Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone Snus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
dzlater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Can you buy this at US tobacco stores?
I been smoking for a long time
and this seems like it be a better alternatve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
Can you buy this at US tobacco stores?
I been smoking for a long time
and this seems like it be a better alternatve.
Possibly the Camel snus. It was originally released in limited locations for market research, but it may be all over now... I'm not sure. I haven't tried the Camel stuff, so I don't know how it compares to the Swedish snus. But I've read reviews that it's not as good.

I don't believe Swedish Match exports the Swedish snus to the US, but you can order it online at the link I posted before. If you do that, order a sampler pack first, to see which ones you like. Smokers tend to go for the stronger snus. I'd recommend the portion snus (pouches). The loose stuff is messy and difficult to form correctly to put in your upper lip. They make forming tools for loose snus, but the portion stuff is so much easier to deal with.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
solstice
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've had the Camel snus a couple times. I'd like to find a local source for something stronger though.

Ale Pail: Autumn Amber Ale
Ale Pail: American Light Ale
Carb/Condition -ing: Kolsch 5-6
Drinking:
Up Next: Kolsch 7-?, Cascade Pale Ale
RIP: Red Ale 1-3, Scottish Light Ale, Grand Cru, Apfelwein 1, Kolsch 1-4, Cherry Wheat

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
celestialparsnip
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's very popular here, especially with teenage girls.

I smoke, and even I find the idea of putting that stuff in my mouth disgusting.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How does snus compare with the typical US dip tobacco taste-wise?

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
The Camel snus, to me, has a more woody, earthy, candy like flavor with very little tobacco bite. I haven't done a lot of the chewing tobacco but what I remember of it was a strong earthy tone with hints of a black pepper type bite.

I have been using the Camel Snus ever since it hit the shelves here in OKC (~ 1 month) and have had about 12 cigarettes since. I use 1 portion about every 2 to 3 hours so (1) 15 portion tin last me 2 to 3 days as opposed to me smoking nearly 20 cigarettes a day.

I'll have to try Machines suggestions and see if I can save some more cash by importing and getting something a little stronger. The Camel Snus is reported as having ~8mg nicotine per pouch but, it's a slow dose. Most often, it's the time between portions that I find I want a smoke.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Here's a page full of strong snus. The ones I've had and like are Skruf Stark, General Sterk, and Nick & Johnny. The strongest one of those 3 is Skruf at 14 mg/g. I believe that each portion is 1 gram, so that would also equal per portion. 14 mg was a little much for me. I've settled into the 11 mg. (And I generally prefer strong tobacco.) When I first tried snus, I bought a sampler pack of various loose snus. I learned 2 things from that: not to buy loose again and which flavors I prefer.

I don't really like the snuses that are flavored too much... like licorice, eucalyptus, etc. I like the tobacco taste. One thing I've learned with Swedish snus is not to buy the super cheap stuff. It's not near as good (low quality tobacco, bad flavor, looser pouches) as the mid or higher priced snus. This would be a good starter kit of portion snus. It takes about 5-7 days for me to get the delivery in the mail from day of order (Swedish Post). I wouldn't order more than 2 rolls per order... it might get flagged and confiscated buy customs.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
That's a difficult question to answer...at least for me... and I've had plenty of types of dip. Snus is very unique in its flavor. The first time I opened it up, I had never smelled anything like it. But the bottom line is, it's still tobacco and you can taste that... at least in the snus that's not loaded with flavorings.

I think the only comparison with dip is that it's tobacco and you put it in your mouth. Other than that, I consider them very different. You don't "taste" it as much because it's in your upper lip. So, it doesn't make you salivate like dip does. Somehow I doubt the Camel snus is a good example of snus in general... but I've not tried it, so I don't know for sure. But I would recommend reserving final judgment on snus until you've tried the Swedish snus. Swedish snus is to tobacco as Ikea is to furniture (quality aside). It's just a very unique product and you'll have to try for yourself.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I don't really like the snuses that are flavored too much... like licorice, eucalyptus, etc. I like the tobacco taste. One thing I've learned with Swedish snus is not to buy the super cheap stuff. It's not near as good (low quality tobacco, bad flavor, looser pouches) as the mid or higher priced snus. This would be a good starter kit of portion snus. It takes about 5-7 days for me to get the delivery in the mail from day of order (Swedish Post). I wouldn't order more than 2 rolls per order... it might get flagged and confiscated buy customs.
The Camel Frost has a spearamint twang to it and it isn't bad but, I do prefer the Mellow.

I was looking at that sampler as well as the White sampler. I gather from reading that the differences between original, white, and black are portion sizings.

It might also be "interesting" to compare the Swedish market Camel Snus with tha of what is available here. At least, interesting to me.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I was looking at that sampler as well as the White sampler. I gather from reading that the differences between original, white, and black are portion sizings.
Portion snus are broken up into several categories. The two main categories are independent of size and they are Original and White (all other color designations are part of the market branding). Original comes in a pouch that is "natural" in color. White comes in a pouch that is "bleached". The White pouches are a little thicker and take a little more time for the flavor/nicotine to come through, but don't leave stained teeth as bad as the Original snus can and don't become overly moist as fast (last longer in your mouth). I actually prefer the White, but it's low on my list of preferences with snus.

The other categories in portion snus are size and they are indicated by Mini, Large, and Maxi. Original and White can come in any size... except for Maxi... I don't think there is a White Maxi.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply