Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Asus Eee PC
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brauhaus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Susquehanna Valley, PA
Posts: 1,563
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Asus Eee PC

Anyone have any experience with this computer?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f?ie=UTF8&s=pc

I was thinking about picking one up to replace our home computer... now before anyone answers here is my "home computer", it's a SONY VIAO laptop with 30GB of memory and 512mb processor blah blah blah computer jargon and was bought brand new in 2002...

Since I've had it, i've reformatted the computer already and it's really showing it's age... I used to run a TON of programs off it, but after reformatting I lost most of them and decided not to re-install the majority of them b/c 1. I've fallen out of love with certain programs and 2. I lost the CDs to a few

Bascially the SONY gets used to surf the web and we take it on the road to check email and do small things with it, we hardly really use it b/c it's just out dated and sometimes is more trouble than it is worth...

I'm digging the Asus EEE PC b/c of the size and weight, it'll make traveling easy to tote this thing around rather than the SONY, I like the fact that it's basically for email, word processing and other small apps.

For work and basically as my daily computer I have a TOSHIBA SATELLITE that is fast, has all the programs I need and is a great all around platform, but it's a tad bulky and battery life is something that I wish this computer could utilize (dispite the power saving options it only lasts around 2 hours at the max, but the power save mode really makes performance suck and it's harder to do the simplest of tasks when in power save)....

Anyway, with USB ports and an SD card slot, i'm really digging this.

Anyone here have any experience with it?

__________________
Yes, I'm the guy who set his sniper suit on fire last halloween...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com
brauhaus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
zbeeblebrox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: fairfield, CA
Posts: 121
Default

i don't have any hands on experience with it but i looked into it quite a lot. the only problems that i have with it are the small screen size. 7 inches. and the lack of hard drive space. it would be best to get an external usb hard drive the laptop sized ones. or a least get a large SDHC card for storage.
there is also something up with the memory expansion slot. apparently sometimes the slot doesn't exist, sometimes it does, and sometimes its replaced with more hard drive space.
other then that i love the thing. and if your not planing on playing games or anything that would require a lot of processing power then it would be very useful little device.

__________________
"It just told me what I already knew, that I'm a great and amazing guy, didn't I tell you baby, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox."
in primary: empty
bottled: Redhook ESB clone
LETS GO RED WINGS
zbeeblebrox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,043
Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I recommend every person own a computer with Windows because if you are any kind of a professional anything, then at some point you will need to use windows... especially when you go looking for hardware support.

However, for a websurfing and emailing and word processing station, I highly recommend everybody jump on board with Linux. Get yourself an HP printer (which will be compatible straight out of the box) and go to town. Enjoy Linux's free software that's easy to download. Enjoy a virus-free experience without having to pay up for regular anti-virus upgrades. Enjoy a less-cluttered, leaner, OS.

For a free, simple, cheap computer that doesn't have to do anything in particular in any particular way, Linux is a viable solution at a perfect price (free). But still keep a windows machine laying around because sometimes it'll come in handy.

__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA
Sir Humpsalot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brauhaus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Susquehanna Valley, PA
Posts: 1,563
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

thanks guys... i'm hoping to pick one up to carry around while doing fire inspections.. it'll make for quick turn around on filing reports and i'm sure as hell not going to carry around my monster Toshiba around...

__________________
Yes, I'm the guy who set his sniper suit on fire last halloween...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com
brauhaus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kevin Dean's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,377
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHumpsalot
I recommend every person own a computer with Windows because if you are any kind of a professional anything, then at some point you will need to use windows... especially when you go looking for hardware support.
GNU/Linux rant!

I realize I'm in a "niche" position here, but I am a professional Free Software systems administrator and Windows is about as far from being Software Libre as it gets.

I stopped using Windows as a home computer over 5 years ago and I don't regret it at all. There's not a single thing GNU/Linux can't do UNLESS that thing is designed from the ground up to be restrictive.

You also say that Linux "lacks hardware support" but I'm not entirely sure you've used a default version of Windows. It comes with an IDE driver and a human interface driver - you want audio you need to install it yourself. You want 3D you have to install it yourself. Want to do something other than play solitaire, install it yourself.

If you use the right tool for the right job, you can use whatever operating system you want. Mac's, for instance, have "horrible" hardware support compared to Windows or GNU/Linux but few people who own Macs "trick them out" so to speak. If you own modems designed to run ONLY on Windows then you'll have a bad experience on anything but Windows - and I can't blame the operating system there.

