The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anybody ever build their own house??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 101 Posts

Default Anybody ever build their own house??

I'm looking to buy another house, well maybe build one..I've found a nice piece of land(3+) for a good price. Has anybody ever built there own. Maybe not accually build it, but start from scratch?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are you talking physically build it with your hands or sub out all the different tasks?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
Are you talking physically build it with your hands or sub out all the different tasks?
Some with my own hands and sub some out. I know people that can do different jobs.Site clearing, electrical,plumbing Landscaping,drywall etc..I have to find someone for foundation and framing..How much less is it to build your own? Anybody know?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers
Some with my own hands and sub some out. I know people that can do different jobs.Site clearing, electrical,plumbing Landscaping,drywall etc..I have to find someone for foundation and framing..How much less is it to build your own? Anybody know?
Anything you do yourself is about 1/4-1/2 the price of subbing it out. Of course you run the risk of not knowing what the hell you're doing, but I like to DIY as much as I can...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Chances are you won't save anything, people without experience running a job site tend to waste the money they may save correcting mistakes in scheduling etc. If you want a well run job with the possibility of saving money your best bet is to find a general contractor you can trust.

That said if you can put in the time and energy required (you really need to be on site A LOT) it can be very rewarding. But DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you start, there is a lot more to it than people think.

Best thing is leave structure, plumbing, electrical, etc to the pros. Tackle things like finished carpentry, painting and whatnot yourself. Just as rewarding but you also know your home is sound.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

My friend is doing it. That's were i got the idea. He built his first house without subbing much out. He had a hard time and took for ever. This house he's subbing most of it...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Chances are you won't save anything, people without experience running a job site tend to waste the money they may save correcting mistakes in scheduling etc. If you want a well run job with the possibility of saving money your best bet is to find a general contractor you can trust.

That said if you can put in the time and energy required (you really need to be on site A LOT) it can be very rewarding. But DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you start, there is a lot more to it than people think.

Best thing is leave structure, plumbing, electrical, etc to the pros. Tackle things like finished carpentry, painting and whatnot yourself. Just as rewarding but you also know your home is sound.
I agree. I'm not in construction anymore, but many of my friends and a few family members are contractors.I probably wouldn't use them but I'm sure they know some quality contractors It's something I just started thinking about. This property kinda fell on my lap and I was thinking..Hmmmmmm...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers
I agree. I'm not in construction anymore, but many of my friends and a few family members are contractors.I probably wouldn't use them but I'm sure they know some quality contractors It's something I just started thinking about. This property kinda fell on my lap and I was thinking..Hmmmmmm...
Sounds like a fun project then. I agree about not using your friends as contractors, you don't want a building dispute to ruin a friendship. Getting the shell put up professionally and closed in is probably your best bet. Then as you have time you can handle all the rest of the jobs (with subs or by yourself) as time permits. It's nice not to have to worry about the weather.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Sounds like a fun project then. I agree about not using your friends as contractors, you don't want a building dispute to ruin a friendship. Getting the shell put up professionally and closed in is probably your best bet. Then as you have time you can handle all the rest of the jobs (with subs or by yourself) as time permits. It's nice not to have to worry about the weather.
Time wouldn't really be an issue. I have a two-family house that I can live in until it's done..Thanks for your imput...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Even if you know framing, electrical and plumbing, most cities won't let a non licensed person do the work and get a permit signed off. Even if they do, you'll haev to deal with fails sometimes ripping stuff out and starting over.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply