Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > anybody here union?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
GranillaNutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default anybody here union?

gotta interview today with the electrical union... i know it's not all that big in the south, but the benifits look pretty good. work has really slowd for smaller companies lately and i havn't had a 40 hour check this year. anybody have any horror stories about the union? or fairytales?

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Good luck with your interview. I've been IBEW in Chicago for 15 years. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Bennies are great, the union (usually) stands behind you 100% when you're in the right...

Just a warning, though, be prepared for some union bashing here. There were a couple of mean-sprited threads in the debate forum a few months ago, with people who know little-or-nothing about trade unions doing most of the posting.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I would bash but with this economy a job is a job. Good luck.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

well i went to the interview... i don't think i liked what i heard while i was there... i do currently have a job so it's not like i was going there just cuz i was broke. it seemd like it would've been a really good move to join them if i would've joined them while i was fresh out of high school with no experience... i would recommend going union to anybody just starting a trade... it seemd like the 7 years of experience and the journeyman license i have didn't really mean a whole lot to them and they still wanted me to take a pay cut plus go thru a 5 year apprentiship program just to learn things there way. i think i'll just stick on persueing my masters licence and start my own business eventually. i was mainly checking it out because of the insurance (which i have none now). i'm just about 30 and i don't wanna go thru ANOTHER training program. well i gave it a shot and it's not for me, thats for sure.
at least i have the rest of the day off today and i can continue with my keggle

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Sounds like you've made a good decision. You might look into 'disaster' insurance. I carried that for years. It's just a high-deductible that has good coverage once you hit $4-5K worth of bills. Typically, it's a quarter the cost and if you are relatively healthy, a good deal. Plus, you can qualify for a Health Savings Account that let's you pay your medical bills in pre-tax dollars without having to itemize or exceed the normal percentage of base income.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranillaNutz View Post
well i went to the interview... i don't think i liked what i heard while i was there... i do currently have a job so it's not like i was going there just cuz i was broke. it seemd like it would've been a really good move to join them if i would've joined them while i was fresh out of high school with no experience... i would recommend going union to anybody just starting a trade... it seemd like the 7 years of experience and the journeyman license i have didn't really mean a whole lot to them and they still wanted me to take a pay cut plus go thru a 5 year apprentiship program just to learn things there way. i think i'll just stick on persueing my masters licence and start my own business eventually. i was mainly checking it out because of the insurance (which i have none now). i'm just about 30 and i don't wanna go thru ANOTHER training program. well i gave it a shot and it's not for me, thats for sure.
at least i have the rest of the day off today and i can continue with my keggle

If you've got 7 years AND a license behind you, they should, at the very least, bring you in under what's known as a "Book 4". That gets you scale wages and bennies. Then you have to put in your hours under union contractors and take a couple of tests, and you're up to a "Book 1."
If you're still interested, I would go into the International website : International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers - Int'l Office.
It sounds like whoever you were talking to didn't know the proper procedures.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Now that I think about it, though, work is probably so slow there, that they aren't giving out permits which will allow you to work as a Book 4.
I'd wait it out until the economy turns around and work opens up, then apply for a permit. They should take you in a heartbeat.

Albert Einstein

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

despite popular belief.. work really hasn't slowed too much here. it's allways a lil slow in between xmass and tax return time. i expect it to pick up in the spring. the disaster insurance sounds like a good move to me. i RARELY go to the doctor for anything.. i think the last time i had to go was for an root canal. i've mended all my broken bones by myself and if i have a cold i usually just drink rum and coke.. (don't know if it helps the cold but it sure does make me feel good )

Quick Reply