Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone have this mini-lathe??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Just looked at Grizzly's site... They have a set of 1/4" tools, so those would work. Going to see if it's possible to get the holders that you can use with the replaceable tips in either 1/4" or 5/16". Or see if anyone knows if you can change the post over to one that accepts 3/8" tools. That would probably be the best thing.

I'm also planning on initially clamping the lathe to a workbench. Once I get another bench/stand, I'll secure it to that with bolts.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, not cheap but they do offer a set with the inserts in 5/16"...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Glan...et-5-16-/H5680

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Check out littlemachineshop dot com, wholesale tool has some stuff, and on the high end with American made indexable tooling is carbide depot. All of the above carry indexable tool bits.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Unholy HELL!! Almost double the cost for their lower cost lathe (at littlemachineshop)... Being between jobs right now, I need to not spend more for something that I can spend less to get the job done.

I could see getting a Grizzly lathe later, if the HF dies after a year (or when it does, and I'm not between contracts again).

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4955 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Unholy HELL!! Almost double the cost for their lower cost lathe (at littlemachineshop)... Being between jobs right now, I need to not spend more for something that I can spend less to get the job done.

I could see getting a Grizzly lathe later, if the HF dies after a year (or when it does, and I'm not between contracts again).
Reading the reviews, buyer seem rather supportive of ity for the hobbyist. Biggest complaint, and most common, is the plastic gearing.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Reading the reviews, buyer seem rather supportive of ity for the hobbyist. Biggest complaint, and most common, is the plastic gearing.
From what I've read, I think the plastic gears are for cutting threads. Not sure how much of that I'll actually use the lathe for. IF I do, I'll just be sure to go slow on it. Besides, as I mentioned, I have a set of taps and dies that I can use to thread things.

I'll be going to the local HF shortly. Going to send off another email to the place selling the Clarke lathe to see if they'll price it where I'm comfortable. If not, then I'll try the HF lathe. I do plan on running it as much as possible during the initial 2-3 months. If it doesn't fail me in that amount of time, it should be good for until I outgrow it.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
ong
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I was looking Into small lathes and mills quite a lot a couple years ago, and I remember both the Harbor Freight and the Grizzly lathes being built in the same Chinese factory by Sieg. It seemed like, While they might have different features, the overall quality was about the same. Look and see if the Harbor Freight has plastic gears for the leadscrew.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...or_freight.htm

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I posted those sites for tooling, you are right the LMS lathe is more expensive. The lathe is full of plastic gears not just for thread timing.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I need to hold off on getting this a bit... Need to see if I can do what I really need with my existing drill press (I know I won't be able to turn anything, but I might be able to ream out the fittings I need to). Once I'm actually on a job again, I'll be in a better position to get a better lathe. IF I find that I can't do the task with the drill press (or even a slower moving drill press) and there are not any machine shops that will do the job for me at a reasonable rate, I'll revisit.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Camping57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Find a used lathe on CL or look in the industrial auctions. There is absolutely no comparison in the rigidity of the HF lathe compared to even an old Atlas for $400. By the time you are done, you will end up with more in tooling (chucks, tool holders, boring bars, etc) so you might as well buy something that will last so you only have to buy it all once.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3398541597.html

Reason: add link

Quick Reply