Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any other old Dead Heads around?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
VApatriot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

Default Any other old Dead Heads around?

Hey Now!

Just wondering if there are any other old Dead Heads like myself around here. If there are, have you found archive.org yet? If not here's a link:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

I like this site a lot, you can listen to almost every show that's ever been recorded, and there's tons of them by the way . You can download audience tapped shows and listen to soundboards. When you select a show you might want to click on the 'VBP M3U" link on the left side of the page. That opens up the windows media player which has lots more adjustability to the audio.

Just thought I'd pass this along, I know I've seen Jerry's pic on somebody's name, sorry but I can't remember who. Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Hound_Dog
Recipes 

Not a big fan myself, but my cousin did go to seven shows before he was a year old.

My dog smells like PineSol and he insists on sitting on my lap.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
scottthorn
Recipes 

Not sure if I'm an "old" Deadhead - clinging to my 30s for a few more weeks! - but I caught two dozen or so GD and JGB shows between 1990-95. I collected concert recordings on cassette - had over a thousand of them, all GD - and listened to pretty much nothing else for quite some time. I have a well worn copy of Deadbase, tons of books, and I got to meet Phil Lesh at one of his book signings!

After Jerry passed away I started branching out. I really don't listen to the Dead much these days, but will still throw in a show every now and then. I didn't see any of the last tour due to the high ticket price. It didn't help that they didn't play near me, and that Phish, arguably my favorite band, came back this summer after a 5 year hiatus...

But I have to give credit to the GD audience taping scene. That started me on the path to becoming a taper. I now record all sorts of live music, and quite a bit of it ends up on archive.org (Bands must first grant permission before you can upload recordings of them - it's completely legal!) I have a 'bookmark' list where you can check those out - give something a stream or download in mp3, ogg, or lossless FLAC:
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/scottt

nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
scottthorn
Recipes 

Had to post some pics too:

Jerry in NYC, 1971

The band on April 14, 1978

My GDTS mail-order ticket stubs from Spring '93 tour, including the unused tickets for the March 13th show which was canceled due to the "Blizzard of the Century"

nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nope, not here.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that's a grate website...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm gonna have to check that site out. Thanks !!

Just a bit (slightly) off-topic, I saw The Jerry Garcia Band open for Zappa in the early 80's. That was an...interesting show, to say the least !

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I'm not an old deadhead (I'm 23), but I've been listening to The Dead since high school. I've been listening to their archinve, and everything else on there for about 6 or 7 years now.

Make sure to check out the "stream only" shows. They are almost all soundboards. I was on before they decided to make all the soundboards stream only, so I have quite a collection.

I'm streaming Derek Trucks with Jimmy Herring right now though.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seventy+ shows under my belt. Starting at the Spectrum in Philly in 78 when I was 14. It was my first concert ever. My last show was in '95 at the Meadowlands. I almost died that night. A big rig passed within a foot of my face doing 50 MPH while I was trying to cross I10. Sobered me up good and fast.

At one point I had collected a tape of each show that I had seen but they have all seemed to just disappear over the years.

I do have a couple hundred hours worth of shows on my MP3 player now. A lot of Dick's Picks.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #10
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There's at least 100 Deadheads here...check out:

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Deadheads

Here's Professor Frink, Walker-San, Mrs. Walker-San & Boston at Dead Show, Greensboro Coliseum, 4-12-09

deadingreensboro.jpg

Quick Reply