Keeping the "right tool" thing in mind, the Asus Eee PC is designed from the ground up to work with GNU/Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
However, for a websurfing and emailing and word processing station, I highly recommend everybody jump on board with Linux. Get yourself an HP printer (which will be compatible straight out of the box) and go to town. Enjoy Linux's free software that's easy to download. Enjoy a virus-free experience without having to pay up for regular anti-virus upgrades. Enjoy a less-cluttered, leaner, OS.
You forgot something... The community. Only Windows fails to build a community - everyone else in the world actualyl ENJOYS using their computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
For a free, simple, cheap computer that doesn't have to do anything in particular in any particular way, Linux is a viable solution at a perfect price (free).
It sounds as if you imply that not doing something a "particular way" is a drawback and not one of it's core strengths. GNU/Linux is software libre - software designed and developed with a user's rights and freedoms in mind. The goal is to give power to the user so they DON'T have to do things "Company X's" way. So users DON'T have to re-learn an office suite when some company decided not to sell the one they're used to. It's designed to ensure that user's music will still play in 10 years on the devices you own, or that they'll be able to burn it to a CD (legally!) to listen in the car. Designed so that you CAN use a different program if the one you've got by default doesn't work the way YOU think it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
But still keep a windows machine laying around because sometimes it'll come in handy.
God kills kittens when you recommend Windows. Seriously though, that depends ENTIRELY on the user. I've met people who simply can't use anything but Windows because of their usages and I've met people who have no regrets at ALL of using GNU/Linux only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
I was thinking about picking one up to replace our home computer
You mention this being a "home computer" replacement and then mention it being an on-the-job system. As a bona-fide computer enthusiast I have to ask what you hope to gain. For mobility, that would be fine since it's small and light. The small disk space doesn't matter since you'll be productive ratehr than possessive - I'm assuming you'll be writing and sending documents ratehr than writing an storing. For a "home computer" which also stores (music, movies, documents, pictures, games) you can buy a hell of a lot more computer for the same money. You really have to evaluate why something would be good for your case.

Hope you are happy, whatever route you take.
__________________
Free State Project liaison to the homebrew hobby!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network
Kevin Dean is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 3,544
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

nice plug for free software.

I have ubuntu 7.10 on my desktop and 6.06 on my old sony viao laptop that I'm typing from now. HAvent used windows since prior to 01'. Love it. I've not come across a thing I can't do with it yet, but I'm not in a corporate environment, rather an academic one where they tend to encourace free thinking.

__________________
Beer Style Guidelines - Kaiser's Brewing Experiments - American Society of Brewing Chemists - Journal of the Institute of Brewing
z987k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
Anyone have any experience with this computer?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f?ie=UTF8&s=pc

I was thinking about picking one up to replace our home computer... now before anyone answers here is my "home computer", it's a SONY VIAO laptop with 30GB of memory and 512mb processor blah blah blah computer jargon and was bought brand new in 2002...

Since I've had it, i've reformatted the computer already and it's really showing it's age... I used to run a TON of programs off it, but after reformatting I lost most of them and decided not to re-install the majority of them b/c 1. I've fallen out of love with certain programs and 2. I lost the CDs to a few

Bascially the SONY gets used to surf the web and we take it on the road to check email and do small things with it, we hardly really use it b/c it's just out dated and sometimes is more trouble than it is worth...

I'm digging the Asus EEE PC b/c of the size and weight, it'll make traveling easy to tote this thing around rather than the SONY, I like the fact that it's basically for email, word processing and other small apps.

For work and basically as my daily computer I have a TOSHIBA SATELLITE that is fast, has all the programs I need and is a great all around platform, but it's a tad bulky and battery life is something that I wish this computer could utilize (dispite the power saving options it only lasts around 2 hours at the max, but the power save mode really makes performance suck and it's harder to do the simplest of tasks when in power save)....

Anyway, with USB ports and an SD card slot, i'm really digging this.

Anyone here have any experience with it?
That thing runs Linux. You do realize that no Microsoft apps will run on it, right? Not trying to be insulting, but I'd highly recommend doing your homework regarding software before plunking down the cash on one of those.
__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,043
Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I'm all for using free software. I'm using Gutsy Gibbon as we speak. It's my only OS and I'm happy enough. However....

