Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anyone Ever Collect?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone Ever Collect?

I did when I was in high school in the late 1970s. Believe it or not, back then it was quite a popular hobby for teenagers in my area - mostly males - to collect beer cans. Today, the politically correct police and MADD mothers would get their undies in a bundle over something like that!

I used to have ~500 at one time and I had a friend who had nearly 1500 that lined the walls of his parent's basement rec room. When they retired and sold the house in the mid 1980s, the cans were left behind as part of the deal!

I still have about 100 of the more unusual cans displayed in my kitchen. Almost all the breweries they represent went under by the late 1980s. One of my favorites looks like this one:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I did when I was in high school in the late 1970s. Believe it or not, back then it was quite poular in my area for teenagers - mostly males - to collect beer cans. Today, the politically correct police and MADD mothers would get their undies in a bundle over something like that!

I used to have ~500 at one time and I had a friend who had nearly 1500 that lined the walls of his parent's basement rec room. When they retired and sold the house in the mid 1980s, the cans were left behind as part of the deal!

I still have about 100 of the more unusual cans displayed in my kitchen. Almost all the breweries they represent went under by the late 1980s.
That explains it! Quite often, I see people on Craigslist selling their can collections.

In college, we used to collect bottles. I had a HUGE 4-shelf organizer filled with empty 40's and bottles of Jim Beam.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

When I was a kid, one of the neighbors collected cans. He was about 8 years older than me and it seemed like a bunch of his friends did it too. From what I recall, he was 17-18 when he started and had a pretty cool collection.

You don't hear about it much anymore, but this lady is somewhat inspiring with her can collection

Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
You don't hear about it much anymore, but this lady is somewhat inspiring with her can collection
Yeah, I saw her 'cans' yesterday in another thread!

Back then, I used to belong to the BCCA, which was the - wait for it - Beer Can Collectors of America! They are still around, but with a different name. They used to hold an annual CANvention and boasted Broderick Crawford as a member. Broderick Crawford. Broderick Crawford! WTF kind of celebrity is that?

Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I remember when I was about 15 calling round to a friends house to meet up before we went on to the pub to sneak a quiet pint or two (happy days....)
His Dad was in so we sampled his home brewed bitter and perused the 3 or 4 sacks full of beer mats that he'd collected all round Britain in Pubs.

But collecting cans? That's just scrap metal dealing.....

Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
...But collecting cans? That's just scrap metal dealing.....
No, no! It's art collecting!

And over there in the UK, you had much easier access to one of the true classic beer can series of the 1970s and true works of art in their own right - the Tennants Girls!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Someone posted other pics of the Girls from earlier cans on here in the past. I used to drink Tennant's lager when I was younger but sadly missed the delights of 'Sylvia' and friends.

I love how you called it 'one of the true classic beer can series of the 1970s'. - Spoken like a true collector Rhoobarb!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

My sophomore year in college, I was in a coed dorm and one of the women on the floor had several hundred TAB cans lining the wall of her room. Now that was strange.

[I like Sylvia best]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Lee. Definitely Lee.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I used to collect the contents of beer cans before I found "Real Ale".

Quick Reply