Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone Snus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4899 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Portion snus are broken up into several categories. The two main categories are independent of size and they are Original and White (all other color designations are part of the market branding). Original comes in a pouch that is "natural" in color. White comes in a pouch that is "bleached". The White pouches are a little thicker and take a little more time for the flavor/nicotine to come through, but don't leave stained teeth as bad as the Original snus can and don't become overly moist as fast (last longer in your mouth). I actually prefer the White, but it's low on my list of preferences with snus.

The other categories in portion snus are size and they are indicated by Mini, Large, and Maxi. Original and White can come in any size... except for Maxi... I don't think there is a White Maxi.
I ain't puttin it my mouth if there is!

Sorry, had to go there. Disgraceful, I know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #22
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I ain't puttin it my mouth if there is!

Sorry, had to go there. Disgraceful, I know.
I see what you did there. Don't apologize. My sense of humor can stoop that low.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #23
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just tried the Camel Snus for the first time today. I am an (average) smoker, and I must say, when I have my snus I have no desires for a cigarette. (In fact they tend to taste like **** afterwords)

The mellow is okay, but the frost is nice. Ive heard good things about the spice flavor but I havent been able to find any.

And for the record - I have puked my guts out EVERY TIME I have tried dip or chewing tobacco. This stuff is smooth and not harsh at all. The thing about dip and chewing bacco is they FERMENT the leaves as well as add all kinds of salt/sugar/flavorings.
Snus isnt too bad, I need to try some of the Sweedish stuff now.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
I just tried the Camel Snus for the first time today. I am an (average) smoker, and I must say, when I have my snus I have no desires for a cigarette. (In fact they tend to taste like **** afterwords)

The mellow is okay, but the frost is nice. Ive heard good things about the spice flavor but I havent been able to find any.

And for the record - I have puked my guts out EVERY TIME I have tried dip or chewing tobacco. This stuff is smooth and not harsh at all. The thing about dip and chewing bacco is they FERMENT the leaves as well as add all kinds of salt/sugar/flavorings.
Snus isnt too bad, I need to try some of the Sweedish stuff now.
-Me
I too plan top order some of the swedish mixes, once my domestic supply is gone.

I have not heard of a Spice from Camel but have heard of an Original and cannot find it anywhere either. Perhaps it's an original spice and we are talking about the same thing.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #25
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I too plan top order some of the swedish mixes, once my domestic supply is gone.

I have not heard of a Spice from Camel but have heard of an Original and cannot find it anywhere either. Perhaps it's an original spice and we are talking about the same thing.
Quite possibly. I cant remember where I was surfing today when I was at work (and my computer totally pooped on me today)

Gonna be a fun day tomorrow!
Wheeeeeeeee
-Me

Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #26
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I dont know if this was posted here earlier in this thread, but Snus Central - Your Source For Everything SNUS appears to be an EXCELLENT resource for those who want to know more about it
-Me

Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #27
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Here's a page full of strong snus. The ones I've had and like are Skruf Stark, General Sterk, and Nick & Johnny. The strongest one of those 3 is Skruf at 14 mg/g. I believe that each portion is 1 gram, so that would also equal per portion. 14 mg was a little much for me. I've settled into the 11 mg. (And I generally prefer strong tobacco.) When I first tried snus, I bought a sampler pack of various loose snus. I learned 2 things from that: not to buy loose again and which flavors I prefer.

I don't really like the snuses that are flavored too much... like licorice, eucalyptus, etc. I like the tobacco taste. One thing I've learned with Swedish snus is not to buy the super cheap stuff. It's not near as good (low quality tobacco, bad flavor, looser pouches) as the mid or higher priced snus. This would be a good starter kit of portion snus. It takes about 5-7 days for me to get the delivery in the mail from day of order (Swedish Post). I wouldn't order more than 2 rolls per order... it might get flagged and confiscated buy customs.
Followed your advice and ordered the kit yesterday. I should have put you down as my reference.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Ordered myself a Swedish match White portion kit (large) as well.

8 tins plus shipping cost less (albeit not by much) than the domestically available tins. In my area, a 15 portion tin goes for $5.16 each.

Those USB fridges are cool too. 40 tins is a lot to order at once tho', especially when you can get a similar fridge online for $15.

On a side note:

I had been smoking nearly a pack a day for well over a decade or two before finding Snus. After using Snus for over a month (month and half I guess) I came down with a really bad sinus cold/infection (no fever). Now that I am over that, my lungs are trying to clear themselves and it is "sobering" just how abusive smoking has been. I have kept a pack of cigarettes in teh garage that I bought when I got my first tin, it's still a quarter full.

I opted to try the Snus as a sessation alternative after nothing else has worked. I think, so far, it's doing a decent job.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #29
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just placing my order for 5 tins. Did you see the Energy Snus?
Snus - Elixyr Power Energy portion

I'm ordering 1 of those - just because.

Machine, I want to put you as the referrer - what should I put in there?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #30
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Wow, they're getting a lot of business this week. I just ordered 2 rolls myself as I was getting low. It came to around $3.80/can with shipping. (Plus I love BuySnus because they send you a small "gift" for free when you order a roll or two. I've gotten pens, bottle openers, extra cans of snus, a baseball cap, etc.)

I think it's a great cigarette smoking cessation tool. Although I don't use it for that. I never smoked cigarettes much, except early in my military days. I just like tobacco, so I try to use the least risky forms and in moderacy.

One tip on storage... The reason they say to store it cold is to help maintain it's moisture content. But refrigerator temps will still dry it out over time. I keep mine in the freezer and take a can out as needed. It still stays moist for a couple days once open.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS