Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone use a straight razor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Adrian Abascal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone use a straight razor?

I just bought one and I just used it and my face hurts. BUT I didn't get cut! WOOO semi success!

I have a few important questions though.

How do I know the blade sharp enough?

I can't get the lather thick enough it is always super thin and dries quickly.

When I am shaving with the grain I feel the hair being cut. and a slight pulling. Against the grain however hurts like a bitch. There is so much pulling I can barely stand it. Especially around the thicker areas like the chin.

I know I must be doing something wrong. Maybe my angle I am shaving in is too small? Maybe the lather is too thin? Maybe the blade is dull so it is pulling instead of cutting?

My guess it is the lather soap because I feel my face drying and tightening as I write this.

I doubt it was my angle because I tryed several different angles and at 45degrees I was scraping my skin not shaving.

So it is either the lather soap or the blade dullness.

Before I kill myself saturday morning what is some advice?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

They say it better than I could...

http://www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/intro.html

Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Don't have one but I'd like one. I do use a brush and a tub of cream instead of regular shaving cream and love it. I use the men's shaving cream from The Body Shop which costs $12, but lasts me nearly a year and don't have any problems with the lather.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I did for about two years. I stopped because I realized the truth of an advice column I read in GQ. It said something like, "Shaving with a straight edge is like making your own soap. Sure you can do it, buy why would you want to?"

These days I never shave unless I have to wear my respirator at work.

I don't think I ever did anything that really made my face hurt. But I never shaved against the grain with it. I don't think you are supposed to. I'm quite impressed you did without cutting yourself.

I'd also recommend putting on a thick layer of shaving foam. And after shaving, use lotion on your face. You're scraping off a lot more skin than with a disposable and you're removing a lot more moisture from your skin with it.

Is the one you got a blade that needs resharpening or is it one you replace the blades on? If its a blade you have to resharpen, I'd sharpen it a little before every use. If its one where you are replacing razor blades, expect to put a new one in every 5 to 7 days. I think I was doing once a week, but when I used my straight edge it shaved so close I really only needed to do it every other day.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I sometimes shave with a straight razor. I am not good enough yet to give you good advice, but I will let you know I am with you. Good job for not cutting yourself. I have probably shaved about ten times so far and not cut myself more than a very minor abrasion. Get an alum block or steptic pencil for that...and go slow to avoid cuts.

Angle is important, but you might need to work on the sharpening. I still have a bit of a painful time when shaving my mustache area. I go with the grain, never against, but that's just me.

Many razors are not shave ready just out of the box. You must use a leather strop to sharpen them. I don't have any yet, but need to use diamond sharpening paste to work into the strop for that extra sharpness. This may produce a cleaner cut with no "pull".

I am so slow, that my shave cream is dry on the other side of my face by the time I finish the first side. I end up having to reapply several times. No big deal, beats rushing and cutting myself. use a good badger/boar hair brush and hot water.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ghtrazorplace/ is a good source, a forum of other razor users, much like this forum is to homebrewers.

Also, I have ordered products from http://www.classicshaving.citymax.com/Home.html and been pleased. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

In 1975, in Groton Connecticut, I purchased a carton of Trac II blades (it was a salvage store). I'm on the last package & I intend to buy more as needed. I inherited very tender skin from my Dad. On the occasions when he went to a pro for a shave, they always asked him to not come back!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[quote=Adrian Ab
I doubt it was my angle because I tryed several different angles and at 45degrees I was scraping my skin not shaving.

So it is either the lather soap or the blade dullness.

Before I kill myself saturday morning what is some advice?

Thanks

-Age[/quote]

Try it at about 23 degrees. Shave angle and sharpening angles should be virtually identical.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
"Shaving with a straight edge is like making your own soap. Sure you can do it, buy why would you want to?"
Kind of like making beer, huh?

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ummmmm. I've always wanted to learn how to shave with a straight razor. I've used a brush and mug and a safety razor for the past 25 years, but never a straight razor.

I recall when I was young my barber used to shave the back of my neck and around my ears with a straight razor after a laying on a steam towel for a bit and then rubbing on a thick lather of hot shaving soap. It was a glorious feeling.

Now I'm going to have to visit the shaving forums to learn what razor, strop, stone, and brush to buy.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
I recall when I was young my barber used to shave the back of my neck and around my ears with a straight razor after a laying on a steam towel for a bit and then rubbing on a thick lather of hot shaving soap. It was a glorious feeling.
It sends shivers down my spine! They scare the absolute beejesus out of me! Something to do with being born in Paisley, which used to be known as the knife capital of Scotland. Have been threatened twice with knifes but was not scared as they were not razors.

Never had a barber use one until I moved to Tasmania, the first time he picked it up off the shelf in front of the mirror I nearly got out the seat! Funny looking back but at the time...

Was less scared doing a parachute jump!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Quick Reply