Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone have this mini-lathe??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default Anyone have this mini-lathe??

Looking at getting this lathe. Mostly due to having a 20% off coupon for HF. Puts the cost to just under $400 (will get it from the local HF, no shipping or sales tax ). Really need to know if this is a good lathe or a total steaming pile of rhino dung.

Looking at getting it this week IF it's worth getting. Otherwise, I'll continue to search for a lathe, that will do what I want (turning small items) at a decent/reasonable rate.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Looks like a metal lathe? What are you planning on cutting?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

304 stainless and maybe some other annealed stainless allows is the hardest things to go into it. Want to try using it to ream fittings as well as put holes in TC caps. I have located a 4 jaw chuck for it for not too much money (on Amazon, still looking for other sources).

With the high speed range, I'm wondering if I could also do some wood turning on it. Small things like tap handles.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would look it up here
http://hfreviews.com/

I feel like there was another review website for HF tools but can't find it off hand.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I have turned literally thousands of delrin and aluminum motorcycle and bike pegs on one. Great little lathe for the money. It crapped out after about a year but I used that thing for 8 hours a day 2 weekends a month.

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I have the hf 7x12 which is essentially the same lathe as the 7x10 just a longer bed. I do all sorts of steel work on it, stainless, whatever. Two huge drawbacks is it has no weight to it and is not that rigid, so light cuts are key to smooth results. And it uses 5/16 tool bits, the selection for quality indexable bits is HORRIBLE.

If I were to do it again I would save up and get an 8 or 9 inch lathe. More of a bit selection (they use 3/8 ) and the lathe itself weighs more.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul View Post
I have turned literally thousands of delrin and aluminum motorcycle and bike pegs on one. Great little lathe for the money. It crapped out after about a year but I used that thing for 8 hours a day 2 weekends a month.
It lasted under 400 hours?

I'm looking to ream out stainless fittings that are the bases for corny posts (304 stainless I believe) that already have holes in them, I just need to make some larger. Also looking to make centered holes in round things (brass, stainless, aluminum, etc.) that I can then tap or thread (internal or external). I have a set of taps and dies that I can use for this. I would like to be able to put a centered hole into the 20mm dummy round I have. That way I could tap it for use as a faucet handle.

I read the reviews on the HF site, as well as the linked reviews site posted by The_Dog_42. Only two on the site from The_Dog_42, back in 2009. From mini-lathe.com it sounds like it could be a decent enough mill. I'll have to check it out later today. I like the price of $400, compared with over $700 for a Grizzly mini-lathe (after shipping and such).

I have a line on another lathe, a Clarke BT1028 from another source (off a CL ad). Problem there is it's more money (listed at $600, before finding out the tool post is missing). So, I'd need to get a tool post/holder, as well as the MT2 drill chuck (need the chuck for either one). Since the Clarke is a 7x12 lathe, I'm seriously thinking about getting that one. IF they'll drop the rate to something closer to the HF lathe, and offset the amount I'll need to spend to get the tool holder. Since the HF 7x12 would only run $560 (with the coupon), and it has the tool holder, I'd want the other guys to reduce theirs to at least $500 (if not lower). If not, then I'll just get the HF lathe.

Unless someone has some really bad experiences with this model lathe (ones currently being sold, not previous versions) that is.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
I have the hf 7x12 which is essentially the same lathe as the 7x10 just a longer bed. I do all sorts of steel work on it, stainless, whatever. Two huge drawbacks is it has no weight to it and is not that rigid, so light cuts are key to smooth results. And it uses 5/16 tool bits, the selection for quality indexable bits is HORRIBLE.

If I were to do it again I would save up and get an 8 or 9 inch lathe. More of a bit selection (they use 3/8 ) and the lathe itself weighs more.
Don't have the capital to get a larger lathe. Nor do I have the space, or someone to help me get it into the basement (where I'm setting up my workshop).

I wonder if I could just get another/different tool post/holder that accepts the 3/8" tool size. Guess that's something I'll need to check at the store...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My experiences are not bad but as long as your wants and needs are within the limitations of the lathe then you will be happy. I never really knew how big of a project I would have come up and when it did I was really wanting bigger.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The prob with using 3/8 bits on that lathe is the cutting edge sits too tall compared to the centerline of the part you are working on. I had to use my surface grinder on the tool bit to get the cutting edge at the right height.

Quick Reply