Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone into mountain biking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
ColoradoXJ13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
Notice I said most fram builders.....I don't necc. mean Bikes that are mass produced, not unlike BMC
I'm sure glad Tom Kellogg built the frame for my road bike.
sorry, didn't pay attention to that, I didn't think many people in this thread were considering/have custom frames, I certainly don't, but will as soon as I am rich

Then again, I make about $2500 per summer for maintaining the pool in my complex, been eyeing this for a long time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #22
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is the trek fuel 90 an upgrade from the 4900?

Particularly this one i found on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Trek-4900-1...QQcmdZViewItem

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #23
ill.literate
Recipes 

I've got a Trek 6500 hardtail that I absolutely love.

I got it years ago, and have ridden the hell out of it and it never fails me.

I'd love to upgrade, but I can't part with it, so I'm thinking I might just upgrade some components here and there. Thinking about disc brakes, and some clipless pedals.

That looks like a great bike to get into it with

Hope you get it

Up next:

Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #24
Petey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Trek 4500 Rider here...

I love my bike...i do alot of travel and take it with me everywhere in hopes of finding a new trail to ride.

I'm hoping to upgrade myself here in about a month and use the 4500 for all out trail abuse/commute, and have a much nicer bike for a good ride/racing.

As far as the Fuel 90 Vs the 4900...The Fuel definately has better components, especially considering that the price is virtually the same. More importantly though...which bike is the appropriate size? thats what matters most...hell half the fun is riding like all hell, breaking parts and replacing them all while you brew..then top the day off with a good ride.

Secondary# 1:
Secondary # 2:

On Tap:
Robust Porter
White IPA
Dry Irish Stout

Kegged & Waiting:

Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #25
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill.literate
I've got a Trek 6500 hardtail that I absolutely love.

I got it years ago, and have ridden the hell out of it and it never fails me.

I'd love to upgrade, but I can't part with it, so I'm thinking I might just upgrade some components here and there. Thinking about disc brakes, and some clipless pedals.

That looks like a great bike to get into it with

Hope you get it
I really would not waste money on getting disk breaks. Its a pretty expensive conversion and a good set of V breaks you will have similar results. I think clip less pedals should be the first thing anyone getting into biking should buy. They take a while to get used to, and you will fall a few times stopping. But after a few rides its just natural. I have them on all my bikes and wont ride with out them.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #26
Petey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I really would not waste money on getting disk breaks. Its a pretty expensive conversion and a good set of V breaks you will have similar results. I think clip less pedals should be the first thing anyone getting into biking should buy. They take a while to get used to, and you will fall a few times stopping. But after a few rides its just natural. I have them on all my bikes and wont ride with out them.

Definately true about the Clipless pedals....once you are comfotable riding get a set, what a difference it is....the crazy part is that you wont fall at speed or in anything particularly tricky, but when your nearly at a stop and forget that your clipped in...It really only takes around say 3-5 rides to get the hang of em though. As far as the brakes...It seems like most bikes come with disc nowadays anyways, and agree partially that in dry terrain v-brakes will yield just about as good results, but in the wetter terrain i wouldnt trade my discs out for a thing. Thats just MY* personal preference though.

*I know people can be pretty opinionated about they're bikes...All views are my own

Secondary# 1:
Secondary # 2:

On Tap:
Robust Porter
White IPA
Dry Irish Stout

Kegged & Waiting:

Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #27
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the fuel 90 is going to fit me well. Im only 5'6" and its a 17.5" frame. Does that sound about right to you guys? I have plans to meet with the guy next wednesday to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey
Trek 4500 Rider here...

I love my bike...i do alot of travel and take it with me everywhere in hopes of finding a new trail to ride.

I'm hoping to upgrade myself here in about a month and use the 4500 for all out trail abuse/commute, and have a much nicer bike for a good ride/racing.

As far as the Fuel 90 Vs the 4900...The Fuel definately has better components, especially considering that the price is virtually the same. More importantly though...which bike is the appropriate size? thats what matters most...hell half the fun is riding like all hell, breaking parts and replacing them all while you brew..then top the day off with a good ride.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #28
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey
As far as the brakes...It seems like most bikes come with disc nowadays anyways, and agree partially that in dry terrain v-brakes will yield just about as good results, but in the wetter terrain i wouldnt trade my discs out for a thing. Thats just MY* personal preference though.

*I know people can be pretty opinionated about they're bikes...All views are my own
I will agree with that, I don't have to deal with the rain and very humid weather like some of yall. Bet hey who needs brakes anyways.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

First off, the Fuel 90 is a full suspension bike and the 4900 is a hardtail, apples and oranges. Second, if you are 5'6", the 17.5" or the 18" frame is too big for you, you should be looking in the 16" range, 17" MAX if the bike has a hugely sloping top tube, this is a mountain bike, you are going to fall, protect those nads.

Oh, and anyone who claims that V-brakes are better than discs has never ridden discs more than once. Would I upgrade if I had v-brakes, maybe, the costs of discs has gone way down while the quality has gone up, do I have v-brakes on my commuter bike, yes, and no plans to upgrade, but I wouldn't ever buy a mountain bike with v-brakes again.

Tophe, you need to go into a bike shop, a good bike shop, and talk with a salesman, test ride some bikes, and learn a bit more before you buy. You don't have to buy at the shop, but learn the differences between suspension types, component levels, and ride a few different frame sizes.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #30
ill.literate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I've been riding with clips since I was 14, so I'm pretty used to it. I'm just looking forward to not having to deal with the clips and my toes falling asleep inside them.
Up next:

Quick Reply