Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any hunters out here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #61
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
Elk. 6x6 not small ya jerk
I didn't mean it that way!

It is young though, right? Don't the antlers turn much darker as they get older? I've never hunted elk before, but when I lived in Colorado I use to see them all of the time while camping and fishing. Elk are beautiful, I hope to hunt them one day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #62
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1314 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Yes, young bull. 3-4 year old, but he did have is own heard already. He was going to be BIG, but then he walked in a restricted perimeter.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #63
delta
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I mostly hunt turkeys and ducks, but I've been known to occasionally hunt deer. My nephew killed two does the first two days of season here.....he is now home....the target buck will, hopefully, have a 41mag hard cast 255gr pushed with a stout load of 2400 in its shoulder by Friday.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #64
judge-t
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

hunting time here in texas,my son killed a 17and1/2 in. 8pt. whitetail last saturday morning!can`t wait to get meat back from locker, goes great with a good beer!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #65
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

First year really trying to hunt anything. Mostly taking my nephew out because he is really into it. He gets a lot of squirrels. We we went out for deer opening day. He shot a buck, I was really surprised, but we couldn't find it. I think the shot might have just grazed him. We saw a couple spots of blood but that was about it. I'm really proud of him. He weighs maybe 110 lbs but he fires my Browning 12 ga 20" barrel with 2 3/4" slugs with no problem. He got a 20ga as a gift but it is light, and with 3" slugs it left a black and blue mark on his shoulder.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #66
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I like to hunt deer, turkeys and pheasants and one day if I get time ducks and geese.

I've been getting more into bowhunting lately. Just traded in my Bowtech Destroyer 340 for a Hoyt Charger. It's a pretty sweet bow for the money.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #67
PapsD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73
First year really trying to hunt anything. Mostly taking my nephew out because he is really into it. He gets a lot of squirrels. We we went out for deer opening day. He shot a buck, I was really surprised, but we couldn't find it. I think the shot might have just grazed him. We saw a couple spots of blood but that was about it. I'm really proud of him. He weighs maybe 110 lbs but he fires my Browning 12 ga 20" barrel with 2 3/4" slugs with no problem. He got a 20ga as a gift but it is light, and with 3" slugs it left a black and blue mark on his shoulder.
That's awesome you take your nephew hunting. He'll remember that for the rest of his life.

No blood doesn't mean the deer isn't dead especially if it was shot out of a treestand with a 20 ga. Even a 3in 20ga slug usually won't go all the way through a deer. Did u find any hair where your nephew shot him?

The buck might be dead out there. The meat is almost certainly spoiled but you could still get the antlers.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #68
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Thanks I may take another walk back to see if we can find it. He actually shot it using my 12 ga, with a 2 3/4" rifled slug shell. I didn't notice any hair in the area. I couldn't believe how quickly he acted. We were sitting in our 'blind', and he heard something behind us. He had been using some kind of doe sound thing, and he said this high pitched noise we were hearing was a buck. I saw his eyes get huge as he slowly turned around. Next thing I knew he stood up and fired a round at that buck. We looked around and could see the spots of blood and some fresh marks on this little ravine it jumped over but didn't know where it went after that. It was kind of thick brush around that area.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #69
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

image-1751304324.jpg

Got this 8 point last Friday.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #70
PapsD
Recipes 

A 12 ga won't always pancake them either. Slugs are extremely powerful @ close range but rifled slugs are pretty inaccurate past 50 yards even 3in magnums. A deer that's just wounded even with a slug can still run a long way.

That buck might be in that thicket.

But if you're in a ravine and if your nephew shot too far back he might be laying in a creek.

The best thing to do is go back to the last place you saw the deer or blood and start walking in widening spiral around that spot. It's easier the more people you have with you.

Quick Reply