Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any training tips for a 5K run???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Gustav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any training tips for a 5K run???

I'm going to do my first attempt at a 5K run in two weeks. I'm in pretty good shape, but I've never run before. I was on the treadmill last night and I'm hoping to finish in 30 minutes or less.

Any training tips? How do I pace myself?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I love exercise, but HATE running. I am athletic, I am just anatomically not cut out for fast or extended running, therefore I hate it. I play a very demanding sport and have to run at least 5 times a week, and I usually push myself until I puke. I have run a few 5Ks and this is what I do to train:

1. Jog
2. Jog
3. Jog
4. Once my endurance is built up and plateaued, I monitor my diet and how it affects my performance.
5. Once that is determined you can start finding the right pace for a 5K.

This is very specific to my body for your results may very. Basically once I have my endurance built up most of my variables are made constant I start finding a good pace.

Now my rugby workouts are a complete different story

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Google "couch to 5k" - there's a site out there for runners with training tips on how to get ready.

Interval training is the key - you start out alternating between jogging and walking at intervals (depending on your current level of fitness), something like 3 minutes of walking then 90 seconds of jogging) - gradually increasing the time you jog vs. walk, then work up to jogging and running.

I've done a few 5k jog/walks - they're a lot of fun.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Gustav
Recipes 

Can I run every day, or should I run every other day with rest in between?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Gustav
Recipes 

Last night I did 35 minutes on the treadmill between a 10 and 8 1/2 minute a mile pace.

I just printed a map of the course. They get about 700 runners.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3077 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

You are gonna want to take days off. If you don't normally run, your body (feet, knees, muscles) are not gonna like it. But don't give up, just take it easy. Push yourself and you won't be there on race day.

I suggest you NOT make any effort to run a certain time. Just concentrate on achieving a pace you can sustain for the entire run. Do this when you train (pace).

5k is not that much, so you're not likely to shat yourself or die along the way. But with only 2 weeks start training, you're not likely to win either

A great way to pace yourself on race day is get behind a runner-looking girl and try to keep up - incentive there ya know. I did this in a race and posted a great time.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tips? Don't forget to make your shoe laces are tied....

Take a day off from running and do plyometrics, thats the good stuff

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
A great way to pace yourself on race day is get behind a runner-looking girl and try to keep up - incentive there ya know. I did this in a race and posted a great time.
I tend to start out way too fast if I don't do this. I have trouble setting my own pace and I find it's best to find someone who's running at a steady comfortable pace to begin with to try and find my stride.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Find a local runner and make sure you get your breathing and stride down. It is amazing how many people are terrible runners just because they don't have a good stride.

Don't take a day off completely. Can you currently jog for 30 min straight without a problem? If so, just do a light jog on your day off. If not, go on a long walk on your day off. It will keep you in the habit of running every day and help get your circulation up to promote healing.

If you can, practice on the course you will be running. It will help you set your pace, and then you can get used to any hills on the course. This will also ensure that you get your body conditioned to run at the conditions (temp/humidity) that you will be experiencing during the run.

Train for a 6k. You don't want to get your body used to running 5k and then quitting.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3077 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

It's amazing what a day off will do for your next run. I heard a woman call that day off her "injury prevention program". Break it down, build it up.

Spaghetti / pasta is great just before a run. I ALWAYS eat a tums before I run, even training (like today!). Nothing like a bit of acid 3 miles in to ruin it.

If you continue running beyond your race, start looking at shoes. They can make a big difference. A persistent pain can go away instantly with a shoe change. I know this from my own experience. I now run in Nike Vomeros which are great for my various pains.

Quick Reply