Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any musicians out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Default Any musicians out there?

I know several people have posted that they play an instrument, but what I'm really wondering is if any out there are working musicians. Anywhere from amatuer in a band to college music professor. I'll start with myself.

I have a regular 9-5 job but I give music lessons on the side. I teach guitar and bass lessons as well as brass instruments. I also am a part time coach for a local high school marching band and I play the tuba in a community orchestra. I'll be working on my teaching credential soon so I can dump the sucky 9-5 job. And in my spare time I compose and arrange and play bass in a band. And somewhere in there I find time to brew.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been playing guitar since 1971. I have a '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe, 2 Mexi Strats, a Chinese Strat (which I upgraded the pups so now it's better than the Mexis), and an EL/AC Kamen that I purchased in '81 just to play the acoustic section of Aqualung on stage.

I was in several bands growing up and one in college (1981-3). We played in several bars in So. Jersey. One time we played (auditioned) at one bar and ended up being the house band all summer. That was cool. But I kept my day job. I retire in less than 4 years.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I wish I had some vintage instruments. Your tele is older than me. I have a 98 fender American jazz bass V, a mexican fretless bass, an 01'? american strat that replaced an identical but older one that was stolen, a Yamaha ac/elec and an Ovation mandolin. And my tuba is a Mirafone 186 from the early 80's. I graduated from college in 02' with a degree in music theory & composition and commercial music. Along with the credential, I'll probably start my masters in the next year or so.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I purchased the '76 Tele in 1976.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:15 AM   #5
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

HB99, You are a Senior Member..hehe..Brewwwwwhahaha.

I feel your pain Man!

Started playing guitar at age 15 , got a 1975 Yamaha Acc, a Guild DCE5 AC/Elc and a 2002 Stratocaster. Never did play pro but I slept in a Holiday Inn and I always did want to play backup with Jethro Tullor , Stevie Ray and Led Zep.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I have 3 daughters, 6 grandkids (plus 2 died), and 4 great grandkids. Senior? Yes, older, no. You're as young as you feel.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Amen , Brotha!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:03 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I've played with all the greats like Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Nugent, Sabbath, Floyd, etc...they just didn't know it.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lotta those guys weren't sure who they were playing with sometimes. They were all great . I've been playing guitar for the past 20 years. Got a Squier Bullet ( Cheap assed Fender with a Telecaster neck and a Strat body) that a friend of mine is currently turning into a telecaster. He's making the body from a big slab of juniper and digging up harware here and there. My acoustic is a 1959-62 or thereabouts Silvertone. Don't laugh ! It's a copy of an old Gibson, with f-holes and everything.
Haven't toured since I had to disband Led Zeppelin. The only live playing I do now is in the shed. Helps keep me sane...kinda.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not a professional player yet. Playing in a band for pay is certainly one of the things I would like to do one day. A guy at work, has sort of one man show here he plays/sings raunchy and funny dive songs at local watering holes. He keeps begging me to get good enough to play lead for him. I started playing electric guitar a couple of years ago. I'm not that good of a player yet. Right now, I mostly play a Squier Fat Tele (along with an Affinity Strat). I have champagne tastes, but as you can tell from me posting on this forum, I'm on a beer budget at the moment. lol Actually, the new Squiers are decent quality and are a good value. The Squier Standard Strats, for example, have Alnico pups, while real Fender MIM Strats, have ceramic. The build quality is good too.

Quick Reply