Anyone able to give me a value on some enterprise servers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
OKay, so I've got some servers from a local company that was cleaning out one of their tech centers. All of them are rack mountable and I have all the rails, sas cables, and in two weeks I will have three hulking server racks that all this stuff sat inside.
I got a ton of stuff, most of it is in my garage taking up brewing space.

http://imgur.com/a/xKuUZ

I want to sell them but have limited experience with what they might be worth. Where can I sell them and how much should I be asking?

Thanks!

There are two of the following:
HP Storageworks D2700 Storage arrays
Model # AJ941-63002
Never deployed
25 x 300 GB drives – 7.5TB total

THERE ARE TWO OF THE FOLLOWING
HP Proliant DL370 G6
No OS installed
Product ID 487790-001
Processors:
Processor 1 Intel Xeon 5550 2.67GHz, 8MB L3 Cache
Processor 2 Intel Xeon 5550 2.67GHz, 8MB L3 Cache
RAM 24 GB in 12 2 gb sticks
Hard Drives – Twenty Four 146 GB 6G DP 15k drives – model number 507129-010
HP Smart Array p410i Controller

Unit was never deployed after being assembled.
Power Cords included
Rails available as well

THERE ARE FOUR OF THE FOLLOWING
Proliant DL380 G6
Product ID: 516653-005
Processors:
Processor 1: Intel Xeon x5570 @ 2.93 Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache
Processor 2: Intel Xeon x5570 @ 2.93 Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache
RAM – 24 GB available
No Hard Drives – Six 3.5 inch drive bays

Rails Available for purchase as well

Powerware 9125 Backup systems – 15 total units – 3 stacks of 5
3 stacks of 5
One APC Smart-UPS SMT3000 2700W/3000VA 120v LCD UPS System
APC Smart-UPS SMT3000 2700W/3000VA 120V LCD UPS System

POWEREDGE 2950
32 GB RAM
2 x 300 GB 3.5 inch HDD
2x 73 GB 3.5 inch HDD
2x Quad Core Intel Xeon e5450 @3.0 GH

:rockin:

Just some notes:

1) The G6 of the Proliant servers is old so don't expect top $ for them. Maybe $3-500 each depending on condition.
2) In my opinion the biggest score is the Storage arrays. Those SAS drives in there are expensive.
3) If the batteries in the APC units are still good you can probably get $500 for them. They go for just over $1k new.
4) The racks when you get them could be worth a few hundred to a few thousand depending on size, brand, and style.

Just some notes:

1) The G6 of the Proliant servers is old so don't expect top $ for them. Maybe $3-500 each depending on condition.
2) In my opinion the biggest score is the Storage arrays. Those SAS drives in there are expensive.
3) If the batteries in the APC units are still good you can probably get $500 for them. They go for just over $1k new.
4) The racks when you get them could be worth a few hundred to a few thousand depending on size, brand, and style.

yeah, I think the drives are the most valuable - any idea where I can sell them besides amazon?

I've emailed/contacted every IT equipment buyer I can find - got some really lowball offers - one person said $300 for all of it....

I think I'm going to scrap the powerware 9125's - probably worth more as scrap anyway - the APC is on the dc/md craigslist circuit,

I had really hoped to find someone to take it all at once...just have to wait now. I will probably end up listing all the drives on amazon

The servers aren't really worth anything because they are old and have very inefficient power supplies, i.e. it costs more in electricity to run them than it does to purchase newer servers with even more computing horsepower and power supplies that barely take any energy at all. That said, they do contain some valuable components:

1) the power supplies themselves have large copper coils
2) the old hard drives, strip the rare-earth magnets from them
3) hot-swappable hard drive trays can sell on ebay
4) really old memory is also difficult to find, so it can also sell on ebay

Agreed with the others, the storage arrays are the valuable items. Those HP SAS storage arrays run for about 6-7 grand apiece new. A lot of people don't like them, though, because they are incapable of operating in JBOD mode.

The racks, I don't know. I rebuilt a data center and I couldn't even give away for free the old racks - nobody wanted them, and they were in good condition. Had to pay somebody to come and take them away.

You might do better off donating the entire lot to a school corporation and taking the tax deduction.

There are almost 1000lbs of batteries in those backups - I get 28 cents a pound for them, they are going for scrap. which is a shame but whatever.

the drives are going on ebay/amazon - unless one of the many it equipment buyers I emailed wants to pay more than a few hundred for them.

racks are going on craigslist.

Back