Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone in the military?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
He's in intelligence,
Thats why we end up bombing the Chinese Embassys.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Having held some rather high clearances in the Navy and dealt with the "Intelligence" community too often, my position is that most of them feel they are special because they have access to data that other people don't. The simple fact that most of this data is trash isn't a factor. They've got it & you don't.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a vet and a civil servant with over 34 combined years of service tell the asswad that he was a civilian before he was a soldier and he'll be a civilian again...

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-24-2008 at 03:11 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
Eskimo Spy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Having held some rather high clearances in the Navy and dealt with the "Intelligence" community too often, my position is that most of them feel they are special because they have access to data that other people don't. The simple fact that most of this data is trash isn't a factor. They've got it & you don't.
+1, and I was in the Navy as well, high security clearance, and I think you're spot on.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Eskimo, your aquaintence is a jackwad. You can tell him I said that. He has a lot to learn in life. And he isn't going to learn what he needs to learn in the military. I was a Marine for 4 years. I had a great time and a very successful enlistment (e.g., for my last PFT, I ran 3 miles in 15:56!), but wanted to move on and go to college. I have no regrets and only miss it in the nostalgic sense, but I'm glad I got out and became a civilian again. I don't think I'm better than civilians for having been in the military. I may have experience unique to the military, but it doesn't make me better.

The military isn't for everyone (although I happen to believe one should have had to serve (active duty!) to be eligible to be President, AKA Commander-in-Chief... but that doesn't mean I'll only vote for the candidate who did serve).

I can picture this guy... he was probably sort of a loser in high school, joined the military to gain an identity and the automatic respect of the uniform. Probably came back after boot camp and walked around town in his uniform, wearing badges he didn't earn.

If you're in the military, great, do your job and kudos to you for serving. If you're out... LET IT GO!!!!

END TRANSMISSION

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #16
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Army - Going on 12 years.

Eskimo - Next chance you get punch that clown in the throat for me.

I work and try real hard to go beyond sterotypes in the military. HEll, I am a Military Policeman, and we are one of the most hated groups in the Army (and for good reason-most MP as A$$H@l3s). But anyone that thinks that past performance is an indicator of current status needs to be set straight.

I love my job and will keep at it util they beat me out with a stick. Is it hard, hell yeah! I have spent all are part of every year from 2001 until now deployed. Does that mean that I am better than any one, hell no! I am no better than any other man or woman thatwakes up and goes in to the office everyday, we all have our jobs to do, and IMHO that is really all there is to it.

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Old 07-25-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Eskimo Spy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

lol, fortunately I don't have to see the guy, but if I ever do, a punch in the throat sounds about right

Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well just re-enlisted for another 6 years yesterday. I think it's hard to make a general statement concerning any large body or organization in full. Anybody that would make a statement like that either rgarding anything would have to be blatantly ignorant, because it would be very speculative to base a general statement that covers every individual within that rank. All in all that statement pretty much shows you the intelligence level of that individual. While I agree that there are morons both in the civilian and military world, there are people more caring and commendable than I am, and it would be disrespectful to shame them in a general blanket statement. .

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #19
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like he needs a blanket party to give him some perspective. The military is under a lot of the fickle public's eye over the last few years, and it doesn't need clownskulls like him giving an aura of a bad reputation.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I did three years Active, jumping out planes running around bad places and did a good job of messing up my shoulder and back. Not badly, but surfing big waves or doing anything stressful is out of the question. Then I spent quite a few years in college while in the reserves and for the last decade plus I have worked as a contractor computer geek. Otherwise proudly known as the blood sucking leaches suckling off of the governments teats.
I volunteer to deploy, they don't let me go because "they like me there doing the/ir work". I volunteer to work night shifts, they don't let me because "they like me there doing the/ir work".
I really miss having active duty people in the shop, but they are busy shooting bullets and dropping bombs.
I don't want to make this a political debate, but the military is really pushed to meet all of the requirements, and love working for them and with them.
The contractors are expendable, the military moves around too much to have the institutional memory needed in places, and the civilians are usually burnt out for one reason or another. Maybe we should act like the Swiss, have a kick ass military, but do not go out of country, "except to guard the Pope". The watch all hell break loose and sell both sides the weapons like the French, "Then complain about anyone interfering".

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply