Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone know anything about wood stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post
not hard to heat with wood only. BTW we would turn the old stoves completely down over night and in the morning open the vents and the fire would start again. open the door and shove a couple logs and get it stoked. when the fire was burning nice we would close the vents and get the embers glowing. when we came home same thing. problem is now these new stoves dont let you do this.
I have a very small new stove. Shut down all the way it still stays hot over night. I can almost start the fire from the coals alone in the morning. With a larger stove and larger logs I would imagine it is very possible.

I remember when my parents had a wood burning furnace that would take 25"+ long logs that were about 14+" diameter. You could fit several of those logs and would still have a decent fire in the morning. I do not miss the loads and loads of firewood we cut and split back then.

Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post
not hard to heat with wood only. BTW we would turn the old stoves completely down over night and in the morning open the vents and the fire would start again. open the door and shove a couple logs and get it stoked. when the fire was burning nice we would close the vents and get the embers glowing. when we came home same thing. problem is now these new stoves dont let you do this.
some stoves are EPA exempt and you can still bank them and shut the vents down to burn all night and day. The ones with catalytic converters need to be run hot or they plug up. I used to heat my house with a King wood/coal stove and the oil burner rarely went on . I miss the coal load it once a day with 80lbs and let it work. This pellet stove sucks they say it has the same BTU per hour My a** thing runs at high and the oil burner goes on a few times at night and during the day.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
I have a very small new stove. Shut down all the way it still stays hot over night. I can almost start the fire from the coals alone in the morning. With a larger stove and larger logs I would imagine it is very possible.

I remember when my parents had a wood burning furnace that would take 25"+ long logs that were about 14+" diameter. You could fit several of those logs and would still have a decent fire in the morning. I do not miss the loads and loads of firewood we cut and split back then.

Craig
My old stove would take 36" logs I would stack unsplit logs and fill the gaps with split wood. In the morning I still had a nice hot bed of coals and it would start right up. Just a word of warning if you do the all night thing make sure you burn the fire hot for a while the next day ... Better to burn off a little creosote than chance a raging chimney fire .... Yup coal is looking better and better to me next spring this pellet stove and what ever remains of the pellets are going on Graigslist ... I still have 28 feet of metalbestos SS pipe from my old stove

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's my stove

I heat with wood, and the house furnace set at 60 as backup, only when the temps are in the teens or lower. Otherwise, pilot to furnnace is off. I heat a 2 br, 1 bath ranch.

Check out this site:
Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products

I have been a member there since 2006, it's a great bunch of guys and like here, you will get a good answer to your questions.
I am NJTomatoguy there also.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTomatoguy View Post
Here's my stove

I heat with wood, and the house furnace set at 60 as backup, only when the temps are in the teens or lower. Otherwise, pilot to furnnace is off. I heat a 2 br, 1 bath ranch.

Check out this site:
Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products

I have been a member there since 2006, it's a great bunch of guys and like here, you will get a good answer to your questions.
I am NJTomatoguy there also.
Hope this helps.
Bob
I just joined that forum to get some info on a problem with the pellet stove...Hopefully the rep from England stove works gets back to me.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Once we get the stove on we can heat our house soley on the stove, we burn wood. But there is no way our stove still has hot embers in it the next morning. If we don't keep the wood fed it will lose any hopes of restarting on its own in about 2 hours. We don't feel comfortable going to bed with a blazing stove anyway, usually feel ok when it is down to a few flames. I guess we have a different stove. Even so, on weekdays we get up and go to work, not start a fire before going to work. Even so we would return 10 hours later, stove would be cold as ice. I have a 125g saltwater fishtank, I can't afford for the house to get too cold.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
jgln
Recipes 

[QUOTE=NJTomatoguy;1025251]Here's my stove

That is my point, he said he heats his house soley with the stove, you like me have a backup so the pipes won't freeze.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post

Craig

Wow, 25" by 14" is huge; I couldn't even get one end in. Sure you don't mean circumference? That must be a huge stove. A stove that big burning good and hot would probably spontaneously combust my house.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #19
jgln
Recipes 

[QUOTE=jgln;1025287]Wow, 25" by 14" is huge; I couldn't even get one end in.

I just realized this might make it in the memorable quotes thread.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Wow, 25" by 14" is huge; I couldn't even get one end in.
Got it!

Just kidding,
What town in South Jersey?

Quick Reply