell them you're good to provide manual labor and want a discount for that, but the engineering of the thing needs more than a sack of concrete and some studs. - the good thing is you can usually get free estimates...

Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know it won't be cheap, but "cheap" is a pretty relative term. I was hoping that the existing roof and partial walls, plus half the floor already there, would save me quite a bit of money. I was just looking for someone knowledgable about prices to give me a ballpark.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I is really hard to give even a "ballpark" estimate on your proposal because there are so many things unknown. I would ask these questions:

Is the existing sunroom on a foundation or a slab?

What is the structure under the gable end of the roof - is it a load bearing truss that would allow you to remove the support posts- or will you need install a load bearing structure there?

Will you be getting a permit for this? This can really add to the cost.

I think this is why bondan987 gave you a range of $3,000 - $8,000. One thing is for certain - it will cost you more than you think in the beginning.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right, I figured that much. I will take some pictures tomorrow. Post them, and see if that helps. I really don't know. I put an offer in tonight, anyway. Still, we want to do the room one way or the other. Just don't know if I can afford it right away or not. I know the house is on a foundation. Don't know about the sunroom.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
bohdan987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

constraction crew will need to tie in to the top plate at least 6 feet overlap. original roof needs to get striped 8 feet back and rafters removed. if you have a 1 layer on that roof its a good thing if there is a 2 layers all roof on that screen porch will need to be striped.
Hang glider is right you JUST CAN'T ADD TO THE GABLE strong overlap is needed. if you have a good crew its not a big deal because if they get a exactly same hight on the walls as a original walls, than one of the rafters will be a template for a new roof.
i would leave that gable end wall in place untill framed and tied walls and foof rafters are in and naled, than i would take it out! this way you not going to need waste time on a temperary syports or a wall.
agree, concrete crew need to know what the hell they are doing because you want a "seamless" floor. if they screw up it be almoust inposible to have a "seamless" floor there.
one time i was doing some thing like this for my side job and concrete crew screwed up foundation 4 inches off square and 2 inches on the hight. let me tell you it was a most pain in my @$$ job that i ever did. it coused alot of problems, rafters had to get cut one by one because all had to be different, walls were off square it was a HELL but we had it done!

T.O.P
Brewery

Quick Reply