Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Apparently the US flag has been banned in a school

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #31
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't see the issue. Schools these days are routinely understaffed compared to the standards of 25 years ago and their problems escalate as that gets worse. At the same time they are under a great deal more scrutiny and are expected to accommodate more and more variables in their day while being 'fair' and not applying rules arbitrarily.

It seems this school encountered a problem. Instead of expending limited resources making judgment calls and policing a more vague policy, they made a clear, evenly applied rule. That some are upset by this is unsurprising (although I note that there is more hoopla in the press over this than nonsense 'zero tolerance' polices, which are far more egregious).

There are 2 circumstances when you are almost certain to get administrators (of ANY organization) making broad, sweeping policies that are well-meaning but fail to take into account specific situations.

A) neuter the authority to make judgment calls by failing to support the judgment calls that are made

B) when an organization is underfunded, undermanned or under heavy stress

Our litigious society suing over decisions made and unions protecting teachers who make bad decisions has placed schools in the first circumstance and the voters' ongoing obsession with lower taxes and more services without prioritizing public schooling has produced the second.

Adjust your expectations: you will see more and more of these kinds of decisions unless and until we fix those problems.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #32
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
I don't see the issue. Schools these days are routinely understaffed compared to the standards of 25 years ago and their problems escalate as that gets worse. At the same time they are under a great deal more scrutiny and are expected to accommodate more and more variables in their day while being 'fair' and not applying rules arbitrarily.

It seems this school encountered a problem. Instead of expending limited resources making judgment calls and policing a more vague policy, they made a clear, evenly applied rule. That some are upset by this is unsurprising (although I note that there is more hoopla in the press over this than nonsense 'zero tolerance' polices, which are far more egregious).

There are 2 circumstances when you are almost certain to get administrators (of ANY organization) making broad, sweeping policies that are well-meaning but fail to take into account specific situations.

A) neuter the authority to make judgment calls by failing to support the judgment calls that are made

B) when an organization is underfunded, undermanned or under heavy stress

Our litigious society suing over decisions made and unions protecting teachers who make bad decisions has placed schools in the first circumstance and the voters' ongoing obsession with lower taxes and more services without prioritizing public schooling has produced the second.

Adjust your expectations: you will see more and more of these kinds of decisions unless and until we fix those problems.
With all due respect, there is no reasonable justification for the "evenly applied rule" that was implemented. Whatever justification the school board used for this mandate was skewed, to say the least. I have spent every day of the last nine years defending the very freedom that enables the school board to make that decision. That freedom they exercised is represented by one of the symbols they banned. I am sickened by total disregard for patriotism and loyalty to this country.
"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #33
howlinowl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehilde
. I have spent every day of the last nine years defending the very freedom that enables the school board to make that decision.
Thank you, sir, for your service.

Allan
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty

On Deck:

On Tap 1: Yuengling Traditional Lager
On Tap 2: Kayumanggi Ale (pronounced "Kai-you-mang-ghe) Tagalog for "Brown"
Various bottles and cans: San Miguel Premium Lager, Flying Dog Mix Pack, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

Quick Reply