Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > any motorcycle riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
loganb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any motorcycle riders

just wanted some opions on what a good starter bike is for someone who only has experience on a dirt bike like when i was 15. i have done some research online and alot of places say that for a first time rider you should start out on a 250cc bike maybe 500cc depending on your build and how much you know. i saw one that i liked its the yamaha V star 250. and im 6' 170lbs if that matters. the reason i want to get a motorcycle is so that my wife and i are not a one vehicle family here in hawaii cause the army only ships one car. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Lots of good info in my thread from last year.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/the_wife-wants-me-buy-bike-advice-119657/

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
TheManes
Recipes 

I bought a street bike a couple of years ago with the same experience as you - teenage dirt bike riding. I read all the advice etc and ended up buying a 1988 Yamaha Radian for $500. This bike was great - it had a lot of power for a first bike and was really about as much as I could handle at that time, leaving some upside. I think if I had gotten a 250, and I almost did, I would have been looking for a new bike within a month or two.
The sad end to my story is that I sold the bike a year later as a result of the extreme unpopularity my bike had in my house and in my family (and my dad had a Harley growing up). SWMBO got the best of me, took all the fun out of it. But that's another story. I'll just add this - SWMBO had agreed to the bike, didn't love the idea, but ok with it, but then, the day I get the bike - that night! - my wife gets a call from a friend whose cousin's best friends husband dies in a motorcycle accident! So I had no chance after that.
Anyway, get a 500 at least - and don't spend a lot because you'll be trading up in a year when you know what you really want.
Good luck, Ride Free!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
buffalobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started out on a Kawasaki Drifter 800. Not super powerful and after 7 years still has enough get up and go. There is a big difference between a 800 v twin cruiser and an 800 sport bike. Take the MSF course.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If you're 6' tall, you will immediately want something bigger than 500cc'...
There is a WORLD of difference between a 250cc dirt bike and a 1100cc cruiser. Dirt bikes are geared completely different.

I would look at LEAST at getting a V-Star 650. I've never been to Hawaii but, I can imagine there are a ton of great places to ride. You're going to be stationed there for what, 3 years? If you plan on using it as a daily transportation and reselling it, I would look at getting something big enough to resell for what I paid for it. I would be afraid of tearing a smaller bike up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started riding last year with no practical experience outside of the MSF course (highly recommended). I bought an '82 Suzuki GS 650. I am very glad I did not go with a smaller bike.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've been riding my Ninja 250 for about five years now. It's the ONLY 250cc bike I would buy. I'm six foot 185 pounds. If you can't enjoy yourself on a 250 Ninja, you're doing something wrong.

The 250cc cruisers are underpowered. If you're going the cruiser route the 650cc minimum recommended above is probably a good choice.

As for sport bikes, I like them, but wouldn't recommend anything over a 600cc to start with and I would probably only recommend that to someone with a little bit of experience on other bikes. I've done a lot of group rides and seen people who just were not ready for that bike. Kawasaki does offer a 500cc version of the Ninja.

Anyway, as suggested, the MSF is time and money well spent!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
loganb
Recipes 

nice thanks for all the advice i am defenitly goin to take the MSF course. they got one here on wheeler air base so i just have to go across the street. and i was goin to go more towards the 500cc the 250 seems alittle small. but i got a year so this will be another deployment present i guess. my last one was a truck that is in geogia with my father inlaw right now they wanted $1800 to ship it from texas to hawaii but they ship motorcycles with house hold goods and ship you car for free so im good when i get ready to go back to the main land.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Shooter is right about the Ninja 250. I started on a 250 honda, then a 250 Ninja followed by a used 750 Kawasaki ZR-7. I swapped the 250 for the 750 after I started commuting daily.
There I days that I kick myself for doing that, but my Blue Meanie really has been crazy reliable and very inexpensive to insure.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganb View Post
nice thanks for all the advice i am defenitly goin to take the MSF course. they got one here on wheeler air base so i just have to go across the street. and i was goin to go more towards the 500cc the 250 seems alittle small. but i got a year so this will be another deployment present i guess. my last one was a truck that is in geogia with my father inlaw right now they wanted $1800 to ship it from texas to hawaii but they ship motorcycles with house hold goods and ship you car for free so im good when i get ready to go back to the main land.
The Ninja 250 engine is designed to rev pretty high. So, it's fairly surprising and very manuverable. I take the thing on back roads as well as the local freeways with no problem. However, there are a couple of good 500cc machines out there. Suzuki makes a 500cc machine that I've always kind of liked, but I'm not sure performance wise if it's really a massive jump over the little Kawasaki. The Ninja 500 is a nice bike. It's slightly larger than the 250, but not outrageously so.

As far as cruisers, I know that Kawasaki used to make a 500cc cruiser. I originally looked into it, not a bad bike and the size was much better than the tiny 250 cruisers like the Yamaha Virago or the Honda Rebel. However, for a cruiser I really would probably go with a 650cc machine minimum. That might sound big, but a 650cc twin cruiser and a 600cc sportbike are two completely different animals. Any bike can be dangerous if not handled properly, but one of those two can speed you towards that death a lot quicker than the other one!

EDIT: So, also, that is me in my avatar photo on the 250. As you can see, it's not a large bike, but it also is not like I'm riding a tiny circus motorcycle built for a clown! The Ninja 500 would be just slightly larger.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Last edited by Shooter; 05-25-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Quick Reply