The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any tips for earning extra cash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselord View Post

To the comment regarding oral services -- how do i get paid for getting BJs?
Hmmm, like some sort of a product evaluator, or "secret shopper" for for the sex trade industry.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'm thinking of doing math/science tutoring for HS/College, but i don't know how to break into that.
You could try Craigslist Ads offering tutoring. Make flyers for tutoring and post them on bulletin boards at a local college or university. If you have any teacher/professor friends, use them to help put you in touch with struggling students.

Quote:
Wondering how far I could get selling 75% of my woodworking shop, musical instruments/gear, and other various toys...
Can you make stuff to sell at craft shows? Do you have a lathe? Maybe you can make some tap handles or mash paddles to sell to people around here.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioardz View Post
Can you make stuff to sell at craft shows? Do you have a lathe? Maybe you can make some tap handles or mash paddles to sell to people around here.
Yeah. If you can turn really nice tap handles, 25 bucks apiece would be nothing for really nice ones.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
julioardz
Recipes 

Another thought about your woodworking shop...
If you have a belt sander of sorts that can be fitted with knife sharpening belts, could you offer a knife sharpening service? There's a guy that sets up at a farmer's market I go to who sharpens knives. He charged me $16 for 2 large kitchen knives and had a table full of knives and tools waiting to be sharpened. That was well over $100 he made on a Sunday morning.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
distributistdad
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Alright, here goes:

If you like homebrewing equipment / stuff and tinkering:

Put together a couple DIY stirplates. If you don't have the parts lying around, order them off eBay and assemble. I think that you could probably put together a couple for less than $20. Try selling locally on Craigslist first, if you don't get any takers try selling them on this website. If it works well, start putting more together using the money you made.

Have your buddies/neighbors/whomever save all their pry off amber bottles. Get six packs and case boxes from your local liquor store and spend the time soaking/scrubbing the bottles to get them clean, labels removed, packed into cases and ready to roll. A guy here sells them for $8/case.

If you are really handy/thrifty try doing the above for a keggle build. If you can get ahold of a keg and know how you can get it cut, etc. run the ad on Craigslist and see if you can get a buyer before you actually get the work done.

Once you got these things running, I could see you making a couple hundred bucks a month, no problem.

Other ideas -- sell things you have sitting around on Craigslist or eBay. I frequently buy furniture on Craigslist that is rough with good bones, paint or strip and restain it and then resell it. SWMBO and I actually really enjoy that as a Friday night project when the weather is nice. We'll put the kids to bed and repurpose a 6-drawer dresser into a TV stand. Last one I got had a leg broke off it, I sawed the other three off, converted the top drawers into shelves for Blu-ray/cable boxes and we painted the whole thing a neutral color. Paid $20 for the dresser, put about $25 into supplies and paint and sold for $240 on Craigslist.

Another buddy of mine refinishes old tools. He'll buy old penny hammer heads, ax heads, etc. on eBay or Craigslist or at estate/garage sales then fashion handles & oils them, sharpened and restore the heads and make leather covers for the axes or cases for the hammers. He typically marks up his products about 750% to 1000% of his investment and a lot of people are willing to pay a hundred bucks for a really cool restored vintage ax, for example.

I like the other ideas of handyman services. A guy in my parish works for FedEx in the afternoons and runs a handyman service in the morning during the week. Most of what he does is install appliances or ceiling fans and painting for people, though he occasionally takes on a bigger project like a bathroom remodel or something like that (he never does anything that would require a permit). If you have the tools/toys that you mentioned above I would think you are probably handy enough to make a go at something like that.

Good luck!

Primaries: St. Servatius Belgian Strong
Carboies: Ed Wort's Apflwein,. Nierra Sevada (2)
Bottled: Nut Brown, St. Lawrence Wit, ESB, Irish Red, Red Rabbit Pale Ale, Spiced Belgian Brown, Nierra Sevada
Up Next: Elevenses Ale, Black Pearl Porter, Oatmeal Porter

Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah. If you can turn really nice tap handles, 25 bucks apiece would be nothing for really nice ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julioardz View Post
Another thought about your woodworking shop...
If you have a belt sander of sorts that can be fitted with knife sharpening belts, could you offer a knife sharpening service? There's a guy that sets up at a farmer's market I go to who sharpens knives. He charged me $16 for 2 large kitchen knives and had a table full of knives and tools waiting to be sharpened. That was well over $100 he made on a Sunday morning.
Any hand made wood items you can sell on-line or locally through craigs list is probably the best to explore. Its not work when you enjoy it.

Up Next: Pale Ale once things slow down on the weekends.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Bottled: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Blend of 3 SMaSH's (Bottled Experiment)

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:

To the comment regarding oral services -- how do i get paid for getting BJs?
I think that would be for giving not getting!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:

I have no problem charging for my time doing work that people "want" done, but i do have a problem for things people "need" getting done. I would think church leadership shares this view.
You confused me here....according to church leadership are farmers bad people as they sell food (which people need) instead of give it away?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Background:
- BSChE + 8 years water treatment engineering
- 15 years hospitality experience
Are you currently working as an Engineer? Seems to me with that income level you should be able to scrap together the money pretty quickly.

Might be easier to cut down the lifestyle spending than to go out and find extra work, if its only $100/week you are chasing after.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
julioardz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
You confused me here....according to church leadership are farmers bad people as they sell food (which people need) instead of give it away?
They're only bad people when producing low quality, highly modified feed and still getting government subsidies. Obviously, barley farmers don't fall into this category

(It's all tounge in cheek, don't take my comment serious)

Quick Reply