Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any other amatuer radio operators out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
FastAndy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Any other amatuer radio operators out there?

I just recently got my Tech license . Any other hams on the forum? I'm currently using an HT but am looking for a mobile rig to put in my pickup.

Cheers!

KG7HSZ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I've been a HAM for years. A couple of friends got into way back before cell phones and the Internet were common. I got the Tech license, which differs from today's license. I am technically a "NO-CODE" technician, as I did not take or pass the code element.

I've thought about upgrading, but just never got around to studying. I hear there is no code requirement for any level today, so it ought not be too bad to study for.

I have a mobile rig that I keep on a shelf in my room. (2 actually, but the crystal set is not tuned properly and not really worth tuning IMO. I used it as a temporary base station for a short time, but I have it mostly because it was $5 as a swap meet and I wanted something to play with.)

I also have 2 handy talkies, but one is receive only now, and I'm not even sure that works. The one that does work is never charged.

I just haven't desired using my HAM stuff since cell phones and internet got to be so ubiquitous. I sometimes see other HAM license plates on cars and remember that I have one, but I don't even have my mobile rig in my Jeep and then I feel sad. I think that if you have a Jeep, and a HAM license, you really OUGHT to have a radio installed. My new spring project: find a place to mount my radio in my Cherokee.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I got my Novice in 8th grade. Going through a class led by a family friend and studying up was a great father/son activity. I got my Tech sometime later. My father went all the way to the end with an Expert license and frequently volunteered for marathons and parade communications (Football Hall of Fame was one of his favorite local events to help with). I never had much interest in using it. A whiz-bang Commodore 128 and Atari 2600 attracted all my attention in those years. I think I renewed it once, but then let it expire the second time. My call sign was N8JYT. (Remember it, because a local club member phoneticized it as Jumbo Young Turkey).

When seeing license plates and antennas on cars, I've wondered how active the community still was in this mobile data age. Especially things like "packet" (I think that's what the computer data sent by radio was called).

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Oh yeah, my cal is KB8VUB (Phonetically it has been called, "Killer Bears Ate Very Ugly Boy").

Packet is data sent via radio waves, similar to Wi-Fi, but different. Only saw a small demonstration that my friend did a long time back.

I used the Autopatch a fair amount around the area before cell phones were popular. You could key up the local Repeater and patch into it's telephone connection and make local calls. Just had to remind the person on the other end to not swear, etc.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
FastAndy
Recipes 

Homer you are correct about no code nowadays. It seems that the off road community is a huge part of keeping ham radio alive. At least here in Nevada where terrain can make cell phone and CB almost useless outside of a city. I read that the FCC is issuing thousands of new licenses a month as well as many upgrades so it seems it isn't going anywhere. I think there is a large "prepper" following as well. Packet radio is huge, we get a Net from Alaska on a local repeater here in Reno via echolink (Internet node) every morning. Another expensive hobby to keep my we use annoyed.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yeah, with the licenses easier to get I think a lot of people are finding time to get licensed and on the air, at least for 2M and 440. I'm way behind the times, so I don't know what frequency bands tech licenses are allowed on, but it's not a big jump into the next license bracket with no code requirement.

I think I found a spot for my radio. I could remove the sun visor clips and mount a bracket between then and screw them back into place. It would jsut be a metal strip running between them, but would give me something to hang the radio mount.

PLUS, it would help hold up the headliner that has started to sag there...

Homer's Brew Log

Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
FastAndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post

PLUS, it would help hold up the headliner that has started to sag there...
Perfect. The tech license allows 2m and 70 cm voice and CW only in limited frequencies in other bands. I studied online for a week before testing and only missed 2 questions so anyone can do it.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Been meaning to get my license for years now. A few years back, a buddy of mine got his expert level license shortly before we went on a week-long boundary waters trip. He meant to bring his handheld along, as well as all of the study materials for the tech level license, help me study and then administer the test when we got back. But, in the frenzy of packing, he forgot all of that stuff and we've never picked it up again. Still want to do it one of these days...

Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I used to use my HT all over the place back in the day. Camping trips we'd tie a rock onto a rope and toss it over a high tree branch and use it to pull up a 300-Ohm J-Pole antenna (Built with 300-Ohm TV antenna wire.) that you could roll up an place in your pocket. This REALLY extended useable range!

Once while visiting Sleeping Bear Dunes we keyed up and talked to repeaters in Wisconsin using our 5W HTs.

I admit that sometimes after listening to the regulars and Elmers on the repeater or link I get terribly bored. It's the same boring conversations over and over, usually. What would be nice is if I could reach my buddy in Manchester on HF, but I don't have an HF rig!

The one thing I've been wanting to do for a few years is to restore an old Hallicrafters S-38 Shortwave set. It's not a transmitter, but still a cool little AM radio.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2675

Just in case anyone is interested, you can listen & talk to the astronauts/cosmonauts on the ISS:
http://www.issfanclub.com/frequencies
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply