Anyone from Yakima WA area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Anyone from Yakima WA?

SWMBO and I have been looking to relocate to the pacific northwest. Right now I'm looking at a job ad in Yakima that does essentially what I'm doing right now but its an extra $8K a year.

I know it must be a little rain shadowed because its on the east side of the Cascades. But is it still reasonably green? Or is it more on the dry side?

And how are the tattoo shops? SWMBO is an artist and would be looking to get into a new shop?

Lived in Ellensburg for a spell back in my teens. Not a whole lot to do around the area until the snow falls...it never gets really hot, around mid-80's, maybe low 90's at most.

As for foliage, it's one of the best areas in the US for agriculture of all kinds. Big on apples, vineyards, etc. You might be able to get a few rows of hops going in your back yard if it's big enough!

(100th post, btw.)

I'm not living there now but, spent 2 yrs in Yakima. I would go back if the opportunity arises.

Yakima Valley is very very dry (7in/yr precipitation) it is classified as desert. Outside of the town/orchards there are no trees, everything is irrigated. You will likely have two water bills, one for drinking and one for irrigation. I found the area had its own sort of stark beauty, sage brush in bloom is pretty and smells wonderful. In a half hour you can drive to the foot of the Cascades and be deep in the mountains in an hour. There is much forest land that is set aside for receration of all types. You could even get a permit and go cut your own Christmas tree. There is a huge amount of snow in the mountains, but usually not much in the Yakima Valley. Chinook Pass, one route to Seattle, is closed from September to April due to snow.

I couldn't tell you about tattoo parlors, I'm sure there are many. The community is very diverse and during the picking season there is a huge influx as migrant workers come in for harvest. These are mostly hispanic and they have a culture that includes tattoos.

Make sure you know the area of the city that you plan on living in. As I said it is very diverse. Like any city of it's size it has good areas and bad. I made the mistake of buying in an area that looked very nice and quiet in February/March that changed very dramatically when the migrant population started arriving and bringing some more seedy types that prey on those that are trying to make a living.

As I'm sure you know Yakima is the hops capital of the world. To the east of the city near the small town of Wapato there 1000's of acres of hops fields. I lived there before I was into brewing, but it was still interesting to see the miles of pole lines empty and then go back a few weeks later and they're full of vines 20' high. There is also a fresh hops festival of sorts with a brewing contest.:mug:

Thanks for the info.

I was hoping for more rain. SWMBO has been hoping for something closer to the coast. But I might be able to parley this job into something in Seattle or Olympia in 5 years.

But low 90s for summer highs would be an improvement over the low 100s here. And if I could give up my snowblower, that would be fantastic.

Not a good idea to give up the snowblower...I remember a good 4' drift that settled in overnight. Canceled school, but my folks had me shovel both the driveway and the sidewalk.

And we lived on a corner, so it was twice the normal amount of sidewalk.

And they didn't believe in wasting salt on them either.

>.<

I went to Wazoo in Pullman, and spent some time in Yakima off and on.
It's an interesting place. Hops grow wonderfully and the people are cool.
Both Portland and Seattle aren't too far away.

not a bad move. I'd do it if I could sell my SF Bay Condo.

Anything east of the Cascades will be high desert because all the mountains squeeze the rain into the valley. If you want more rain and coastline, you gotta look to the west side.

No. Still here in snowy SLC.

I just put in for a job in Portland, OR. It's a probably a better location for my wife. The anouncement closed Wednesday. Hopefully I'll hear something this week about an interview.

Back