Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > anyone grow their own fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
SmokeMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default anyone grow their own fruit?

just wondering since i planted 2 raspberry and 4 blueberry bushes this year for the express purpose of using them in meads.

the raspberries are heritage variety and the blueberries are 2 chippewa and 2 elliott. when they're fully grown i should get lots of berries from them 20-30 "struck" quarts total, however much that is. i'm still trying to figure out what a struck quart is. 20-30 sounds like a lot regardless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I have blackberries and raspberries, though not enough for wine and mead making. I do have grape vines and elderberries that provide enough fruit for wine and mead.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have many Strawberry plants on the side of my house the produce berries a few times during the season. I pick them when they are ripe, clean and de-stem them, then freeze them until I get enough to do whatever I am using them for. Typically a Strawberry Wine. I have had good results and hope to add some Blackberry to my backyard area next year.

I also have some grape vines, but I am still struggling with these to get them to produce good yields.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have wild raspberries all around the edge of my yard... I have eaten them often, but have yet to use them. Maybe next season I'll get motivated and raspberry a wheat beer.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Planted raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes this year. I don't know if the grapes will make it, my dog decided to bury a bone where they were planted... twice. The raspberries have really taken off, others more slowly.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

I planted crabapple trees and a sour cherry tree about 8 years ago. I use them for wines. I grow rhubarb for rhubarb wine. I have currants, also.

I don't have enough blackberries or raspberries for wine, but I do have some.

I pick a ton of fruit this time of year! I've been harvesting chokecherries (wild) for about two weeks, since those make a great wine. I also "grow" dandelions for wine, too.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We have a ton of raspberries but I usually eat them before anything can be done with them. We also have strawberries, grapes (also live next to a vineyard tough to resist), pears, apples, plums, and blue berries. The last two years I have wanted to try plum wine but this year we had a week of 100+ weather and the plums didn't so well and we were out of town so I was not able to save them.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We have grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, currants, strawberries, apple, cherry, peach, pear and fig tress planted and some I am missing too. But all are young but the grapes are coming along nicely as are the strawberries. In time we should have lots of everything. We mostly feed the turkeys and the bugs though. We tried to go all organic but I have finally convinced her we have to use something or else we will never get any fruit we can eat unless we want to eat worms too. The beetles eat every last peach on the trees.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've planted blueberries, cherry, apple and peach trees, but no, I don't grow any fruit, yet. Other than feral blackberries, not much happening.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
SmokeMonkey
Recipes 

nice to know i;m not alone. right now i only have what i've listed but i plan on doing more in the future. i may also do grapes, more raspberries and blueberries, probably some blackberries and maybe some straw berries. i dont have room for all of them as i am also growing hazelnuts so i may go with grapes and blackberries. i'm thinking concord grapes.

i'm also growing as organically as i can. no herbicides or pesticides, only compost made from materials AFAIK that didnt have pesitcides or herbicides used on them, etc. the compost really makes a difference. the cantaloupe i grew this year were extremely sweet and juicy to the point they almost gushed when they were cut open. tons of flavor, firm but yielding flesh. they were unlike any melon you get at the store. night and day.

i made some mini muffins with the raspberries i collected the past few days and they are excellent. fresh out of the oven the raspberries made me think they were more of a jam. again better than anything i've gotten from the store. tons of flavor and very sweet.

gardening at home > buying produce at the store. hands down.

Quick Reply