Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Asus Eee PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Klainmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm, i've been running Ubuntu for about a year now and run my HP printer, ipod and all my other gadgets on it without issues. Also, you can run Windows programs through Wine, it's an emulator.

If you understand the package managers and what stuff can do, it's no biggie.

Just my .02

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well, like i said, the home computer we use just for email, surfing and sometimes word, but for the majority of it's use it's very simple at that.

I have a laptop for work and it's not only my computer for work, but my wife and I have pictures stored on here, music (a very small collection at that) and we don't really use the "home computer" for anything exciting.

We don't watch DVDs on it, we don't have music stored on it (we had an ipod but sold it b/c we never used it), we don't have family photos on it (all stored on an external HD and on my work laptop), the only thing we use the home computer for is:

• email
  • surfing the web
  • very light word processing

from my understanding this little PC will be able to do all of that, plus it's added mobility will be of greater use when we travel.

plus, with this little guy, i'll be able to create documents and some other small things while on-site without having to lug around my work laptop, and with the many of memory sticks I have, storage is not really an issue.

we use my work laptop as our computer for everything, this little guy will replace the boat anchor home computer we have, but won't really be our home computer... if that makes sense.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
...It's also why the iPod Nano that I won is still sitting in its box. None of these things work with my chosen version of Linux... unless of course I want to spend 3+ hours trying to figure out if maybe there's a way to make them work...
Which Nano, last gen or current?

To the OP:
I think you'll be disappointed by the Eee PC if you actually intend to use it as a primary computer. Of course I'm a Mac user, so I'm supposed to be condescending about all other computers .

Matt
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
Which Nano, last gen or current?

To the OP:
I think you'll be disappointed by the Eee PC if you actually intend to use it as a primary computer. Of course I'm a Mac user, so I'm supposed to be condescending about all other computers .

Matt
well, that's what i've been trying to say all along... this is going to be used to just surf the web and mostly for me to take on the road for inspections and such.

i'm not buying this thing hoping to replace my work laptop and become our daily everyday users computer.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
well, that's what i've been trying to say all along... this is going to be used to just surf the web and mostly for me to take on the road for inspections and such.

i'm not buying this thing hoping to replace my work laptop and become our daily everyday users computer.

It will do those things, and quite a bit more, dare I say, better than XP ever did. Just make sure you're cool with the small screen size.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus

After reading some of the reviews on Amazon and Best Buy I think I want one now

It does look like it might be a pretty sweet little machine for traveling.

You might want to wait until a Merom powered model (rumored) is released. I'm not a big Celeron fan.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 619 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 56

With solid state storage, this thing ought to be wicked fast, too! Don't let the relatively slow processor speed deter you. As long as you're not asking it to do anything terribly complex, it'll be a great little portable machine. E-mail, web access, and simple word processing type tasks will be no problem at all.

Now I want one. Why do you guys have to keep giving me expensive ideas?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My issue with the Celeron is power use. That's a hotter and more battery hungry processor than the dual cores.

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 01-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The computer you linked is super-slow and is overpriced for what it is (except for the size bit). Even if you need something that small, I'd look for something different. I sold a 12" laptop twice as fast as that for under $200, and it had the USB and SD slots you want.

So, I'd look for something used and format it when you get it. I don't know what you're planning on running on it or what you plan on doing with it, but at a bare minimum I'd look for something with at least 512mb RAM (which isn't much but you might not need a full gig and 256mb is just not enough) and a 1.6GHz processor (you can get by with less, I am sure, but anything slower is painfully slow at times, especially with low amounts of RAM, and anything slower isn't going to be that much cheaper really). How much hard drive space you need is totally dependent on what you're doing, but at a bare minimum you'll want 20-30 gig.

If small size and battery life are your thing, by all means go with something like what you linked... just keep in mind that that particular one is pretty puny, and I'd hate for you to waste money on a computer that can't do what you need it to.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 619 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
My issue with the Celeron is power use. That's a hotter and more battery hungry processor than the dual cores.
Without spinning a hard drive, CD/DVD drive, or anything more complex than a fan or two, processor drain on battery life is probably not a huge concern.

Quick Reply