Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any stay at home dads here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
tony4444
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any stay at home dads here?

My daughter is 19 months, so that means 19 months of the most challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. But my wife and I knew going in that a lot of sacrifice would be needed for one of us to stay home with the kid. For instance, I so want to move on from Mr. Beer but I have to wait till money frees up, (I'm hoping once she's out of diapers, some of that money could be put toward my new obsession).

Anyways I was just curious to know how many men decided to stay home with kids, and if maybe you might have some tips for a noob.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Well Im kinda a stay at home dad, I wake up at 8:00am with my son and take care of him until 5:00pm when I go to work.I get done at 2:00am and do it all over again. Once you dont have diapers anymore it definately frees up a lot of money. You could easily do extract batches on the stove while your kids are taking a nap as well as bottle and other things.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3496 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm part-time, too. Stay at home in the mornings with my 4 yo before she goes to daycare for the afternoon and I go to work or work from home.

I didn't start brewing until my kids were 3 and 5 so I don't have any decent tips. I'm with riclark, though, on being able to get some brewing related stuff done when the kid is napping.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Get her out of diapers, and on to real food, and you'll be surprised at how much time AND money free up !

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been a SAHD for 4 years now. My youngest is 10 Mo. and I totally love doing it. I only wish I could get some vacation days... alone! !!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I stay at home with my almost 12 month old daughter. I used to brew any day of the week, now I brew less often and only on weekends.

I think I could probably squeeze and extract batch in during the week, but I've got enough beer in kegs that I'm not hurting to extend the pipeline

Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'm a sahd of 3 girls. Oldest is finally in public school. Full time. Brewing is my only solace cuz I've figured out how to do it with minimal effort so I can brew with the kids here. I also visit dadstayshome.com as popodopolus - lots of cool dads there who brew and lots more who don't.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've stayed at home mornings to school my two kids from their very first day in kindergarten. Ben is now in eighth grade, probably will go to private school for high school. Chelsea is in her sophomore year at private school, but I homeschooled her through eighth grade too.

Most men don't have any idea what a blessing it is to spend this much time (on a regular, planned basis) with their kidlets.

I heard/read a statistic once that most fathers have a grand total of the equivalent of ninety days of time spent with their kids while the kids are at home, growing up. I wanted to be the opposite of that concept!

I have always had an afternoon job, when school is over for the day.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I was hurt on the job and started collecting my pension @34 years old from the PD. We had 3 kids and it made more sense for me to stay home with them and my wife went back to work . After the youngest got into HS I went back to work ...

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
tony4444
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
I've been a SAHD for 4 years now. My youngest is 10 Mo. and I totally love doing it. I only wish I could get some vacation days... alone! !!
I hear ya man! Definitely the longest hours I've ever worked!

Quick Reply