The fact that Gutsy Gibbon (Kubuntu) is my only OS is the reason why my digital 4 track is collecting dust. There just isn't enough demand for them to bother making Linux drivers for it.

It's also why my parents' $400 Canon all-in-one printer isn't being used. No driver support.

It's also why the iPod Nano that I won is still sitting in its box. None of these things work with my chosen version of Linux... unless of course I want to spend 3+ hours trying to figure out if maybe there's a way to make them work.

Oh well, I have a cheap RCA-brand mp3 player and it's fine for as little as I use it. And I have an HP scanner that works alright as long as you aren't trying to print anything like pictures. And I don't really play music anymore.

Other than that though, Linux is awesome!


(to be honest, I really actually need to build a windows machine for the rest of the stuff that I miss doing...)

__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

Sir Humpsalot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,043
Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
That thing runs Linux. You do realize that no Microsoft apps will run on it, right? Not trying to be insulting, but I'd highly recommend doing your homework regarding software before plunking down the cash on one of those.
That's misleading. First off, most basic windows applications WILL run under Linux by using a program called "Wine" which emulates a windows environment. It works just like any other program. In fact, that's what I use to run beer smith. It will not run Windows programs, but all of the popular programs have a nearly-comparable (and free) equivalent in Linux. It also won't run Adobe programs. There is however a PDF viewer that is far superior to the Windows version and you can create PDF's with the Open Office equivalent to Word. Photoshop won't work, but the free version known as "Gimp" has 85% of what a serious amateur photographer or graphic artist would want.

It's true that Microsoft application won't work under Linux, however, for example, Open Office has the same types of software that Microsoft has and they are compatible. I have run powerpoint presentations off of Linux machines by using the free open office equivalent. I also create word processing documents and convert them into Windows Word format before emailing them off to MS Office users. Or, I can convert them to PDF's with the click of a button.

In short, whatever basic things you want to do with windows, you can do with linux. MS Office costs a few hundred bucks for the full version. Open Office is free. And they are compatible with each other. Just don't expect all the hardware to be compatible. That's really the big issue here. And also, do expect a little bit of a learning curve. Other than that, Linux is great.

(Again though, I still wish I had a Windows OS so I could do a few things with some neat hardware that I have... But if you have no cool hardware, no cool keyboard, mouse, printer, or whatever, then there is no reason whatsoever to load the bloatware known as Windows)
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

Sir Humpsalot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
That's misleading. First off, most basic windows applications WILL run under Linux by using a program called "Wine" which emulates a windows environment. It works just like any other program. In fact, that's what I use to run beer smith. It will not run Windows programs, but all of the popular programs have a nearly-comparable (and free) equivalent in Linux. It also won't run Adobe programs. There is however a PDF viewer that is far superior to the Windows version and you can create PDF's with the Open Office equivalent to Word. Photoshop won't work, but the free version known as "Gimp" has 85% of what a serious amateur photographer or graphic artist would want.

It's true that Microsoft application won't work under Linux, however, for example, Open Office has the same types of software that Microsoft has and they are compatible. I have run powerpoint presentations off of Linux machines by using the free open office equivalent. I also create word processing documents and convert them into Windows Word format before emailing them off to MS Office users. Or, I can convert them to PDF's with the click of a button.

In short, whatever basic things you want to do with windows, you can do with linux. MS Office costs a few hundred bucks for the full version. Open Office is free. And they are compatible with each other. Just don't expect all the hardware to be compatible. That's really the big issue here. And also, do expect a little bit of a learning curve. Other than that, Linux is great.

(Again though, I still wish I had a Windows OS so I could do a few things with some neat hardware that I have... But if you have no cool hardware, no cool keyboard, mouse, printer, or whatever, then there is no reason whatsoever to load the bloatware known as Windows)
I'm aware of all of that. From what I gather about Braehaus' post is that he's looking for a direct replacement for his home laptop, which he can also tuck under his arm and carry off to work. While you can make it work with Linux, it takes a bit of doing, does it not? The point I'm trying to get across is that unless he already has a working knowledge of Linux and is aware of the differences between it and MS operating systems, then the thing probably isn't going to work as he envisions it. But perhaps he is aware of these differences, and I'm just pissing in the wind.
__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus or Acer? html034 General Chit Chat 13 06-26-2009 01:47 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS