The ASCII Degree symbol is ALT 167!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read a few posts where people tried to recreate the degree symbol using a zero or a lower case "o"

A slick way to produce the degree symbol is using the ASCII codes.

ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Computers can only understand numbers, so an ASCII code is the numerical representation of a character such as 'a' or '@' or an action of some sort.

To get the degree symbol just hold down your ALT key and type 167 and release ALT key.

212º, 100º, 68º and so on. Just wanted to pass this on...

It's a shame no one posted a unicode cheat sheet up here...
;-)

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to search for ASCII/Unicode shortcuts in Linux. I just learned something!

Under Ubuntu, you hit Ctrl+Shift+u, then type the Unicode for the character you want and hit Enter. Here's a link to a PDF with commonly used characters.

°=b0
ä=e4
ö=f6
ß=df

I've always wondered how to get the alt things to work, I still can't do it and never have been able to with any keyboard I've owned. Holding alt and pressing 167 gives me nothing.

z987k said:
I've always wondered how to get the alt things to work, I still can't do it and never have been able to with any keyboard I've owned. Holding alt and pressing 167 gives me nothing.

Make sure your NumLock key is on.

Chad

Back