Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > any locksmiths or advice you can give

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Penguin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any locksmiths or advice you can give

ok i have a 2001 tundra and it never came with any keychain device for unlocking the doors. it is power locks and i have been unlocking the drivers side door manually for about 6 years now. Anyone have any problems with the actual lock barrel in the door failing. i have to wobble the key to try and get it to slide in to unlock the door. The passenger side door is as smooth as ever unlocking. i just dont want to have to unlock from the passenger side just to get in. my key is getting pretty rounded from years of use but i dont think thats the issue since ignition and passenger side work just fine. If i do need to replace the barrel should i take it to the toyota dealer or would a locksmith suffice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Have you tried just replacing the key? It would be the much easier and cheaper fix if that worked.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Penguin
Recipes 

fixed it. the locksmith i called suggested trying some grease less lubricant first. i hit it with some LPS1 and presto! its working like a charm now. i am however going to get another key made soon before this one gets too rounded to use.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you go to a good lock smith, they should be able to get the factory cut from your VIN; better then trying to copy a worn key Glad it's working!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Lyndon
Recipes 

I think you need to visit the company only not the locksmith for it.But if it is the problem of the key you can visit the locksmith...

Quick Reply