Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone ever drink Kava?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever drink Kava?

I just finished reading a travel book "Getting Stoned With Savages." In it, one of the things the author does is drink a lot of kava in Vanuatu (formerly New Hebrides).

Sounds like some interesting stuff. Looks like muddy water, tastes so bad it makes you almost puke, but apparently is very pleasantly inebriating.

From what I can see it is something that is grown and consumed on many islands in the Pacific, including Hawaii.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Never tried it, I hear it taste really bad.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've tried Kava Kava pills... different than the drink you mention but probably the same ingredient. Doesn't do too much but make me feel a bit relaxed, kind of like Valerian does. Never tried it in large quantities.

Planning: n/a

Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
mrfocus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drank some about 2 years ago when my sisters came back from a University semester abroad (Australia) where she toured the south pacific.

The taste isn't that bad (think like a strong tea). It makes you feel relaxed, and can give you a tingling sensation on your lips and tongue after a while.

All in all, it's ok, it's worth trying it, although it's not something I would do regularly.

On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
DavisKettle
Recipes 

Kava tea is great, look for Kava Kava extracts. makes you chill out, get really relaxed for up to 3 hours. sorry no psychadelic journeys while listening to Pink Floyd records.

its alright, too organic for me.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I had the pleasure of drinking Kava in a native village in Fiji about 18 months ago. It was an amazing experience. We hired scooters and drove over an hour to the middle of nowhere, even forded a stream on the scooters! This native village didn't have elctricity, and harvested their own Kava. It's actually a tree root that they pulverise with a mortar and pestle then wrap it in a dish towel, soak it in water and wring it out, over and over. It looks like mud, tastes like mud and after two bowls (Small handmade pottery bowls) of it, I didn't feel anything except a bit of numbness in my mouth and on my tongue.

It was an amazing experience, and I would suggest it to anyone that has the opportunity, but if you are looking for a buzz, 2 bong hits, or 3 shots of wild turkey will give you triple the buzz.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

is this that stuff that all the elders sit around a bowl chewing and spitting it back in to get the fermentation started? or is that something else? i'll pass...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
zoogobot
Recipes 

I live out in Hawaii and some of the kava that I have tried is not bad. They have a kava festival out here at the University of Hawaii where you can try the different strains from other islands including Hawaii. It is basically strained out with water and still taste like mud but some of it is lighter and easier to go down.

There is also a drink called Ozia that has kava and some other relaxing herbs. This guy makes it here in Hawaii and bottles it. This is probably the best kava type drink that I have had because it tastes kinda like a normal tea, but you can still feel that certain "kava" chillout. If your are curious, you can check it out at: drinkozia.com

Basically mixing kava with other stuff can really help. I think natives use coconut sometimes. Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've tried it a few times- looks like dirty dishwater and has a numbing effect on the tongue and lips, along with a nice mellow.

Drink the stuff to excess over the years and everyone will know it- it causes a scale to form in shingles on the skin. You can spot a kava abuser on sight. Saw far too many Yolngu with the crocodile skin drinking kava all day long when I was in Arnhemland. It was introduced into some of the homelands as an alternative to alcohol during the times of the missionaries.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drank a TON of Kava when I was in Fiji. I loved the stuff. Drank it all night on the boat while fishing with the locals.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Quick Reply